Sign in to follow this  
nlm

Did I get a fair return?

Posted (edited)

I just pulled off a big trade, likely the last move I make for a good bit. 

I sent Charlie Blackmon, Clint Frazier, and Nicky Lopez and in return received George Springer and Brandon Brennan.

Brennan was to help even out the deal, and I sent Frazier as a throw-in and also to get him off of my roster (he has been pretty terrible since his ankle injury, but would be claimed in this league since it is deep with really deep rosters) but the main piece I was after here is Springer. I also knew he coveted Lopez.

Obviously, Blackmon for Springer is the Springer side, but this will leave my middle infield and corner infield options at La Stella and Kendrick (with Chapman at 3B, Albies at 2B, and Machado at SS)

Was this a wise move, or did I sacrifice too many parts for Springer?
Thanks in advance, leave a link and I'll return the favor!

Edited by nlm

Posted (edited)

My offense would look like this post-trade, also opening up a slot for an add...

C Contreras
1B Abreu
2B Albies
3B Chapman
SS Machado
CI Kendrick
MI La Stella
OF Springer
OF Benintendi
OF Polanco
OF Soler
OF Reddick
UTL Dahl

BN: Mercado, Winker, Y. Alvarez (NA)

My MR (since Brennan was the other piece) are:
Alvarado
Leclerc
E. Diaz
C. Martin
Robles
Brennan

I also will have one open roster slot. There's a chance I just cut Brennan or use his spot to stream, as this was a quantity for quality deal. Frazier was a guy I was starting when Dahl or Winker wound up on the bench, and my only concern now is I have a few OF (or more than a few) who are prone to sitting games out (Polanco, Winkler, Dahl--to an extent, Reddick). He was not doing anything, but as I noted above, someone would have scooped him off the wire so I'd rather have dealt him for something.
Is the upgrade big enough to sacrifice depth? I feel like this is an easy answer, but I never pull off really big deals like this.

Edited by nlm

thats a fine deal for you. you didnt sacrifice too much imo. curious as to what your waiver wire looks like (not crazy about kendrick being your ci). also, how many teams in this league?

• Thanks 1

12 teams, but super active and the wire moves REALLY fast (no cap on transactions, and one thing I dislike--no faab, just waivers and priority), and very deep rosters/benches.

here's a peak at the top CI/MI and MR at the moment, as I am hoping to add a MR or MI/CIUTL... I missed the boat on Hiura, Rodgers, Riley, etc. and Yordan is the guy I've been stashing for about 2wks now. I don't feel it would be right to drop him now.

I'll also throw in some of the top OF options... I am on fangraphs, so I'll go by the top "score" they have:

MI/CI:
1b/of Jay Bruce (on waivers 'til MON)
2b, 3b, ss Asdrubal Cabrera (waivers 'til MON)
1b Brandon Belt (not a horrible option for CI imo)
3b Renato Nunez
1b/of Jake Bauers (WW 'til Sun)
1b/2b/of Niko Goodrum (WW 'til Mon)
1b/of Eric Thames (WW 'til Sun)

So yeah...not a lot to see there.
____

MR (*current starters listed as MR)
John Means*
Collin McHugh
Jalen Beeks*
Felix Pena*
Roenis Elias (WW til 2am tonight--I may target him, but this trade won't open up a spot until it goes through tomorrow at midnight)
Seth Lugo (I like Lugo)
Craig Stammen
Amir Garrett
Liam Hendriks (I like him)
Scott Barlow (like him a lot too)
Bryan Shaw
Tommy Kahnle (like him as well)

Not as bad as the mi/ci crop...there are guys in there I like who aren't among the top scorers on Fantrax too... Reyes Moronta being one.

__
OF:
Kevin Pillar
Jason Heyward (I owned him for quite a bit, but he has fallen off)
Bruce
Brett Gardner
Leonys Martin
Steven Duggar
Jake Bauers
Robbie Grossman
Niko Goodrum
Eric Thames
Albert Almora Jr.

So yeah...the wire is pretty thin. Sometimes you get lucky and find someone who is streaking or about to streak, which is how I landed La Stella. It's rare to find any sticking production on the wire in this league. Lots of the same guys bounce on and off of it, though.

Any other thoughts? I was thinking that maybe I could flip a player like Dahl for an infielder, but I don't know what the equivalent type of player would be to target....As you can see from my above post, the wire is pretty thin.

Boiling down to Springer over Blackmon, I like the deal.

• Thanks 1

I like the deal. As others have alluded too, really comes down to Blackmon vs Springer at the end of the day. Yeah you "added" some good pieces to Blackmon, but nothing that is significantly better than what can eventually be found on the waiver wire at this point in time. So going with the hot hand makes a lot of sense. Especially where Blackmon is creeping up in age. Hard to tell when his production will start to slow down.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the help. Springer hit his league-leading 17th HR tonight and is staying hot. The guy I pulled the trade off with is in last place, and has a lot of holes, but the way I try to look at this is Nicky Lopez shouldn't be a reason to not try and upgrade my OF1 slot, which at the previous point in time, was Charlie Blackmon.

• Like 1

Thumbs up. 

• Like 1

I posted what my wire has to offer above... Just wondering what I should look into adding? A CI bench bat or somebody to cover me on days when Kendrick rests is probably most-needed, and Asdrubal Cabrera caught my eye. The sad irony is the team I just dealt with dropped him, so I could have probably just asked for him instead of Brennan (not that he's a great option by any means, but there's not a ton of IF help right now).

I also have a roster spot I'm manipulating--Steven Matz is set to come off of IL tomorrow, and I'll likely use him in his start, but for now I'm keeping him on the IL list since my league has 4 slots. This allows me one opening, so I can target Elias who is off the wire at 2am this morn. I don't think I'll get him, since I'm #8/12 on WW priority.
My 2nd WW priority (also on WW 'til 2am) to Elias is Scott Kingery, who I could add to IL and flip with Matz as a nice stash. He has MI eligibility and would be nice to have upon his return, and he set off on rehab recently.

Still wouldn't mind some opinions on the names on the WW above. I'll have an open slot again to fill tomorrow after this trade goes through.

I like the deal, unless it is a deeper format where depth is more important, but overall I really think Springer was very overlooked this year and should be a stud and  Blackmon, while still solid. will become even streakier and more dependent on Coors as he ages. Lopez and Frazier are nice upside players but you could find close to their production is a normal league off waivers. Thumbs up in general. Thanks for mine and good luck

• Like 1