sjm76

Darren Waller 2019 Outlook

Yesterday I read a rotoworld blurb about how Waller has really stood out for the Raiders during OTA's and I remember that he used to be a wr before converting to a TE when with the Ravens.  I also remember him being suspended for a drug problem but that appears to be behind him now.  He is 6'6" 255 and very athletic similar to Jared Cook.

Should he win the starting TE job with the Raiders which he very well could since his competition isn't that great, do you think that he could be a decent late round TE target considering what Jared Cook did last year?

The Raiders should be in a lot of shootouts or playing from behind again this season.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders-nfl/raiders-look-to-prepare-te-darren-waller-for-starter-role-1676067/

Each day, Darren Waller works to solidify his claim as the starting tight end. There is excitement at Raiders headquarters about the former Georgia Tech wide receiver, whose combination of size and speed has stoked imagination to his playmaking potential. There is also the fact he’s fairly inexperienced, and inline blocking is not a strong suit.

(...)

Meanwhile, a barren landscape exists in free agency. The team, from which Jared Cook departed when signing with the New Orleans Saints, added Luke Willson in late March and took a flier on Erik Swoope last week.

The team drafted former LSU tight end Foster Moreau in the fifth round. Along with Waller, it also returns Derek Carrier, a versatile veteran, and Paul Butler, a practice-squad member for most of 2018 who quietly has developed and shown promise.

The Raiders’ best course of action is to develop their current group and see.

8 hours ago, sjm76 said:

Yesterday I read a rotoworld blurb about how Waller has really stood out for the Raiders during OTA's and I remember that he used to be a wr before converting to a TE when with the Ravens.  I also remember him being suspended for a drug problem but that appears to be behind him now.  He is 6'6" 255 and very athletic similar to Jared Cook.

Should he win the starting TE job with the Raiders which he very well could since his competition isn't that great, do you think that he could be a decent late round TE target considering what Jared Cook did last year?

The Raiders should be in a lot of shootouts or playing from behind again this season.

Raiders are probably still going to be losing alot. Brown will absorb double coverage. It's possible he could get jared cook like stats this year but more than likely waiver fodder. But I like him as a late late darr throw as much as anyone other TE 

• Like 1

Targets, targets, targets!!!!!!

Cook was pretty much the only receiver last year, and he led the team in targets.  Kittle is a similar situation.  This year, AB and Tyrell Williams come first.  Slot and TE are sloppy seconds.

I remember watching him at Georgia Tech and I thought then he could transition to tight end and do a pretty good job.It wouldn't surprise me if he wins the #1 job but im not sure how valuable he is going to be. its a decent speculative grab in deep leagues if you have the space.

If you have the depth in your league for a flyer on a TE, or you’re in dynasty or a keeper or for sure in best ball, Waller’s got it in him to be great. I don’t expect him to blow up from out of nowhere Julius Thomas style, but that’s in the realm of possibility, and I wouldn’t be surprised at all by 6-800 yards and 5-8 TDs. Carr’s got more weapons now but we know he’ll throw to the TE, he’s still Captain Dumpoff until proven otherwise, and Waller is sure to be single-teamed every game.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 11:55 PM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

25 / 250 / 1.

Thats my prediction and I won't be drafting 

For Gm. 1?

• Haha 4

Looked impressive last night running with the ones.  

There's virtually no chance this guy doesn't outperform his current ADP of TE30...

• Like 1

Great late round #2 TE at least. Frequent targets and did look good.

He's going to be a nice late round steal, I think I found my TE

If I miss Reed and Andrews, this may be my guy. Pretty much guarantee ya you can get him with the last round pick.

On 8/16/2019 at 7:22 PM, KennyWoo said:

Looked impressive last night running with the ones.  

There's virtually no chance this guy doesn't outperform his current ADP of TE30...

Here is the TE 30 last year:

image.png.32554f6395907bad100f9345274e9e46.png

So yeah, I think he can beat that.

