Boudewijn

Marlon Mack 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, BrianM said:

 

I just think he's a good, not great runner, and not a great receiver.    I said don't love him, not don't like him- a mild difference but the tone might've been misinterpeted.  He's fine.   

 

I dont think he is a very good reciever either. He is a good runner though. I feel like he has already proven that in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who has the better opportunity to catch more passes this year? 

 

Derrick Henry or Marlon Mack? 

 

I'm liking both guys and thinking I'm going to be put into a situation to choose 1 or the other and I'd probably prefer the guy that would catch more. 

 

Why is Nyheim Hines even on on the field anyway? That guy is hot garbage. He can have 10 yards of running room and need to pick up 6 for a first down and still manage to put the Colts into a 4th and 3.

 

And D Henry let himself forfeit breaking a record to give Dion Lewis a shot at a TD and he was completely worthless at it. That guy is finished. I owned Lewis last year, had a Lewis vs Henry bet last year and was all in on wanting Lewis to succeed. The complete ineffectiveness popped out of the TV screen though. That guy is washed. 

 

Why are scat backs that are worthless even a thing actually? These guys (Mack / Henry) are football players. Are these coaches really trying to convince us that a football player can't catch a football? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Are these coaches really trying to convince us that a football player can't catch a football? 

Sorry, what?

 

Seriousy, there is a difference between catching a ball, and being a good or great receiver. True pass-catching backs become more and more common in the NFL, but not every back can run a route, or catch a defended pass, or a badly thrown wobbler. Henry and Mack are great rushers, but just OK receivers, and for teams that have enough options, there's not always a reason to force it into their hands more than a couple times a game.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Sorry, what?

 

Seriousy, there is a difference between catching a ball, and being a good or great receiver. True pass-catching backs become more and more common in the NFL, but not every back can run a route, or catch a defended pass, or a badly thrown wobbler. Henry and Mack are great rushers, but just OK receivers, and for teams that have enough options, there's not always a reason to force it into their hands more than a couple times a game.

 

What is your YouTube video trying to tell me here?

 

You don't think Mike Evans or Julio Jones can catch a football cause they dropped a pass?

 

What if I told you that as long as the NFL will exist players both good and bad players will continue to eventually drop a catchable pass?  Would you believe me?  Because it's true.  

 

Marlon Mack and Derrick Henry can catch a football and make defenders missed if called upon.  Their route tree might not be as extensive as some, but they are football players and can play football and you or anyone else will never convince me otherwise.  I have played a low level of football and no one can convince me that everyone of us practicing 2x a day for months on end didn't have a good understanding of football, what is happening at all times, and what needs to be done.

 

Now Mack and D Henry... they did their 2 a days and turned it into a full time job that they do literally all the time, every day, all day.  No one will ever convince me they can't run a route and catch a ball.  Ever.  Sorry.  If you want to argue that point with me, I will simply have to block it, cause I will NEVER get behind it and it will be a waste of time.

 

I don't like to bring in a "running" RB on a predictable rush situation then remove him for a different "pass catching" RB on a predictable pass situation.  I never have and never will.  The Patriots destroyed football because the GOAT was willing to play for Peanuts and build a super team around him and convince every other team in the NFL that this is how you win football games.  Give me backs that do everything and keep defenses guessing and don't try to convince me a football player can't play football.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

What is your YouTube video trying to tell me here?

I was just having fun :)

11 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I don't like to bring in a "running" RB on a predictable rush situation then remove him for a different "pass catching" RB on a predictable pass situation.  I never have and never will.  The Patriots destroyed football because the GOAT was willing to play for Peanuts and build a super team around him and convince every other team in the NFL that this is how you win football games.  Give me backs that do everything and keep defenses guessing and don't try to convince me a football player can't play football.

