sjm76

Darren Waller 2019 Outlook

2 minutes ago, gufomel said:

Yea I think people are imagining too much upside for Waller based on “when the TDs start coming.”

That’s the problem with Waller / this offense. I would guess Waller ends up with around 4 TDs on the season. Let’s not get too crazy thinking the TDs are going to start flowing in with this guy.

You get a lot of volume with Waller, and hopefully he breaks a few long plays over the course of the season.

i believe TWilly has 3 TDs thus far (one in each game) ... who's to say they can't start breaking Waller's way?

not saying we're ginna see an avalanche, but this is not a putrid offense ... they can move the ball 🤷‍♂️

Just now, FinsUp24 said:

Jared Cook put up 6 TDs in what I would consider a weaker offense last year. I think we all agree that Waller is better all around than Cook, and he’s being used more. The TD upside is there, we just haven’t seen it yet. 

Thats what we are saying tho, careful chasing the upside because as you just said, we have never seen it, could it happen of course, but dont expect it to be a sure thing

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FinsUp24 said:

Jared Cook put up 6 TDs in what I would consider a weaker offense last year. I think we all agree that Waller is better all around than Cook, and he’s being used more. The TD upside is there, we just haven’t seen it yet. 

I like the counter-point. Certainly if Waller puts up 6-8 TDs, he could be in for a monster season. I just think it’s reasonable to temper expectations in the TD department a little bit. 

Even if the TDs don't get going, Waller will basically be Bizarro-2018-Ebron. Nearly every TE outside the big three is a touchdown-dependent dart throw. When they don't score, which is most weeks, you only get a handful of points because of limited target volume and a shallow average depth of target.

Waller is likely in a tier of his own when it comes to putting up yardage (because he's the primary receiving option on this team) without TDs (because this team sucks and they're rarely going to be in the red zone). The TE position doesn't really have any other high-floor, lowish-ceiling type players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i believe TWilly has 3 TDs thus far (one in each game) ... who's to say they can't start breaking Waller's way?

not saying we're ginna see an avalanche, but this is not a putrid offense ... they can move the ball 🤷‍♂️

Until Carr reverts back to his clueless form which is always a risk, look i love Waller too, but people i think are starting to go overboard a bit, just trying to reel it back in haha, only 3 weeks in

Edited by kmoore1521

14 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Until Carr reverts back to his clueless form which is always a risk, look i love Waller too, but people i think are starting to go overboard a bit, just trying to reel it back in haha, only 3 weeks in

Goo goo g'joob

• Haha 5

The dude is 6’6”, athletic, and has a 37” vertical jump. He should be an ideal target in the red zone. I think the TD’s are most definitely coming.

Taken from his scouting report:

STRENGTHS

Yet another Georgia Tech receiver with great length. Plays to his height. Gathers himself and boxes out defenders on fades and jump balls. Uses long arms and gets on his ladder to sky over cornerbacks and high point throws. Effortless strider with untapped vertical speed to go yard. Plus body control. Usually gets two feet in bounds on sideline throws. Plucks the ball with extended hands. Doesn't fear hits from safeties. Almost impossible to guard on back-shoulder throws. Confident and competitive when the ball is in the air.

And:

Waller has a low floor, but with a little more competitive fire and technique work, he could become a legitimate touchdown maker in the league.

Edited by meh2
  • Like 2

I got called crazy, and laughed at for putting a high faab on him in my league, Haven’t heard anything since Sunday though. 🤔

I got a lot of bewildered "who" drafting him as my only TE late in drafts. Word throughout training camp was he was a nightmare to defend and consistently making plays.

48 minutes ago, pdizzle710 said:

I got a lot of bewildered "who" drafting him as my only TE late in drafts. Word throughout training camp was he was a nightmare to defend and consistently making plays.

I remember seeing him on hard knocks actually making contested high point catches that were NASTY and I picked him up instantly. The AB fiasco is where we all won.

• Like 1

I just checked the Yahoo matchup notes:

Matchup Rating 5* (9/29 @Ind)

Darren Waller has 33 receptions over his past eight games (Rank: tied for 7th most in NFL among TEs). The Colts have allowed 44 receptions to TEs over the same timeframe (Rank: 2nd most).

DistantAdvancedCockroach-small.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Godeep said:

I got called crazy, and laughed at for putting a high faab on him in my league, Haven’t heard anything since Sunday though. 🤔

Same here. I knew of 6 other teams who went for him, because the TE position is that fked up this year and somehow Ertz/Engram and Kelce/OJ were on the same team. So the need was insane.

• Like 2

Im already planning for his bye week 6. Vernon davis gets the Dolphins guys #justsaying

• Like 1

1 hour ago, konstao said:

Im already planning for his bye week 6. Vernon davis gets the Dolphins guys #justsaying

Still holding the most frustrating TE this year O.J. for that. 

19 minutes ago, Godeep said:

Still holding the most frustrating TE this year O.J. for that. 

same here. But I'm hoping for some good games in the upcoming weeks so he has some trade value.

I'm glad I got Waller late, but out of curiosity what is everyone's perceived value of him compared to the "big 3". I may or may not have acquired Kittle and Ertz this week for (AJG and Miles Sanders) and now I have a 3 headed monster. Would Waller be valued as a suitable flex? 

He has a dream matchup this week TE wise and I am considering rolling him out over Montgomery, Woods, and Gallman. I feel an 80yd 1TD week, but I feel like the Raiders will find a way to not target him till the second half.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MyDawgggg said:

I'm glad I got Waller late, but out of curiosity what is everyone's perceived value of him compared to the "big 3". I may or may not have acquired Kittle and Ertz this week for (AJG and Miles Sanders) and now I have a 3 headed monster. Would Waller be valued as a suitable flex? 

He has a dream matchup this week TE wise and I am considering rolling him out over Montgomery, Woods, and Gallman. I feel an 80yd 1TD week, but I feel like the Raiders will find a way to not target him till the second half.

He is legitimately the Raiders best weapon besides maybe Jacobs and Gruden doesn't exactly beat around the bush. Bears are inconsistent, Woods is like the 1C in his offense, and Gallman is the most boring handcuff possible.

2 minutes ago, MyDawgggg said:

Not sure I'd ever feel good about playing a TE as a flex unless I really had no other options.  I'd have a tough time playing him at a flex spot over the guys you mentioned.  I'd be looking to make some deals.

That said, it's looking to me like Waller might be this years Kittle.  He's his teams best receiver and they're lining him up all over the field.  

10 minutes ago, MyDawgggg said:

I'm benching Kittle for Waller for the foreseable future in my PPR league (SF on a bye this week, but still)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

Not sure I'd ever feel good about playing a TE as a flex unless I really had no other options.  I'd have a tough time playing him at a flex spot over the guys you mentioned.  I'd be looking to make some deals.

That said, it's looking to me like Waller might be this years Kittle.  He's his teams best receiver and they're lining him up all over the field.  

My thinking was to buy low on Ertz or Kittle and flip them after some good games to the TE needy teams. It'll be hard to choose in the meantime though. But Waller looks like a big receiver out there. He catches very well and I can see some TDs in the future. As long as they can't run it'll be the Waller Williams show

1 hour ago, MyDawgggg said:

Absolutely would start him at flex over those other guys and not think twice about it.