sjm76

Darren Waller 2019 Outlook

4 minutes ago, RoseLin23 said:

So who's actually starting this cat week 1? I'm very hesitant to pull the trigger as I don't want to get a donut from my TE spot. My other option is Mark Andrews. Those who have Waller, are you rostering another TE or rolling with Waller ride or die?

I have no choice 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RoseLin23 said:

So who's actually starting this cat week 1? I'm very hesitant to pull the trigger as I don't want to get a donut from my TE spot. My other option is Mark Andrews. Those who have Waller, are you rostering another TE or rolling with Waller ride or die?

A donut?  Darren Waller is whipping up an crab cake benedict with a lighter-than-air creamy hollandaise sauce for Sunday brunch.  And wait until you see the home fries.

If you went into the draft hoping to wait on TE and grab him late, fire him up.  I think OAK is going to want to showcase him a bit Week 1 and Denver struggled against the TE last season: 72 catches for 1035 yards and 6 TD total.  They were 8th-worst against the TE last season in fantasy points allowed, so it's a better-than-average matchup.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, smeeze said:

2019 version of Ricky Seals-Jones

Could be, but he's more promising than Rsj at least. Rsj had Gresham in front of him and taking snaps away from him as their blocking TE. Waller has nobody with no real competition inside besides Renfroe and completely none behind him at his position. Rsj isn't anywhere close to the freak that Waller is either, he was very slow off the line and running routes and could easily be covered. Waller is a complete matchup nightmare. Carr doesn't seem to want to throw the ball deep anymore, he's like last in air yardage, so we know he likes going to the TE based off Cook's production. Who knows, he could suck, but it couldn't hurt to hold onto him and see. I'm personally starting him and praying for the best. 

7 minutes ago, poofinger said:

I have no choice 

How big is your league? I have options including Ebron, Doyle, Rudolph, Graham, Reed (lol) but none are as sexy as throwing Waller in my lineup and having him blowup so I can talk mad s*** to my league-mates at work on Tuesday.

• Like 4

Why did he do so poorly last year when given the opportunity?

8 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

What am I missing? What opportunity....Jared Cook was there.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

He caught 6/6 targets

4 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Next question: why did he get so few targets?

Because he only played in 4 games behind an established starter

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Next question: why did he get so few targets?

He was a late season signing off the Ravens practice squad. They already had Cook and Carrier established ahead of him. Unless the team is hurting as fug they aren't going to funnel targets randomly to a dude whom they barely know off a ps. He's now had an entire offseason with the team, the main target hog Cook is gone and they like what they see from Waller to name him the starter. It's pretty easy to see. 

1 minute ago, Wyzzil said:

It's pretty easy to see. 

source.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, smeeze said:

source.gif

If you squint hard enough you might actually like what you see. 

1 hour ago, RoseLin23 said:

I am but I my other TE option is Burton which it seems unlikely he will play. I'm firing him up.

No way Antonio brown lets this cat get more than 2-3 targets per game. He will be blocking in 2 te set with Moreau 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, RoseLin23 said:

How big is your league? I have options including Ebron, Doyle, Rudolph, Graham, Reed (lol) but none are as sexy as throwing Waller in my lineup and having him blowup so I can talk mad s*** to my league-mates at work on Tuesday.

Ha. 10 and 12.  I’m all in on this guy. 

2 hours ago, eg4190 said:

I’ve never gone with the zero-TE strategy before,

That's pretty much all but 4-5 teams in every league every year

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wyzzil said:

If you squint hard enough you might actually like what you see. 

giphy.gif

If you have any doubts about Waller's ability, and the way the team has recognized same, watch the jet sweep (yes, they ran a jet sweep to him) that Waller took for a 21-yard gain last December.  Now, most teams don't even have a jet sweep to a TE in their playbook.  It was probably put in to use Waller's athletic ability.  And this was a guy who had just shown up a couple of weeks prior.  The guy is an athletic beast for a TE.  

As for targets, I expect he'll be third in targets of non-RBs (could be behind Jacobs too), same as most tight ends.  There are some tight ends who are targeted more than WR1 or WR2 guys but they all cost you a 3rd round pick or higher.  If Waller is the player I think he can be, his target share will be there.  And if he really balls out, he'll get more targets, etc.

This guy is going undrafted in most 12-team drafts.  It doesn't take much upside to make him worth a grab.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

Poorly?   The guy had a 100% catch rate last year.  

Waller is a dart throw in 2TE leagues. Starting him week 1 is crazy. Echo chamber x RW forum hype x Hard Knocks feel-good storytelling. You guys are nuts.

Nice sleeper, potential to finish top 12. Guy has size and speed to make things happen on this offense. Don’t be shocked if he leads the team in targets behind AB.

7 minutes ago, mjb said:

Nice sleeper, potential to finish top 12. Guy has size and speed to make things happen on this offense. Don’t be shocked if he leads the team in targets behind AB.

Tyrell Williams only did well one season and that was in 2016 when Allen had gotten hurt. Waller should be #2.

Edited by Corey In Da House
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Waller is a dart throw in 2TE leagues. Starting him week 1 is crazy. Echo chamber x RW forum hype x Hard Knocks feel-good storytelling. You guys are nuts.

Are you calling me crazy!?  I'm not crazy, you're crazy.  I'm not crazy, you're crazy!

EveryHiddenGoshawk-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 2