Osu1456

Will Smith (C-LAD) 2019 Outlook

Love the add picking him up, especially with Sanchez DL. Love his Yahoo pic too with that smug smile on his face, he look ready to rake. 

Would you say he is a buy high candidate in a dynasty leagues, can he be a top5 long term ?

12 hours ago, Topgun said:

Would you say he is a buy high candidate in a dynasty leagues, can he be a top5 long term ?

It would depend on the price.  He's a catcher with legit potential, and we all know how much of a wasteland the position is for the most part.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, billofwa said:

Nothing like picking up a stud catcher this late in the season.

*hopes Will Smith remains a stud catcher longer than Danny Jansen did*

It'd be great if he did.  It would give people a great option if Smith was a pickup for people to help replace Sanchez, or to move whoever their catcher was to help elsewhere.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

*hopes Will Smith remains a stud catcher longer than Danny Jansen did*

It'd be great if he did.  It would give people a great option if Smith was a pickup for people to help replace Sanchez, or to move whoever their catcher was to help elsewhere.

That is what I did.  Matt Olson had a 5 game schedule so I inserted Vasquez in at first and went with Smith at C.

4 minutes ago, billofwa said:

That is what I did.  Matt Olson had a 5 game schedule so I inserted Vasquez in at first and went with Smith at C.

I more meant for trading, but that definitely works too.

#stud

If you're lucky enough to have added this guy, congrats!

• Like 1

What kind of a value do we put on this guy moving forward? Legit top 5? Or is this just a don't overreact hot streak we're witnessing right now?

Probably sell high, but still...

All I want to know is, was it just the organist or w/e or did this Kentucky kid really choose Busta Rhymes/MOP “Ante Up”  for his own walk up music before that 2 out grand slam in a 2-1 game? LOL

“Bases loaded in the sixth the 2-1 pitch Smith drives it to center field. Back goes Margot. At the wall! Grand slam! Will Smith!

I. AM. LEGEND.”

(the call on the Dodgers’ broadcast)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KidDynamite420 said:

What kind of a value do we put on this guy moving forward? Legit top 5? Or is this just a don't overreact hot streak we're witnessing right now?

Theres maybe 5 guys i would say id rather have on my team right now. Id probably rather have him than ramos.  Anyone that sat and watched someone else win the league when gary sahncez hit 20 hrs in 2 months will have that somewhere in their minds.

1 hour ago, Cesare13 said:

Theres maybe 5 guys i would say id rather have on my team right now. Id probably rather have him than ramos.  Anyone that sat and watched someone else win the league when gary sahncez hit 20 hrs in 2 months will have that somewhere in their minds.

Now I understand why you've been struggling all season.  Probably?  Really!?  There's no probably.  It's just "I'd rather"... 😉

Seriously, I agree otherwise.  While he's obviously not going to continue to hit well over .300, the power is legit, and that vaults Smith well up there in the rankings for the rest of the season (and beyond in keeper/dynasty leagues).

Smith may very well be the NL Gary Sanchez, hopefully minus the durability issues.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Now I understand why you've been struggling all season.  Probably?  Really!?  There's no probably.  It's just "I'd rather"... 😉

Seriously, I agree otherwise.  While he's obviously not going to continue to hit well over .300, the power is legit, and that vaults Smith well up there in the rankings for the rest of the season (and beyond in keeper/dynasty leagues).

Smith may very well be the NL Gary Sanchez, hopefully minus the durability issues.

[...] He STILL bats in the middle of the lineup.  Although its certainly possible that will smith could be better than guys like sanchez,realmuto and for sure ramos,its tougher to drop those guys for a green rookie than a very late pick. [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Having him and Bellinger is tempting me to change my team name to "Fresh Prince of Bellinger."

• Haha 3

I had 2 catchers for a while but I ended up dropping Grandal because I couldn't afford to keep both. So yeah, hope he keep raking or I just made the dumbest move. 

3 hours ago, Halo Fan said:

Having him and Bellinger is tempting me to change my team name to "Fresh Prince of Bellinger."

I have both and I'm stealing this lol

5 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

[...] He STILL bats in the middle of the lineup.  Although its certainly possible that will smith could be better than guys like sanchez,realmuto and for sure ramos,its tougher to drop those guys for a green rookie than a very late pick. [...]

Just messing with you for the most part, although I am still serious about thinking Ramos is nothing more than waiver fodder and shouldn't be an obstacle for rostering Smith.  He shouldn't be batting any higher than 6th or 7th, but it doesn't really matter.

I'm obviously pretty high on Smith, especially given what he's done so far, but even I wouldn't go as far as to say to cut a legit top catcher for him.  In a keeper/dynasty league, I would roster both and see where things go with Smith.  That's exactly what I'm doing, and like I already mentioned before, the already established one could be used as a trade chip if Smith continues to perform.

[Bench Coach content removed.  "I'm considering dropping X for Y" is functionally equivalent to "should I drop X for Y", and will be treated as such.]

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

Just messing with you for the most part, although I am still serious about thinking Ramos is nothing more than waiver fodder and shouldn't be an obstacle for rostering Smith.  He shouldn't be batting any higher than 6th or 7th, but it doesn't really matter.

I'm obviously pretty high on Smith, especially given what he's done so far, but even I wouldn't go as far as to say to cut a legit top catcher for him.  In a keeper/dynasty league, I would roster both and see where things go with Smith.  That's exactly what I'm doing, and like I already mentioned before, the already established one could be used as a trade chip if Smith continues to perform.

Who would you rank ahead of Smith ROS?

51 minutes ago, KidDynamite420 said:

Who would you rank ahead of Smith ROS?

Realmuto, Sanchez, Contreras, and maybe Grandal.  Narvaez could enter the conversation as well, as he hasn't tailed off like some might have expected.  I rank Sanchez above him because, even though I said Smith could end up being a clone, Smith is still a rookie.  Grandal has been mediocre at best for a little while now, so Smith is even getting close to him now imo.

Didn't really realize how bad the catching position has gotten again after a resurgence for some of this season.  Some of the earlier season breakouts aren't doing it anymore, although in the case of Garver he is but isn't playing enough.

One could make a real argument that Smith could end up being considered the 3rd best catcher ROS and potentially for next season, but obviously there needs to be a larger sample size before I can go quite that far.  His small sample size is also the main reason why I might consider putting him 5th or 6th.

• Thanks 1

Things have naturally quieted down a bit, but he's batting 3rd tonight.  It's a different order because they are facing a tough lefty in Ray, which also might put a damper on this a bit, but he's still batting 3rd with Bellinger as lineup protection tonight.  Expect him back to batting 6th tomorrow, but still interesting regardless.

• Like 2

Somebody should tell Maeda that he's not that good, so obviously the personal catcher thing isn't working.

Although I knew something like this would happen this weekend given the fact that Roberts gave Smith the day off on Wednesday likely only because it was an afternoon game after a night game.  Way to not look ahead and realize you have Thursday off and then would have to sit him again shortly after...