Sign in to follow this  
jerrysarms

Anthony Kay SP NYM

I dont know too much about him other than a 2016 1st rounder, being sidelined in 2017 with TJ, and bouncing back pretty strong so far in AA.

Rumblings that he should get a shot this year.

Latest outing: 7 IP, 3H, 0R, 1W, 7K

This kid going to start making noise?

Came across this:

Mark: Has Anthony Kay pushed into a top 100 guy? Seems like his stuff is back and maybe better than ever.
Keith Law: Stuff is back, healthy, don’t think the stuff is any better but he needed more time to recover his command and be able to hold his stuff deep into games. I’m like a broken record on this but not every guy who has TJ comes back fresh as a daffodil the moment he returns to pro ball. Some guys take way longer, some need a second surgery (Espinoza and Ragans already this year), some just never come back.
Keith Law: Anyway, yeah, Kay’s pretty damn good.

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2019/05/24/klawchat-5-24-19/

And this:

Anthony Kay – (NYM AA) LHP ETA 2020

The Mets picked Anthony Kay with the 31st overall pick, a compensatory pick they received when Daniel Murphy signed with the Nationals, in 2016.  Kay did not pitch in games after being drafted and had Tommy John surgery in the Fall of 2016, which caused him to miss the entire 2017 season.  In 2018, he pitched in two levels, A and A+, with a 4.54 and 3.88 ERA respectively.

Kay has been even better in AA, a pretty aggressive assignment by the Mets.  In 50.2 innings, Kay has 52 strikeouts to only 17 walks. He SwStk% is back up to double digits as well. As of the post, his 1.07 ERA is second only to Zach Plesac, who I wrote about last week, and has been promoted to AAA.  Kay has an average fastball and a plus changeup and curveball. I would take a flyer on Kay in most dynasty leagues. Hopefully, he can be healthier than another Mets pitcher that went to the same high school, Steven Matz.

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/the-stash-list-swiping-bags-and-bringing-the-heat/

• Like 1

He's prob ready for it, but be aware his stock could take a tumble if he gets ripped up in the PCL/that home park...

3 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

He's prob ready for it, but be aware his stock could take a tumble if he gets ripped up in the PCL/that home park...

Just saw someone on Twitter say he's at best a #3. His numbers would lead me to say otherwise, but I don't know that much about his repertoire/stuff. As for the PCL, I would hope that by now folks would know that it's a tough assignment for a pitcher and discount bloated numbers accordingly.

Matz to the pen for now.........

Writing is on the wall

7 hours ago, rotodr said:

Matz to the pen for now.........

Writing is on the wall

The Mets surely have done crazier things, but I'm guessing Kay's 9.64 ERA in 4 AAA appearances isn't going to earn him the call just yet.

On 6/10/2019 at 6:40 PM, 12to6 said:

Just saw someone on Twitter say he's at best a #3. His numbers would lead me to say otherwise, but I don't know that much about his repertoire/stuff. As for the PCL, I would hope that by now folks would know that it's a tough assignment for a pitcher and discount bloated numbers accordingly.

The Mets are no longer in Las Vegas. Their Triple-A affiliate is in Syracuse. The PCL or the atmospheric conditions of Las Vegas are no longer a factor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BaseballJunkie said:

The Mets are no longer in Las Vegas. Their Triple-A affiliate is in Syracuse. The PCL or the atmospheric conditions of Las Vegas are no longer a factor.

How did I miss that? Wow.

I'm excited as both a Kay dynasty owner and Blue Jays fan, but I'm also a little apprehensive.  He's pitched pretty well in AAA after getting blown up in his first few outings in Syracuse, especially after moving to Buffalo (although he did get hit around two days ago it looks like).  But his walk rate has been up ever since getting the call up to AAA, which has left him with a pretty inflated WHIP.  I'm not sure if that's due to trying to be too precise / perfect, still regaining control coming off TJS, nerves, or a bit of all of the above.

Whatever it is, I just hope he can throw some solid innings for the Jays now to end the year, and go into next year looking at locking down a rotation spot.  But part of me wonders if this is a bit too early for him to be up.