smeeze

Matt Breida 2019 Outlook

Seriously concerned about all the injuries to the O line and especially the fullback Jckztanliski or however you spell it.

I don't really care about the time share.  Only a handful of guys that aren't in one.  What concerns me is the injury to the fullback.  He makes that whole offense hum.  Wanna start him this week but I'm nervous.

• Like 1

Came across a tweet with a lot of info that I found helpful, hopefully it might help others too:

If this type of info tickles your fancy, he's worth a follow - puts out some great stuff imo. 

To summarize: LAR have been significantly better at home vs Running backs than on the road, and LAR are at home in this game.  This doesn't inherently doom the matchup for Breida or other SF RBs, because almost no one is running like SF is right now and the home/away sample sizes are still fairly small at this time of the season.  Also worth noting that LAR have extra days to prepare while SF is coming off a short week.  Whether or not you play him this week is not a sweeping "yes or no" answer as we all have different options to choose from, but this is just one more piece of information to hopefully help you reach the best decision for your roster :)

• Thanks 4

Would like to start him against the Rams but missing two tackles, fullback, and even Kittle is banged up?  I can't pull the trigger.

I'm starting him(over McCoy).

As long as he gets around his 15 touches I think we'll be o.k.

Only thing I'm not happy about is his lack of receptions. Doesn't make any sense to me why Breida isn't on his way to 75-80 catches.

Maybe now that Kyle J. is out they'll get him more involved.

The RBBC is getting annoying.

Breida can bust it anytime, but he is a boom / bust player at this point.    Hate to say it , but I am looking around for trades.

4 minutes ago, Sivaro said:

The RBBC is getting annoying.

Breida can bust it anytime, but he is a boom / bust player at this point.    Hate to say it , but I am looking around for trades.

And will ALWAYS be RBBC. If he starts he does not get GL looks because Wilson is active, If Coleman start he STILL does not get GL looks. 

• Like 1

Breida is a glorified WW back. Maybe he scores, maybe not, as in the case of all of them.

Most RBs in a committee have the same theoretical upside. Breida is among the better ones because of his speed. 

His production will be completely unpredictable. You need to start him every week even when he does nothing like today to get the big games. 

Not an ideal back to own.

• Like 1

I'm quite happy with what Breida did today, personally - but I didn't expect a huge day.  I quoted a tweet earlier in this thread that indicated that LAR have been better vs RBs at home and that proved itself today.  Neither Breida or Coleman ran particularly well: Breida 13 carries for 36 yards (2.77ypc) + 4 rec 27 yards, Coleman 18 carries for 45 yards (2.5ypc) + 2 rec 16 yards.  The difference is Coleman scored a TD.  Usage was about what we have come to expect, so thats good, but there were other factors we all knew going into this game such as losing his FB and both tackles, and a supposedly banged up Kittle. 

Breida's been extremely solid all year imo.  He struggled week 1 against Tampa which we now know is one of, if not the best run defense in the league.  Aren't any games left on his schedule that worry me, outside of maybe week 14 @NO.

• Like 2

He got 8.30 in my league so I'm not complaining. The only hole I really had on my team was RB2 and I think he's filled in fine. Thus far he's shown a solid floor and has exploded once. He's returning value for where he was drafted. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Breida is a glorified WW back. Maybe he scores, maybe not, as in the case of all of them.

Most RBs in a committee have the same theoretical upside. Breida is among the better ones because of his speed. 

His production will be completely unpredictable. You need to start him every week even when he does nothing like today to get the big games. 

Not an ideal back to own.

He is a solid flex and bye week fill-in. He is always a threat for 100 yards, but will have to create his own long TDs which he is obviously capable of. Just never know when theyre coming.

Based on where we drafted him, and the usual falloff at RB after the top 15-20, Breida is solid ROI

Edited by austin316

And Breida still gets to face Seattle twice.  The Seahawks D-line is still a work in progress as the new players get used to one another and the defensive scheme.

I am also glad Breida has stayed off the injury report so far this year.

[...]

