tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

1 minute ago, JameisofThrones said:

Armstrong hasn't allowed an earned run in his last eight appearances and has a 1.62 ERA since joining the O's, so I think you could argue he is better at this point. Converted a save when they briefly banished Givens from the closer role so he has had a mini audition. Would not be surprised to see him get the next chance.

Very much possible. But with such a small sample size, it's hard to argue who is better or worse. To be fair to Givens, if you look at his career numbers, they're overall pretty solid.

Workman pitched the 9th of a tie game. Was warming up last night during a possible save situation. He’s been solid the last month. 0.68 era 0.98 whip which mostly due to walks. 17ks in 13.1 innings. Why shouldn’t he get a shot? I’ve picked him up and based on the usage lately I have a feeling he will get an opportunity. Honestly they don’t have better options, based on performance, IMO. 

1 hour ago, JameisofThrones said:

Armstrong hasn't allowed an earned run in his last eight appearances and has a 1.62 ERA since joining the O's, so I think you could argue he is better at this point. Converted a save when they briefly banished Givens from the closer role so he has had a mini audition. Would not be surprised to see him get the next chance.

I think I've brought up Armstrong multiple times in here, but for whatever reason they went back to Givens after everybody thought they were going to a committee.  Givens did little to earn the role back, and Armstrong has been pretty good.  Sure, they don't get very many opportunities, but even awful teams like them get a handful of ones here and there and there's no reason why Armstrong hasn't been given a look by now.

Givens has had good numbers prior to this season, but it's 2019 and the numbers are awful.

18 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Honestly they don’t have better options, based on performance, IMO. 

Barnes is looking awfully sexy, though

K/9: Hader 17.64, Barnes 16.57

XFIP: Barnes 1.51, Hader 1.87

But Luke Jackson also has elite ratios, so who knows.

Good lord how many of hader saves are 2 inning saves?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Barnes is looking awfully sexy, though

K/9: Hader 17.64, Barnes 16.57

XFIP: Barnes 1.51, Hader 1.87

But Luke Jackson also has elite ratios, so who knows.

If I remember correctly, most of the guys Boston has tried are great when they pitch in anything but a save situation, but not so much when they are closing a game.  I don't think Barnes is an exception there, which is nuts given how dominant he is otherwise, but some of it is mental.  Their struggles in the 9th inning are why a few of us wouldn't mind seeing Workman get a shot to actually be in the role for more than a random save situation.

Edited by KilloWertz

surprised there's not more st louis chatter - I can't find an explanation for today's usage. Analytics? bullpen by committee? Fireman role? Changing of the guard? 

8 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

How long does everyone think wades leash is in the mile high city?

He is coming back from injury.  Combine that with his resume and I imagine it would take a couple more blown saves for him to removed from the role.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

If I remember correctly, most of the guys Boston has tried are great when they pitch in anything but a save situation, but not so much when they are closing a game.  I don't think Barnes is an exception there, which is nuts given how dominant he is otherwise, but some of it is mental.  Their struggles in the 9th inning are why a few of us wouldn't mind seeing Workman get a shot to actually be in the role for more than a random save situation.

Workman is just as bad.  You can't close when you keep walking everyone.

1 hour ago, cyberer said:

surprised there's not more st louis chatter - I can't find an explanation for today's usage. Analytics? bullpen by committee? Fireman role? Changing of the guard? 

Shildt basically said he was playing conservative just in case there's extra innings, because the bullpen was depleted. Martinez breezed through the eighth, so he took advantage of that by just letting him try to finish it and have Hicks available to bail him out or pitch in extras, just in case. Hicks is still the guy who gets the most saves, but Carlos or someone else might get the odd save in a weird situation like this.

-- In STLtoday.com article (St. Louis Post-Dispatch):https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinals-notebook-birds-not-trying-to-baby-rarely-used-hicks/article_858a978c-fa1e-5843-9df8-2aa17e26446c.html

"When Martinez sped through the eighth inning Sunday, Shildt gave him the ninth to save Hicks should there be trouble – or extra innings. The Cardinals did not have a readily available long reliever, Shildt said.

