ghostdragon

Zach Plesac 2019 Outlook

I shouldn't be reading this thread cause y'all are starting to convince me to start him.

Yanks are 8th in runs scored, 6th on the road and 1st against righties.

You all are more brave than I.  I'll be rooting him on from the sideline for this one.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Yanks are 8th in runs scored, 6th on the road and 1st against righties.

You all are more brave than I.  I'll be rooting him on from the sideline for this one.

He's definitely a sit for me. There are a few factors in his favor and a solid outing wouldn't shock me, but sometimes you gotta save yourself from getting too cute. Rookie righty vs the Yankees is going to get lit up more often than not. 

• Like 1

Actually the Yankees are notorious for having trouble with pitchers they've never seen before.

Doesn't mean Plesac will breeze today but the chances may be better than most people think for a pretty good start.

11 minutes ago, Sterling Archer said:

Actually the Yankees are notorious for having trouble with pitchers they've never seen before.

Doesn't mean Plesac will breeze today but the chances may be better than most people think for a pretty good start.

As a Yankees fan, I was thinking the same thing. Also helps that Gleyber will be out of the lineup today. 

I'm starting him confidently in all my leagues.

25 minutes ago, absknicks said:

As a Yankees fan, I was thinking the same thing. Also helps that Gleyber will be out of the lineup today. 

I'm starting him confidently in all my leagues.

Hmm that does make things more interesting.  Maybe I'll scope out the lineup before making a final decision. The lineup they rolled out yesterday wasn't exactly a list of all stars.

4 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

I'm starting him bc my ERA and WHIP are already destroyed 

Seems like a weekly theme for me. 

Good luck owners 👍🏼

No Torres but Didi is back. He and Gardner the only lefties but Hicks and Morales switch hit. 

I want no part of this start. If he does good,great, gives confidence moving forward. But his strikeout upside isn't enough for me to roll him out. 

I'll be rooting from the sidelines.

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, NoHablaIngles said:

this guy reminds of how clevinger came up a couple years ago. Exciting young arm

High praise

Just now, Members_Only_76 said:

High praise

Not precisely an apples to apples comparison. Clev has more strikeout stuff but plesac has much better command compared to clevinger.

Cleveland finds a way to get the most out of their pitchers especially guys without huge prospect pedigree ala clevinger and plesac.

• Like 1

Oh man, when he struck out Voit for the 3rd time with a nasty hook, the look on Plesac's face was priceless. Like, yeah, I'm one bad a$$ dude now go sit down!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biig_Pressure21 said:

I wanted part of this.  And what's funny is.  I was watching him pitch and the first 2 innings he looked like a deer in headlights.  I was like Why did I start him.  Then all the sudden he settled down and looked totally different pitcher.  Like confident wise.  he was aiming pitches the 1st 2 innings.  After that he became a pitcher,  Calm, collective.  Not aiming.  Just throwing.   Who ever started him.  Give a Like...And Good Luck to All.

I decided to be ride or die. Whew 

Maybe he's earned it to have his mugshot uploaded to his Yahoo profile after tonight's start.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NoHablaIngles said:

Not precisely an apples to apples comparison. Clev has more strikeout stuff but plesac has much better command compared to clevinger.

Cleveland finds a way to get the most out of their pitchers especially guys without huge prospect pedigree ala clevinger and plesac.

Is he Kyle Hendricks?

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Is he Kyle Hendricks?

Nevermind. Terrible comp since Plesac can hit 97.

Yo the kid's Strikeout Strut is awn point...he looks like he belongs...

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Pretty impressive start and chart shows this is something he can likely sustain:

FB- averaged 94+ MPH and goes to it often, was really close even when he was missing with it, lots of vert action to it, threw 54--29 strikes with 16 swings and 2 whiffs

SL- sat 84 MPH, very nice dive and dart movement on it, tossed 24--18 strikes with 13 swings and 4 whiffs...

CH- little firmer at 86 MPH, fall-off action with it, threw 17--11 strikes with 10 swings and 2 whiffs on it

CU- heard the announcers say that he has just added it to his bag, it has serious promise imo, very complimentary to his velo spectrum at 79 MPH and also helps change eye levels of batters with it's horizontal sweep/rotation, spun up 11--9 strikes with 8 swings and 2 whiffers

It's a pretty solid 4 pitch mix here and plus command of everything!

I just gotta say, your posts are really great and I appreciate the time you put into sharing this with us.

Posts like this always keep me coming back to this board.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Pretty impressive start and chart shows this is something he can likely sustain:

FB- averaged 94+ MPH and goes to it often, was really close even when he was missing with it, lots of vert action to it, threw 54--29 strikes with 16 swings and 2 whiffs

SL- sat 84 MPH, very nice dive and dart movement on it, tossed 24--18 strikes with 13 swings and 4 whiffs...

CH- little firmer at 86 MPH, fall-off action with it, threw 17--11 strikes with 10 swings and 2 whiffs on it

CU- heard the announcers say that he has just added it to his bag, it has serious promise imo, very complimentary to his velo spectrum at 79 MPH and also helps change eye levels of batters with it's horizontal sweep/rotation, spun up 11--9 strikes with 8 swings and 2 whiffers

It's a pretty solid 4 pitch mix here and plus command of everything!

I heard this as well. I couldn't believe it. I saw a few and that pitch was sick! 

• Like 1

From an article

At one point, Plesac set down 10 straight Yankees, allowing just two hits between the third inning and his final out in the seventh. The biggest takeaway the Indiana native had from the game was that if he makes a mistake at the major-league level, he’s going to pay for it, as he did with Hicks’ homer in the third.

Think he can remain pretty solid with a high 3 or low 4 era but does anyone know how the Indians pitching rotation situation is? 

31 minutes ago, bunnyzclan said:

From an article

At one point, Plesac set down 10 straight Yankees, allowing just two hits between the third inning and his final out in the seventh. The biggest takeaway the Indiana native had from the game was that if he makes a mistake at the major-league level, he’s going to pay for it, as he did with Hicks’ homer in the third.

Think he can remain pretty solid with a high 3 or low 4 era but does anyone know how the Indians pitching rotation situation is? 

That seems a little silly of that article. Sure it's a valid takeaway but I'd argue good sequencing and command of a 4 pitch arsenal seems like a bigger one to me. Another would be that he is capable of shaking of mistakes.  I'm not crowning him an ace but to focus on the negative from that last start is a bit pessimistic IMO.

And the Indians pitching situation is a mess.  Bauer fell off the map, Clevinger is coming back soon but narrowly avoided a pretty serious injury, Kluber is out for a long time and Carrasco is out for an indeterminate amount of time with a mystery blood illness.  He'll play.