smeeze

Brendan Rodgers 2019 Outlook

8 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Prior to Rodgers callup, McMahon started just 5 of their last 10 games.  Now they call up one of the best prospects in baseball and they're having an open competition for 2B?  There was plenty of time to just let McMahon play everyday, instead of splitting starts with combination of Valaika and Hampson.  You don't call up a prospect like Rodgers and then do stuff like this.  Rockies are already screwing him.  This is beyond stupid.

lmao at Bud Black babbling about how to manage a players development.  Most of the development is done, they made it to the show.  Now you put them in the lineup.  Rodgers will now have 3 off days and sat the last 2 games.

I'm sorry but it is not that simple.  Every player is different and every team (especially the Rockies with how bad there players play on the road) requires different strategies.  I'm not blanket defending the Rockies decisions, but Bud Black is a really, really smart baseball guy and he is not making decisions out of ignorance or to screw with young guys developments.

For a counter example to everyone thinking the Rockies screw up every young player, Raimel Tapia has developed quite nicely despite the sporadic PT.

Take Mark Reynolds behind the barn and give him the Old Yeller treatment.  

Put Ian Desmond on a raft, shove him down the river, and wave goodbye.  

Keep Patty Barrels on the bench as a util player

Outfield of: Blackmon, Tapia, Dahl, Hampson

Infield of: Arenado, Story, Murphy, McMahon, Rodgers

it doesn’t have to be hard, but they’re making it so

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

I'm sorry but it is not that simple.  Every player is different and every team (especially the Rockies with how bad there players play on the road) requires different strategies.  I'm not blanket defending the Rockies decisions, but Bud Black is a really, really smart baseball guy and he is not making decisions out of ignorance or to screw with young guys developments.

For a counter example to everyone thinking the Rockies screw up every young player, Raimel Tapia has developed quite nicely despite the sporadic PT.

Except that Colorado has a consistent pattern of signing veterans who have just a little left in the tank, if anything at all, and utilizing them over promising young talent. Not sure how this is even arguable. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, nittanychris said:

Except that Colorado has a consistent pattern of signing veterans who have just a little left in the tank, if anything at all, and utilizing them over promising young talent. Not sure how this is even arguable. 

We’re talking about Rodgers and since the issue vis a vis pt is in relation to McMahon, your point is completely irrelevant. 

For all the flak McMahon has gotten, he’s actually hit the ball fairly well. 

2 hours ago, Magoo said:

What does Rockies players having poor stats on the road have anything to do with the Rockies not fully committing to Rodgers?  Everyone knows how Coors can inflate offensive stats.  I like Bud Black, but I'm not sure all of these decisions are entirely up to him either. Also not sure how many rookies he's handled so well that he should be given credit on how he handles these situations

3 hours ago, Magoo said:

We’re talking about Rodgers and since the issue vis a vis pt is in relation to McMahon, your point is completely irrelevant. 

For all the flak McMahon has gotten, he’s actually hit the ball fairly well. 

Mark Reynolds is still getting ABs, so my point is extremely relevant. 

Posted (edited)

Lol holy s*** they’ve given Mark Reynolds 100+ at bats already to waffle away to a .200 clip.  Some managers like Pete Rose got off on gambling on his team, some like Lou Piniella got off on screaming at umps tossing bases, Bud Black gets off on stripe earners.  How hard is it to just DFA Reynolds.  If Trevor Story didn’t hit 19 homers in April upon his first callup he probably would of got Wally pipped by Neifi Perez.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 5

Gonna give this a couple weeks at least before concluding anything. Definitely at least let's see him play at home. Kid's track record deserves seeing more than 8abs. 

25 minutes ago, Minnesota_Jack said:

Gonna give this a couple weeks at least before concluding anything. Definitely at least let's see him play at home. Kid's track record deserves seeing more than 8abs. 

Tell that to bud black

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Magoo said:

If you listen to Bud Black he continually emphasizes the importance of balancing ABs and days off with a young players development. Rodgers will play but anyone expecting full time ABs because of prospect status was ignoring Blacks modus operandi 

Yes, yes...sitting two games in a row is definitely the smart approach for the 22 year old top prospect. Phew...these kids these days really need to be coddled and handled with kid gloves. Bud Black to the rescue. 

1 hour ago, Watermock said:

Yes, yes...sitting two games in a row is definitely the smart approach for the 22 year old top prospect. Phew...these kids these days really need to be coddled and handled with kid gloves. Bud Black to the rescue. 

Sitting a Coors rookie on the road with known issues adjusting to new levels is not a bad idea

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Meanwhile Hiura has started nearly every game despite having like 14 LOB in his first three games.

lolrockies

3 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Meanwhile Hiura has started nearly every game despite having like 14 LOB in his first three games.

lolrockies

I know I’m fighting against SNT syndrome here, but it’s not an apples to apples comparison. Countless touted Rockie rookies have flamed out over the years while random guys blowup. Playing half your games in Coors and half away is a different beast so taking different approaches to rookies isn’t  crazy and/or automatically stupid thinking.

On 5/16/2019 at 2:35 PM, bradwatson said:

Rodgers doesn't fit in with "these guys". He's been the #1 prospect in their minor league system for 4 years now. He has the best pedigree of any Rox prospect since Arenado, and that includes Story. I'm not saying he's going to be a stud or that he'll be treated differently, but he's different from a prospect standpoint than any other recent callups in their system.

Hate to say I told ya so.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Eddie Mush said:

Hate to say I told ya so.

Clearly no you don't. And it's been 4 games... This board loves to freak out. I'm taking a wait and see approach.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

I know I’m fighting against SNT syndrome here, but it’s not an apples to apples comparison. Countless touted Rockie rookies have flamed out over the years while random guys blowup. Playing half your games in Coors and half away is a different beast so taking different approaches to rookies isn’t  crazy and/or automatically stupid thinking.

He hasn't played a game in Coors.  What is the adjustment needed here?  Not saying  the Rockies are destroying him but given that it has been 4 games and they've already sat him twice, I'm having trouble seeing any compelling rationale.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kramjam24 said:

He going today?

Rockies haven't released their line-up yet.

1 hour ago, bradwatson said:

Clearly no you don't. And it's been 4 games... This board loves to freak out. I'm taking a wait and see approach.

This. 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AHF said:

He hasn't played a game in Coors.  What is the adjustment needed here?  Not saying  the Rockies are destroying him but given that it has been 4 games and they've already sat him twice, I'm having trouble seeing any compelling rationale.

My general point was more of “they aren’t doing it just to screw with him” and obviously have a reason. I was speculating that it might help his confidence and/or initial adjustments to get used to Coors. Just playing devil’s advocate to the mob to a large extent.

Edited by Magoo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

image.png.af17271dca1a1d04a821433b1234a026.png

Why Bud hasn't penciled Arenado into the 3 spot for the past 6 years blows my mind.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

Why Bud hasn't penciled Arenado into the 3 spot for the past 6 years blows my mind.

Pencil in with a pen 

• Like 1

Was Bud a Rockies fan prior to accepting the job?