sjm76

Darren Waller 2019 Outlook

On 8/28/2019 at 11:04 PM, WillieSmalls said:

how on God's Green Earth did you extrapolate from his interview that he was a 'guy you want to root for' ? 

he said his entire time in Baltimore he jerked around and 'did drugs every day'.

he could be productive this year, but wtf were you watching? 

What a lousy take here. In Williesmalls world, NOBODY gets second chances. Williesmalls is THE perfect person. Williesmalls NEVER messes up. 

I'm a believer of TE1 upside, I'd buy.

Not a big deal, but I dumped Olsen for him. I think he will be a consistent 10-15 yard reception safety blanket for Carr when he’s scrambling trying not to die.

I told myself I'd go all in on this guy and watched as every TE went by. All that was left was him, Eifert, Witten and Dissly. I'm pretty confident Waller will do good based off volume and his cheat code like measurable. Really hope this doesn't blow up in my face, as the remaining TE pool looks like a freaking leper colony right now. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Mr_Baller said:

He's available and I am not pretty happy with Austin Hooper. Believe the hype?

11 minutes ago, Mr_Baller said:

Step 1.  You’re in this thread. 

6 minutes ago, Mr_Baller said:

I can't have guys like Hooper on my team. Nothing wrong with him, but he's one of those players every team has that your eyes focus on when admiring your lineup and you start to get a little disgusted and slightly offended that he's even in it. He was part my my TE trash carousel last year and even though he finished top 10 in the position (which speaks volume in how much of a dumpster TE is) I always hated having him because he seemed so far down the Falcons pecking order and would go invisible most of the time, so I would look for any excuse to find someone to plug in over him. It wasn't until Jared Cook rose from the grave and ascended above all on the TE trash heap. Waller is every bit the freakshow Cook was and even more. Now I think he can inherit Cook's targets and fill his void with hardly any competition behind him or inside. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dashoe said:

This video starts off on an excellent foot with a C-list actor paying his respects to Pitta.

• Haha 3

Anyone starting him this week? If not, but you do have him on your bench, who's your other option at TE?

I'm starting Mark Andrews as he's a safer play. But I just couldn't risk not grabbing Waller first week just in case he happens to blow up. Too often in fantasy I've had my eyes on someone thinking I'll add them if they have a good first game of the season, but then they blow up and someone beats me to the punch.

1 hour ago, KennyWoo said:

This video starts off on an excellent foot with a C-list actor paying his respects to Pitta.

Dustin Pitta . . .

Edited by Bastardo!

18 minutes ago, RoseLin23 said:

Anyone starting him this week?

Absolutely. Denver can't defend against TE at all, haven't been able to for quite some time now. See: Kittle's numbers against this team last season

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wyzzil said:

I can't have guys like Hooper on my team. Nothing wrong with him, but he's one of those players every team has that your eyes focus on when admiring your lineup and you start to get a little disgusted and slightly offended that he's even in it. He was part my my TE trash carousel last year and even though he finished top 10 in the position (which speaks volume in how much of a dumpster TE is) I always hated having him because he seemed so far down the Falcons pecking order and would go invisible most of the time, so I would look for any excuse to find someone to plug in over him. It wasn't until Jared Cook rose from the grave and ascended above all on the TE trash heap. Waller is every bit the freakshow Cook was and even more. Now I think he can inherit Cook's targets and fill his void with hardly any competition behind him or inside. 

I already feel better about my team thanks to Waller. I can put Hooper away on my bench where he belongs. Why the heck did I draft that guy again?

6 hours ago, Wyzzil said:

This is exactly what I think. I will start him over Hooper this week.

The thing about the TE position too I should add is that unless you have the top 3 maybe even 5 guys, the dropoff from the next group of guys is super steep and not much difference amongst one another. Everyone in here has probably experienced the same horror stories of 1-4 pt performance stretches from your starting TEs, only to shuffle it all around and bring in a different dude only to have the same result. Then you watch in disgust as you missed out on your original guys career game, only to go back to him and try and chase it and get gifted a 3 pt dud. It's the most annoying thing ever.

That's why unless I get the top 5 guys, I don't even expect pts coming back from my TE. Guys like Hooper were like that when I owned them. This is why I'm rolling with Waller ride or die, I don't care. Hooper I know could get me like 2 pt performance or randomly get a TD by some miracle and salvage the day. Waller we don't really know what we get with him. He finally looks to have his head on straight and is dripping with upside. This could blow up in all of our faces, but I'm going in expecting a goose egg anyways, so I'd rather go down swinging with the untapped potential of a SPARQ freakshow with little competition than settle and play it safe for 2-4 pts.

I literally don't have any other options on the barren wasteland of TEs in my league, but even if I did, I still would've started Waller week 1 even with some more "proven" options. There's just so much we don't know about this new version of Waller and so much upside that I feel comfortable enough that my team can carry the load if he somehow chokes. There's just so much reward for very little risk IMO. I really think we have a legit gem here.

• Like 4

Funny, I tried dropping him this morning for Latavius Murray but I got outbid so I ended up keeping him. Maybe it's a sign?!

7 hours ago, lolcopter said:

Absolutely. Denver can't defend against TE at all, haven't been able to for quite some time now. See: Kittle's numbers against this team last season

Vic Fangio is the defensive coordinator now

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CABLE87 said:

Vic Fangio is the defensive coordinator Head Coach now

Fixed.

1 hour ago, FTK75 said:

Fixed.

Yeah that's what I meant lol

I’ve never gone with the zero-TE strategy before, but after years of overdrafting guys like Jordan Reed and watching Delanie Walker go down in Week 1 last year, I decided this was the best free dart throw.

The TE slot is just one slot, and if you don’t get one of the top guys (Engram and Henry were sniped just before I could pick), it doesn’t make sense to overdraft the second tier talent. They’re all basically kickers with more variance. Meanwhile I got a strong WR3/flex option in Alshon rather than reaching for some bum in that TE1/2 tier, who I would have wound up dropping for this year’s Gary Barnidge anyway.

Lets hope Waller is this year’s Gary Barnidge. If he’s not, he cost nothing and I have way better WR/RB depth to trade.

So who's actually starting this cat week 1? I'm very hesitant to pull the trigger as I don't want to get a donut from my TE spot. My other option is Mark Andrews. Those who have Waller, are you rostering another TE or rolling with Waller ride or die?

Edited by RoseLin23