PhilaFanBoy

Kevin Cron 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)

Just called up by the D'Backs. Hitting .339 with 21 HR, 62 RBI, 1 SB, 13 Doubles, 27 BB, 33 K in the PCL. Young brother of Twins' CJ Cron.

Has 3B eligibility on ESPN but will primarily play at 1B and as a pinch hitter. Not a marquee prospect, but could surprise if his talent translates.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Thanks 1

Looks like he’s a part time player, at least to start.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Talent usually wins out though.  If he mashes like he's done in AAA, Walker isn't going to be much of a road block.  This is a case where you add now and see what happens.

• Like 1

Yup, he’s expected to be a inch hitter.  http://arizonasports.com/story/1949383/diamondbacks-to-promote-hot-hitting-infielder-kevin-cron/

im stunned he’s not even a top 30 prospect for ARIZONA.  Very little pedigree too.  I’d grab for a look see if I had an easy drop.  Definately worthnkeeping am eye on regardless of what you can or can’t do.

Just now, Cesare13 said:

Yup, he’s expected to be a inch hitter.  http://arizonasports.com/story/1949383/diamondbacks-to-promote-hot-hitting-infielder-kevin-cron/

im stunned he’s not even a top 30 prospect for ARIZONA.  Very little pedigree too.  I’d grab for a look see if I had an easy drop.  Definately worthnkeeping am eye on regardless of what you can or can’t do.

1B/DH types are rarely ranked highly on prospect rankings

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Intriguing enough to pick up, but I don't know how much patience you give somebody like this with their given role. It should be interesting to see if he can force their hand, maybe.

Edited by nlm

11 minutes ago, smeeze said:

1B/DH types are rarely ranked highly on prospect rankings

Reminds me of Alonso last year

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Looks like he’s a part time player, at least to start.

Walker is hitting .179 with 1 HR and .606 OPS in May.  A guy with no track record outside his hot April. Shouldn't be long if Cron comes out swinging.

Jake Lamb is more of a threat and he isn't even close to being healthy yet.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Slatykamora said:

Walker is hitting .179 with 1 HR and .606 OPS in May.  A guy with no track record outside his hot April. Shouldn't be long if Cron comes out swinging.

This  x2

Edited by Yceman1234

3 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Jake Lamb is more of a threat and he isn't even close to being healthy yet.

Yeah, I fully agree. I just thought it was relevant to post so people know what they’re getting if they decide to add. He could be tough to hold onto in redrafts if he’s only getting ~ 10 at bats a week.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

He's been raking like Yordan Alvarez fwiw.

I don’t get why Alvarez is the second coming and this guy is barely mentioned. Age?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

I don’t get why Alvarez is the second coming and this guy is barely mentioned. Age?

That and he's being punished for his brother not being a star. Nobody likes leftovers. 

• Haha 1

Just now, AnonymousRob said:

That and he's being punished for his brother not being a star. Nobody likes leftovers. 

Chili is better leftover 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

More like he obviously made some sort of swing change and no body noticed. (Heck I sure didn't until the other day in the MILB thread)

Lot of guys fade college bats if they don't mash immediatly post draft w/o defensive profile. He was just a big time one trick power pony coming out of the draft.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

Stoked to have his 3rd base eligibility since struggling to find a andujar replacement in a 16 teamer... I hope he hits a King Cron....

1 minute ago, hard1 said:

Stoked to have his 3rd base eligibility since struggling to find a andujar replacement in a 16 teamer... I hope he hits a King Cron....

Hitting in that hitter park should help

Are his AAA league parks considered hitter-friendly? Should we temper expectations on homers in Arizona?

4 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Are his AAA league parks considered hitter-friendly? Should we temper expectations on homers in Arizona?

Very much so. Still, his production is too good to ignore & his power should easily translate. If he continues his K/BB gains this year, we have ourselves a major bat. 

Yeah if he can keep the walks up and not swing at pitchers pitches his power will translate 

Posted (edited)

Is it wrong I'm suspicious? It looks like his plate discipline has got much better but how much PCL inflation is in play with his power?  

Regardless, I still might put in a claim because I'm desperate for power.

Edited out something wrong I wrote about Arizona with Cron and Rule 5 draft

Edited by I was wrong on Kris Benson

1 hour ago, pbjfb said:

Definitely temper expectations. I’m happy he was called up, but he was just stupid in the PCL this year. Even 1/3 of his redonkulous AAA pace (75 HR, 210 RBI over 150 games) would be solid.