tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

I know he struggled at the beginning of last season, but was Vazquez ever actually removed from the closer's role?  I can't find any article saying he was removed.  And Giles didn't get back the closer's role in Houston after he was removed; it wasn't until he was traded to Toronto

I owned Vazquez and definitely recalled when he was not the main guy for a very short stretch.  He was basically given a "breather" type of thing and we were all on here speculating as to who was going to be the next guy to get the save opportunities.  However, he quickly reestablished himself and was back in his role and has been a lockdown closer ever since.  So yes I do think he regained the role that he essentially lost temporarily.    In 2016 Giles was indeed removed the closers role and eventually got the gig back by the end of the summer.   He was really awful early  and Luke Gregerson closed a number of games for them then Giles (who was brought there to close) was given chance and blew up.  Will Harris took over for awhile before bottoming out with Giles finally returning to the role.  The next year Giles was pretty bad as well and think he lost a full grip on the role then too.  I am not going to look that one up though but suffice it to say Giles has been in and out of that role his whole time in Houston.

I am guessing over time there were a few more but overall I would agree that most closers do not get it back for the same team, especially in the same year.   
In this particular case I could see a scenario where Leclerc doesn't get it back this year either but still be considered their future closer.   That's just due to his age, stuff and contract combined with Kelley's age and previous longtime view of where he belonged in a bullpen (always had good numbers but never considered the closer guy).   However, if Kelley works out and Leclerc keeps dominating Texas may start seeing him in a fireman role a la Buttrey this year,  and Hader and Andrew Miller in previous years.   That actually makes a lot of sense to me.     

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

Managers always say it's temporary when they remove someone from the closer's role because they don't want to totally destroy the ex-closer's confidence.  However, how often do you actually see an ex-closer get his job back in the same year for the same team?  Edwin Diaz in 2017 is the only one I can think of in recent memory.  (After totally bombing out as Nats closer in 2017, Treinen got a chance to close again after he was traded to the A's but that wasn't for the same team.)

As long as Kelley is doing fine (which he has been so far), there's no reason at all to make a change back.

Ac

4 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

I know he struggled at the beginning of last season, but was Vazquez ever actually removed from the closer's role?  I can't find any article saying he was removed.  And Giles didn't get back the closer's role in Houston after he was removed; it wasn't until he was traded to Toronto

Actually looking at last year's game logs I am going to say that Vazquez probably never officially lost the role.  He had a number of failed saves (4 out of 5) just at the end of May and early June with two epic blowouts ( like 5 runs in each).   In the next game that counted Rich Rodriguez worked the 9th in a tie game but ended up losing that game.   At the time I recall Rodriguez was hot on everyone's list.   However, a few days later Vazquez was back in there and secured a save and was good the rest of the way.  I couldn't find anything from management that said he was demoted from the closers role so will not say that he was.

• Like 1

why do people think for sure that Leclerc gets the job back in Texas? the contract isn't much money so he doesn't have to close to justify the contract.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

why do people think for sure that Leclerc gets the job back in Texas? the contract isn't much money so he doesn't have to close to justify the contract.

Well at one point the manager said as much. That said, Kelley has been good, LeClerc has been good in his role, and the Rangers are winning. So goes baseball. So I’m definitely less confident about it today than I was 3 weeks ago.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LJJr said:

5 outs, 5ks and the save for mr Jackson.  That works. 

I havent been following the braves BP situation. Is Jackson the actual closer, or is it more of a committee?

Posted (edited)

I think it's time for a quick update post... Lots of questions on situations that are pretty clear IMO. 

ATL... Jackson is entrenched in the role for now. 

BOS... Full on committee. 

KC... Looks like Kennedy's to lose right now. 

LAA... Robles is the closer. It will take multiple BS to lose it. Buttrey has gotten the opps when Robles is unavailable but Allen puts a wrinkle in things. 

MIN... It's been a committee all year. 

SEA... Bass with a good 4-out close a few days ago. Potential to run with it but Strickland return is coming. He will likely need both enough opportunities before the return and success to hold it. Strickland probably the safest speculative bet on this. 

TB... Full on committee

TEX... Kelley will have to lose it. Leclerc has given them sufficient reason to earn the role back if they planned on going back to him once he got "right". Personally, I don't trust Kelley but he's getting the job done. IMO, there's nothing wrong with rostering Leclerc but Kelley will need to open the door for him. 

Edited by Random Dude
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You know you're a journeyman when you've pitched for 5 teams in 8 years and your stock photo isn't even for one of those teams.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bassan01.shtml

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Random Dude said:

I think it's time for a quick update post... Lots of questions on situations that are pretty clear IMO. 