I think the main concern, as mentioned is his blocking. It's hard to keep a non-blocking TE on the field unless your O-line is really solid. We shall see.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:33 PM, kball09 said:

If I miss Reed and Andrews, this may be my guy. Pretty much guarantee ya you can get him with the last round pick.

Yeah, lots of buzz on this guy but he's getting no respect in rankings.  I'd still rather have Reed, Mark Andrews, and Delanie Walker over this guy.  But I'd probably take a chance on him over Graham, Greg Olsen, Kyle Rudolph, and Jack Doyle types.

There's a fair amount of upside here.  I looked at Oakland's primary pass-catching tight end with Derek Carr at the helm and looked at where those player's performances would have slotted in amongst the 2018 fantasy TE PPR rankings:

2018 Jared Cook goes 68/896/6 TD for TE #5.  
2017 Cook again - 54/688/2 for TE #10.

2016 Clive Walford has 33/359/3.  TE #22
2015 Walford again - 28/329/3.  TE #26.

2014 Mychal Rivera's 58/534/4 line is good for TE10.

Now, it would be easy to say that Waller isn't as good as Cook (almost certainly right) or that there were a lot of targets "up for grabs" in past years that won't be now with Antonio Brown in town.  That is definitely true as to 2018.  But Cooper and Crabtree were both there in 2017 and Cook still had a big season (with better TD luck - he only scored 2 - it could have been a really good season).  

And let us not forget what we have from Waller.  He ran a 4.46 40 and is a metrics beast and is thought to be a real mismatch as a move TE.  Gruden has a mind for using players to their strengths and I have a feeling Waller is going to get his this season.  A good upside flyer in the last round of snake drafts or in dollar days.

• Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:25 PM, CooL said:

Yeah, lots of buzz on this guy but he's getting no respect in rankings.  I'd still rather have Reed, Mark Andrews, and Delanie Walker over this guy.  But I'd probably take a chance on him over Graham, Greg Olsen, Kyle Rudolph, and Jack Doyle types.

Quoting myself to fix this.  My comment didn't age well, and it's only been 2 days.

Seeing him on Hard Knocks, you really want to root for the guy.  So he's had trouble with drugs in the past.  Sort of like the Josh Gordon of tight ends? 

Anybody know anything about his health?  He had a shoulder sprain but I think that's not a problem now?  Gruden didn't seem to play any starters last night, so I guess we won't know anything about him until the games count for real.

• Haha 1

If you stream TEs, you want this guy on your radar. I've got him on my watchlist. Not expecting consistency but high likelihood someone will be streaming him at some point in your league at the least. He has upside as well if he can put it all together. 

• Like 1

I picked up Waller as my backup to Kyle Rudolph. (my league has 8 man benches).  He has more upside than Rudolph so if he can put it all together, I may end up starting him. 

Posted (edited)

With AB on the outside and Carr loving his TE, this guy will be a steal this year

If you don't got anyone else or you waited til the end to draft a TE, get him NOW

Edited by CABLE87
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CABLE87 said:

With AB on the outside and Carr loving his TE, this guy will be a steal this year

If you don't got anyone else or you waited til the end to draft a TE, get him NOW

He's definitely my late round TE target. I usually don't carry more then 1-2TE's, but dropped a wr4(Davis) for him. Carr historically supports a TE and Gruden seems to really like him, or so it seems on hardknocks. With how bad TE's were last year I think it's beneficial to carry a backup that may break out since many teams will be struggling to fill that spot of their lineup. 

3 hours ago, KidDynamite420 said:

The Wallerus will feast this year. 

Oh man, with a nickname like that I gotta have him on my team.

• Like 1

Waited until the 17th round for a TE and grabbed this guy with my last pick.  Rolling the dice as the only TE on my roster.  Really liking what I've seen from this guy so far.  He looks like he could be a star at the position.  

• Like 2