Sign in to follow this  
12to6

Grayson Rodriguez, SP, BAL

With his start today in which he went 7IP, 2H, 1ER, 1BB, 8Ks, it might be time for a dedicated thread.

Taken in the first round in 2018, the hype is already starting to build. Take, for example, this recent article which asks if he's the next Forrest Whitley.

https://www.prospects1500.com/al-east/orioles/is-grayson-rodriguez-the-next-forrest-whitley/

From that same piece:

He brings mid-90s heat on his fastball that shows a ton of life and already has a plus slider. He is a great athlete as well, which leads to a lot of command of his pitches, which also includes a decent changeup and a developing curveball. Scouts were pretty high on him during the 2018 draft, pegging him with a number 2-3 starter ceiling, and predicted he could move quickly through the system.

Last year in 2018, Rodriguez stuck out 20 batters in 19.1 innings which is perfectly fine. It’s just not elite. This year, the strikeouts have jumped considerably. He is up to 53 punch outs in 36 innings. That’s an improvement of nearly five strikeouts to his K/9. What’s even more encouraging is that his walk rate has not suffered with the increase in strikeouts. He has maintained a 3.0 BB/9 for his first two seasons, and while that may not be elite, it’s something that is definitely encouraging as he climbs the ladder.

There's a recent BA article on him, which I was able to read as one of my five free reads of the month, but I won't reproduce any quotes from it here. Here's the link if you want to read it: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/grayson-rodriguez-continues-to-shine-in-first-full-season/

This article has a scouting report and some videos: https://thedynastyguru.com/2019/04/22/scouting-report-grayson-rodriguez/

Rodriguez effectively utilizes a fastball with exploding, late life, especially up in the zone. In this outing, his velocity ranged from 90-95 mph, but he mostly sat between 93-94 mph. Rodriguez possesses advanced command of his fastball for a 19-year-old, with the ability to locate to both sides of the plate.

The go-to breaking ball for Grayson Rodriguez is his power slider/cutter. In this outing, his slider/cutter ranged from 84-88 mph, and mostly sat around 86-87 mph. The pitch has sharp cutter-like action at high velocities, and more horizontal movement when thrown in the mid-80s.

The most pleasant surprise from Rodriguez’s performance was the continued development of his change-up. In this outing, his change-up ranged from 77-82 mph, and mostly sat around 80 mph.

He's also got an iffy curve that could develop further or be average.

He's about 6'5" and reports list his weight anywhere between 220-240. But he's only 19. 

Looks like he's starting to make some leaps in his performance this year, so he's definitely one to watch/add.

• Like 2

Keeping a really close eye on him and waiting until he gets promoted to A+ ball to see if he can keep up these command gains.

I love the profile, if sustainable. 

Posted (edited)

Baltimore pitching prospect... scary. He could be great but holy hell has that organization been awful at developing pitchers. So many flameouts and so many busts or pitchers that go on to dominate elsewhere. I remember when Bundy was suppose to be the next great thing. Seriously, who is the last great pitching prospect they’ve developed?

Edited by killa3312

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, killa3312 said:

Baltimore pitching prospect... scary. He could be great but holy hell has that organization been awful at developing pitchers. So many flameouts and so many busts or pitchers that go on to dominate elsewhere. I remember when Bundy was suppose to be the next great thing. Seriously, who is the last great pitching prospect they’ve developed?

Very good point, Probably Erik Bedard...and before that 1980 when Steve Stone won the Cy young

Edited by MJG44
  • Like 1

New regime headed by a guy from Houston's front office. Don't worry about the past.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2019 at 9:54 AM, MJG44 said:

Very good point, Probably Erik Bedard...and before that 1980 when Steve Stone won the Cy young

yeah they've been awful.  Don't forget about HoF Mike Mussina tho. Also I remember watching their 2009 draft pick pitcher Matt Hobgood pitch at Norco high school. He was very good and had potential. He was a 6'4 beast who had 3 plus pitches and could command all of them. He probably had the best curve in that draft. They started him in the rk league at Bluefield. They immediately changed (completely) his mechanics without even letting him get some early success to build his confidence. By the time he got to full season ball, everyone of his pitches were below average and could never get over it. His confidence was smashed to pieces. I don't believe he would have ever been as good as his draft hype but he barely got to AA. The Orioles destroyed every pitcher they touched. 

Edited by JakeSarna

Not sure why he's still in A ball at this point. 62IP 39H 15ER 16BB 84K   2.31 FIP 2.78 xFIP. I know he's 19 but he really should be getting some innings at A+ if he's just going to dominate A ball.