Well, yes, but, except, that's not necessarily what the Patriots do. Take for instance White and Michel in 2018. Both had around 200 touches for the year, but their usage is completely different:

image.png.ff1a4651f5c364fec81b85604f9a6e20.png

If you split it by down as a percentage of the snaps, you also see that on later downs, they used less Michel and more White.
image.png.8c9540e50ce0e892502b67137dbfeb33.png

Both you and me like Belichick as a smart coach, who uses players to the maximum of their abilities. So what would you say is going on here? 

I mean we're getting a bit far from Mack, but the point is (I guess) that smart coaches make these choices too, and if they didn't use Mack last year a lot in the passing game, then I don't see a big reason to expect a major uptick there for 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

I was just having fun :)

Well, yes, but, except, that's not necessarily what the Patriots do. Take for instance White and Michel in 2018. Both had around 200 touches for the year, but their usage is completely different:

image.png.ff1a4651f5c364fec81b85604f9a6e20.png

If you split it by down as a percentage of the snaps, you also see that on later downs, they used less Michel and more White.
image.png.8c9540e50ce0e892502b67137dbfeb33.png

Both you and me like Belichick as a smart coach, who uses players to the maximum of their abilities. So what would you say is going on here? 

I mean we're getting a bit far from Mack, but the point is (I guess) that smart coaches make these choices too, and if they didn't use Mack last year a lot in the passing game, then I don't see a big reason to expect a major uptick there for 2019.

 

If Tom Brady earned $30 M a year no other coaches would copy cat this strategy because the Patriots would not be 6 time champions.

 

Tom Brady is the GOAT.  He gets paid less than half what he should.  This frees up giant money for the rest of the team.  If he had demanded max money his entire career these strategies would be meaningless because the Patriots would not have nearly the amount of rings they have today. 

 

Don't forget that before Tom Brady became elite Tom Brady they were winning Super Bowls giving their RBs 400 touches a season.  

 

Tom Brady destroyed football and Bill B destroyed the RB position by convincing the rest of the NFL it wasn't necessary to pay a good one when you could have 4 OK ones.  But this strategy would have never worked had Tom Brady accepted max money at his position.

 

That's just how I feel.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

 

If Tom Brady earned $30 M a year no other coaches would copy cat this strategy because the Patriots would not be 6 time champions.

 

Tom Brady is the GOAT.  He gets paid less than half what he should.  This frees up giant money for the rest of the team.  If he had demanded max money his entire career these strategies would be meaningless because the Patriots would not have nearly the amount of rings they have today. 

 

Don't forget that before Tom Brady became elite Tom Brady they were winning Super Bowls giving their RBs 400 touches a season.  

 

Tom Brady destroyed football and Bill B destroyed the RB position by convincing the rest of the NFL it wasn't necessary to pay a good one when you could have 4 OK ones.  But this strategy would have never worked had Tom Brady accepted max money at his position.

 

That's just how I feel.  

Fine. But how is that in any way related to what I wrote? :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2019 at 2:00 AM, Boudewijn said:

 there is a difference between catching a ball, and being a good or great receiver.

You'd think that'd be stating the obvious. Some RBs are weak receivers, and Mack is one of those.

 

Quote

Henry and Mack are great rushers, but just OK receivers

I disagree. Mack is a pretty good rusher whose OL makes him (or his stats anyway) look great. And they are both poor receivers, though I think Henry is worse.

Overall I have Henry just ahead of Mack. I think Mack will catch a few more but barely and won't score as much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mack can catch, Henry can catch, neither will see many catches bc they aren’t great route runners and other rbs are better in that area. However, from a general strategy standpoint, idk why more coaches don’t just use their “2 down” rb more in the passing game. Why tip your hand so much for the defense when you have a 2 down guy and a COP guy? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure what's so hard about what "not a good receiver" means. Saying someone "can catch" is meaningless. I'm sure all RBs can kick too, yet amazingly you don't see any pulling duty as PKs or punters. 

Believe me, if Mack was a good receiver, he'd be seeing more tossed his way. Ditto Henry. Or any other back who catches very few balls. 

 

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.