LAA... Robles is the closer. It will take multiple BS to lose it. Buttrey has gotten the opps when Robles is unavailable but Allen puts a wrinkle in things. 

SEA... Bass with a good 4-out close a few days ago. Potential to run with it but Strickland return is coming. He will likely need both enough opportunities before the return and success to hold it. Strickland probably the safest speculative bet on this. 

TB... Full on committee

TEX... Kelley will have to lose it. Leclerc has given them sufficient reason to earn the role back if they planned on going back to him once he got "right". Personally, I don't trust Kelley but he's getting the job done. IMO, there's nothing wrong with rostering Leclerc but Kelley will need to open the door for him. 

Baltimore...Shawn Armstrong or Richard Bleier  look like the preferred choice currently..but a mess of a situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Random Dude said:

TB... Full on committee

I agree with all of this but I would add to the MIN situation that Parker has been the main guy unless there are a couple lefties coming up in the 9th. Then they go with Rogers.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

I agree with all of this but I would add to the MIN situation that Parker has been the main guy unless there are a couple lefties coming up in the 9th. Then they go with Rogers.

Although you wouldn't know that since Parker hasn't gotten a save since May 20, and the last right-hander in their bullpen to get one was Ryne Harper when Parker pitched the 8th for whatever reason on May 28.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Although you wouldn't know that since Parker hasn't gotten a save since May 20, and the last right-hander in their bullpen to get one was Ryne Harper when Parker pitched the 8th for whatever reason on May 28.

Parker was used as fireman that time in the 8th. He maybe could’ve finished it but not sure if it was a matchup thing or usage thing.

They've also won games by wide margins too. A couple 9th inning 4 run lead appearances I think too. Just unlucky imo. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

I’d put him at 70% closer share. 

My my concern is they go after a true closer in a trade. 

Edited by Members_Only_76

2 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Parker was used as fireman that time in the 8th. He maybe could’ve finished it but not sure if it was a matchup thing or usage thing.

They've also won games by wide margins too. A couple 9th inning 4 run lead appearances I think too. Just unlucky imo. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

True, they have, so some of it is bad luck, but he's gotten hardly any saves all season.  Not saying people should drop him since his stats are still good, but I moved on from him a while ago (via trade, not cut) since it was basically the same as having a middle reliever.

2 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

True, they have, so some of it is bad luck, but he's gotten hardly any saves all season.  Not saying people should drop him since his stats are still good, but I moved on from him a while ago (via trade, not cut) since it was basically the same as having a middle reliever.

Never mind what I said. Drop that bum 😂 

I think that might be it for Hicks....getting pulled out in the 9th inning with runners on 1st and 3rd in a 2-0 game...really shows the lack of confidence of the manager in Hicks right now. 

Carlos Martinez should be the favorite to have the most saves for STL ROS

Hicks might have needed another day off. Pitched three days ago (don't know # of pitches) and then 35 over two innings two days ago. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

Gant maybe in St. Louis? 

carlos Martinez has been all that good.

Edited by mlb2019

Cmart pitched Thursday, Friday and Saturday so he was probably wasnt available today.  

With hicks struggling they should give CMart a look. 

Ugh...hate rostering two RPs just to get the production of 1 closer.

• Like 3

Just now, Under500Forever said:

Cmart pitched Thursday, Friday and Saturday so he was probably wasnt available today.  

With hicks struggling they should give CMart a look. 

in the last week Martinez has two innings were he gave up 1 and 2 earned runs.

6 minutes ago, mlb2019 said:

Sometimes the results don't match up with how someone looked. Martinez has had some rust but you can see he has the stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

As I said weeks ago, Hicks has always been a fast straight thrower not a pitcher and this will be Cmarts bullpen sooner rather than later. And now it appears to be going that way.

Edited by cyberer
  • Like 1

I'm not sure he'll get a shot, but damn, Gant's numbers look impressive. His average FB velo sits at 96.6mph, up from 92-93 when he was a starter. Adding to that, he's throwing a 90mpn cutter, an 83mph change, and a 77mph curve. All 4 pitches have positive p values. That sounds like the profile of a scary closer. 1.17 ERA, 0.72 WHIP, 9.98k/p, and 2.64bb/9 seems legit.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, mlb2019 said:

Cmart has struggled a little bit too but he just got going a few weeks ago. Hicks has given up 6 runs over the last 12-14 days. 

Cmart did pretty well closing last year so maybe they give him a shot. Cmart wasn’t available today after going 3 straight