tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

As the calendar flips to June, many of MLB's bullpen hierarchies have settled, at least for the time being.  Heading into May, a full third of MLB teams had no designated closer, while the most recent edition of the PitcherList closer rankings shows only six committee situations.

That's not to say that there aren't some volatile bullpens out there.  Shawn Kelley is "the guy" right now in Arlington, but Jose LeClerc, shaky peripherals and all, is still looming.  The Red Sox seem content to just cycle through different late inning options, with Marcus Walden being the latest to get looks in closer situations.  And for those with a strong stomach and a desperate need for saves, Shawn Armstrong seems to be... ah, forget it, just go speculate on a next-in-line guy if you're thinking about rostering an Orioles closer.

If you've got an open DL slot, Hunter Strickland's probably a good stash right now, as he could be back this month.  Meanwhile, the elimination of August waiver trades, we could see an earlier push for playoff teams to strengthen their bullpens, turning closers into setup men and vice versa.  Oh, and I seem to remember there's an accomplished free agent closer out there as well looking for work...

So, let's talk June closers.  And while you're waiting for some RP news, here's a fun story from last year about a Phillies fan who's expressing his love of bullpen pitchers in a rather unique way:

Step into The Relief Room – In this bullpen, it’s not the dugout calling. It’s nature.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Anybody know why Diaz wasn't in there to close out the game last night?

2 hours ago, Tugginroot said:

probably rest

2 hours ago, Tugginroot said:

Callaway said both he and Familia were unavailable after the game. Probably just rest, but I'd say it's something to monitor since the night prior Callaway said Diaz would be available but then the reporters went and asked Diaz if he was available and he said he wasn't. 

• Like 2

LeClerc served as the fireman today. 

No idea when or if he's getting the 9th back. 

1 minute ago, 96mnc said:

LeClerc served as the fireman today. 

No idea when or if he's getting the 9th back. 

He has actually pitched very good. I wish they would let him have another chance, but they seem comfortable with the current situation. Maybe Kelley will keep the job. I was/am a big Leclerc backer, and I've been holding since I drafted him.... but I am even beginning to wonder.

3 hours ago, Tugginroot said:

30 high stress pitches when he got annihilated on Wednesday. They likely though that warranted a two-day break. 

• Like 1

5 outs, 5ks and the save for mr Jackson.  That works. 

• Like 2

Ken Giles has pitched good but not many save opportunities recently.

Ty Buttrey with an 11 pitch 1-2-3 dominating 8th inning.  Any chance he comes back out for the 9th with how Robles has struggled recently?  As someone who has been stashing Buttrey all year (well since the 2nd week of the year), the lack of save opportunities despite how much everyone else in the bullpen sucks has been absolutely maddening.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Ty Buttrey with an 11 pitch 1-2-3 dominating 8th inning.  Any chance he comes back out for the 9th with how Robles has struggled recently?  As someone who has been stashing Buttrey all year (well since the 2nd week of the year), the lack of save opportunities despite how much everyone else in the bullpen sucks has been absolutely maddening.

Silly me actually thinking Buttrey had a chance to come back out for the 9th and get a save.  It doesn't matter how bad every else in the bullpen sucks.  Buttrey is never ever going to get a shot to close.  Very frustrating for sure.

Edited by FootballFan101

17 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, nlm said:

He has actually pitched very good. I wish they would let him have another chance, but they seem comfortable with the current situation. Maybe Kelley will keep the job. I was/am a big Leclerc backer, and I've been holding since I drafted him.... but I am even beginning to wonder.

Managers always say it's temporary when they remove someone from the closer's role because they don't want to totally destroy the ex-closer's confidence.  However, how often do you actually see an ex-closer get his job back in the same year for the same team?  Edwin Diaz in 2017 is the only one I can think of in recent memory.  (After totally bombing out as Nats closer in 2017, Treinen got a chance to close again after he was traded to the A's but that wasn't for the same team.)

As long as Kelley is doing fine (which he has been so far), there's no reason at all to make a change back.

19 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Managers always say it's temporary when they remove someone from the closer's role because they don't want to totally destroy the ex-closer's confidence.  However, how often do you actually see an ex-closer get his job back in the same year for the same team?  Edwin Diaz in 2017 is the only one I can think of in recent memory.  (After totally bombing out as Nats closer in 2017, Treinen got a chance to close again after he was traded to the A's but that wasn't for the same team.)

As long as Kelley is doing fine (which he has been so far), there's no reason at all to make a change back.

Vasquez last year, Ken Giles lost it a couple of times in Houston.  

7 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Vasquez last year, Ken Giles lost it a couple of times in Houston.  

I know he struggled at the beginning of last season, but was Vazquez ever actually removed from the closer's role?  I can't find any article saying he was removed.  And Giles didn't get back the closer's role in Houston after he was removed; it wasn't until he was traded to Toronto

So who are you guys speculating on that will become closers in the near future.

Buttrey seems obvious 

How about bottom dwelling teams that might sell closers?  

Here are two stash candidates I am thinking about :

1)  Jimenez in Detroit (Green has been awesome as a closer, but Detroit isn't going anywhere)

2) Moronta in SF (SF has to be selling, only danger here is Moronta might be best, but the entire pen has "closer experience")

Who is on your list?

14 minutes ago, LoganRonin said:

So who are you guys speculating on that will become closers in the near future.

Buttrey seems obvious   ...

Why?  Everything I have read here in this forum says he is in the fireman role, not closer.

It's had its ups and down, but I'm not sure I'm up for the Robles closer rollercoaster much longer.  Next blow up I think I'm done. 

• Like 1

Neris used in the bottom of the 9th in a tie game against the bottom of the order

Kapler is troll master #1

10 minutes ago, Overlord said:

It's had its ups and down, but I'm not sure I'm up for the Robles closer rollercoaster much longer.  Next blow up I think I'm done. 

Guy just got a save. Bite your tongue. 

• Like 1

Hopefully Diaz can pitch more in non save situations.   Always a chance for a save when he's unavailable.   Unreal 

Carlos Martinez with the save after Hicks threw 35 pitches yesterday.

Carlos Martinez just got the 9th and the save vs. the Cubs. I'm sure Jordan Hicks was unavailable after pitching 3 innings over the last two days for a save and a win.