Breida looks frustrating to own. Especially in a standard league. I want to pick him up, but I think we all need consistency at this point from our RB. I just don’t see that consistency with him and the other backs are too involved at this point. I think that 49ers offense could look even better with a featured back that can get in rhythm. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Matt Waldman from FootballGuys wrote a big article last week (behind a paywall) about how Breida and Coleman could each deliver high-end RB2 to low-end RB1 numbers the rest of the way given the strength of San Fran's defense, their dependence on the run, and the matchups. 

The idea is that there will likely be 25-30 touches spread between the two most weeks. Obviously last week was not a great litmus test for this hypothesis, as the game was played in a near hurricane and Breida checked out for a good portion of the game after getting poked in the eye (at least that's what he said happened, it was reported as a possible concussion...). 

Before week 7 Breida had handled double-digit carries in every game (averaging 13 per game) plus another couple receptions per game. I like him to stay around that number moving forward. I don't think Tevin Coleman will become the workhorse here, as Coleman and Breida each have unique skills that Shanahan will look to utilize in different situations. 

• Like 1

Breida is a very frustrating player to have.  He always seems to be hurt in some capacity.  He seems to play through it, like last years annoying ankle injury EVERY game.  Plus this timeshare with Coleman doesn't help because he gets NO GL carries.  I probably have to play him with byes and Kamara's injury, but I'm not expecting a lot unfortunately.  The funny part is even when Coleman was out he still didn't put up great numbers.  The 3rd stringer and the practice squad guy got all the GL carries.  

53 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

Matt Waldman from FootballGuys wrote a big article last week (behind a paywall) about how Breida and Coleman could each deliver high-end RB2 to low-end RB1 numbers the rest of the way given the strength of San Fran's defense, their dependence on the run, and the matchups. 

The idea is that there will likely be 25-30 touches spread between the two most weeks. Obviously last week was not a great litmus test for this hypothesis, as the game was played in a near hurricane and Breida checked out for a good portion of the game after getting poked in the eye (at least that's what he said happened, it was reported as a possible concussion...). 

Before week 7 Breida had handled double-digit carries in every game (averaging 13 per game) plus another couple receptions per game. I like him to stay around that number moving forward. I don't think Tevin Coleman will become the workhorse here, as Coleman and Breida each have unique skills that Shanahan will look to utilize in different situations. 

He's not an exciting player to own but I mostly agree with that guy's assessment, although I don't see low end RB1 numbers. Unless he's talking about the rare blow-up week, but not on a consistent basis. I think they both could provide decent RB2 value ROS although I like Coleman more. He just seems to be on the field a little more. 

Every time Breida touches the ball he gets hit in the backfield. Every time Coleman touches it he isn’t touched. Now Breida hurt AGAIN. Unreal with this guy. 

• Haha 1

Shut the thread down. This guys gets half the work between the 20s, limited receiving work, and no goal line work. Add to the fact that his injury history is literally almost an injury a week.

Not like this was unexpected though. Shame Coleman got hurt week 1 because he likely would have been a high end RB2 from the start.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 2:38 PM, TommyKramer said:

Breida is the man! This will be more of a 65/35 split in favor of Breida.  Get on board the hype train!  CHOO CHOO!!!!  

Choo choo!!!!

• Haha 1

RIP on the short week but should be good next monday night.

Breida is a warrior.

46 minutes ago, pdog109 said:

RIP on the short week but should be good next monday night.

Breida is a warrior.

What a foolish call at the end of the first half where Breida got hurt.  They should've just took a knee.  

That said, it sure didn't seem all that serious.  I mean, he was walking around on the sidelines the whole second half and saw him head out on the field when Jeff Wilson got hurt.  He did seem to have a tiny bit of a limp but it wasn't like he was parked on the bench in ice and a walking boot or something.  I find it hard to believe he'd be strutting around on the sidelines if it were overly serious.

It's probably likely he sits this week on the short week though.

I'm not sure about the warrior part though.  I've grown to hate owning Brieda as it seems like he's always getting nicked with something and he sure doesn't give me much confidence.

[...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story