Last I read he was throwing in extended spring training, so the end of June is possible.  They will probably be cautious tho and give him a lengthy and slow run thru his minor league rehab.

Unless you owned him, or are a SD fan, you probably don’t realize how filthy this guy was before getting hurt. I remember seeing Darvish type movement on his pitches, and the K potential was for real. 

If there’s anyway to stash this guy, (more for 2020 and beyond) I’d advise doing so. Gotta love the home park, the much improved offense, and the coaching that’s producing quality starters all of a sudden! 

• Like 4

I'd tread lightly with him in 2019. Command wasn't exactly his calling card before TJS, and that takes the longest to get back. I'm all in in 2020 though. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I'd tread lightly with him in 2019. Command wasn't exactly his calling card before TJS, and that takes the longest to get back. I'm all in in 2020 though. 

A lot of walks. A lot of HRs. But a lot of promise. Like you, I wouldn't want to rely on him this year, but you never know. 

I’m definitely not relying on this guy this year, but I will continue to stash where I can to see if there is value when he returns. You know the Ks and chance to win should be there nightly since he’s on a decent team.

1 hour ago, einstein2u said:

Now would be the time to stash. 

Last rehab start

4in 3h 1 Bb 5k

Was this at high A ? 

4 hours ago, einstein2u said:

Now would be the time to stash. 

Last rehab start

4in 3h 1 Bb 5k

What is a good guess on his ETA to the majors?   I want to stash him but very thin on roster space right now so just trying to plan correctly.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zig Zag said:

What is a good guess on his ETA to the majors?   I want to stash him but very thin on roster space right now so just trying to plan correctly.

According to Rotowire, he should get moved to AAA for his next start. Figure another start after that so most likely the last week this month:

https://www.rotowire.com/baseball/player.php?id=14202

Edited by Gryfter
  • Like 2

Wonder if he will be used as a starter or out of the pen.

3 minutes ago, B&F said:

Wonder if he will be used as a starter or out of the pen.

Tbd.  

The Padres are trying to manage the workloads of Paddack, Strahm, Quantril, Margevicius.

They already tandemed Margevicius his last start.   

They'll also be trying to manage Lamet coming back from TJ.  

Somebody would have to get bumped from the rotation since Logan Allen has claimed a spot now.  Maybe Matt Strahm since he clearly is not a starting pitcher, but a great reliever?

3 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Somebody would have to get bumped from the rotation since Logan Allen has claimed a spot now.  Maybe Matt Strahm since he clearly is not a starting pitcher, but a great reliever?

Has Allen for sure claimed a longterm spot after one start? I do like the idea of Strahm going back to the pen. That experiment has not really been fruitful. 

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

Has Allen for sure claimed a longterm spot after one start? I do like the idea of Strahm going back to the pen. That experiment has not really been fruitful. 

Well, I suppose if he goes out and sucks in his next couple of starts, he could be demoted.  I doubt that happens given his next start is against the Orioles, and it would make more sense for them to at least give Allen a bit of time rather than march Strahm out for many more starts.

My honest prediction is Allen sticks and Strahm goes back to the bullpen where he excels.

• Like 1

It's a fluid situation with these young arms, they  are going to monitor workloads on multiple sp's this season so it makes sense to shuffle the rotation ala LAD(minus the phantom il's with their sp's), so we will see some getting skipped or shortened starts, maybe see one or two go the opener route a turn or two, or even a 6 man during the dog dazes of summer in that effort....

this really isn't the season to rely on their young arms going deep into the season and IP's due to that potential.  2020? I'm all in with that rotation..redraft leagues need to prepare for the inevitable... so dynasty/deep keepers will benefit the most stashing Lament,Strahm and Paddock....just my opinion...

Posted (edited)

So two dominant starts in a row in rehab. Going for his third one in a row this week I believe. Then he should be cleared of all goes well. Now I’m getting pumped to see what this guy can do. Perfect guy to get if you need starting pitching help/upside.

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2019 at 1:45 AM, hangin n wangin said:

So two dominant starts in a row in rehab. Going for his third one in a row this week I believe. Then he should be cleared of all goes well. Now I’m getting pumped to see what this guy can do. Perfect guy to get if you need starting pitching help/upside.

4 ER in 5 IP, giving up 2 HR in AAA is dominant?

Edited by StevieStats

9 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

4 ER in 5 IP, giving up 2 HR in AAA is dominant?

My bad. It was 2 out of the last 3 starts I believe he pitched well. My apologies.