“We don’t have a short guy, either,” the manager detailed."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Surprising candor from a manager.

Posted (edited)

Davis has two blowups since coming off of the DL now.... 3 straight games with runs; 2 blown saves in a row. Would we be looking at Scott Oberg possibly (should he were to get replaced)?

Edited by nlm

13 minutes ago, nlm said:

Davis has two blowups since coming off of the DL now.... 3 straight games with runs; 2 blown saves in a row. Would we be looking at Scott Oberg possibly (should he were to get replaced)?

Refer to what @B&F posted up there a few replies back ☝🏽

3 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

How long does everyone think wades leash is in the mile high city?

$12 million

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cyberer said:

Carlos Martinez picked up his second save of the season in Sunday's win over the Mets, tossing two scoreless innings.

Martinez came out to start the bottom of the eighth inning after Paul DeJong snapped a 3-3 tie with a solo home run in the top of the frame. He proceeded to breeze through the final two innings of the contest, striking out two without walking a batter. Todd Frazier did manage a little single with one out in the ninth inning, but was promptly erased on a game-ending double play ball off the bat of Wilson Ramos. In the short term, the hard-throwing right-hander could see additional save opportunities here and there when Jordan Hicks needs a day off. The tentative plan is that C-Mart will be worked back into the rotation around the All-Star break. In 11 2/3 innings (all as a reliever) this season, Martinez owns a 3.09 ERA with an 11/4 K/BB ratio.

Jun 16, 2019, 5:07 PM ET
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, B&F said:

He is coming back from injury.  Combine that with his resume and I imagine it would take a couple more blown saves for him to removed from the role.

See Mark Melancon. I'd grab Oberg. Better safe than sorry.

Edited by michaelai3
  • Like 1

Is anyone dropping Luke Jackson? 

I can’t imagine the Braves sticking with him since he’s been terrible lately. 

Just now, Under500Forever said:

Is anyone dropping Luke Jackson? 

I can’t imagine the Braves sticking with him since he’s been terrible lately. 

Depends what is on the wire and how deep the league is but an argument not to is his peripheral numbers still look good.  My guess is Swarzak gets the next save opportunity.

If it is a deep league any player with value move off the wire quickly so that is something to consider. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B&F said:

Depends what is on the wire and how deep the league is but an argument not to is his peripheral numbers still look good.  My guess is Swarzak gets the next save opportunity.

If it is a deep league any player with value move off the wire quickly so that is something to consider. 

I don’t want to make this a bench coach thing but my league is 16 teams. 

I was thinking of starting Swarzak and dropping luke but I don’t know how the brave pen will play out. 

1 minute ago, Under500Forever said:

I don’t want to make this a bench coach thing but my league is 16 teams. 

I was thinking of starting Swarzak and dropping luke but I don’t know how the brave pen will play out. 

I wouldn't drop him just yet, not to make this a BC thing. No official announcement has been made and his numbers are still very good. I think Swarzak is next in line, but by the time the next save comes around, Jackson may have had a few days to clear his head and be given the chance. You never can be sure.

• Like 1

My guess is that Jackson is at DEFCON 1 but gets the next chance. But that’s only because I haven’t seen anything from the manager other than the “it’s the life of a closer” quote. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I believe Jackson gets another shot and if he blows it then for sure he’s going to be removed 

Edited by tonycpsu
  • Like 1

As I said before, Snitker is very loyal like Bobby Cox was to his guys... buuuutttt, Jackson only assumed the role due to Viz’s injury, and Minters implosion. 

That said, Jackson has SIX blown saves, (not all of which have come as closer) and his last was a heartbreaker. 

I added Swarzack, but there were some interesting quotes in an AGJ article from yesterday that lead me to believe Minter will get another chance. Don’t have link, but gist was, “That was the best I’d seen him since spring”... “He looked like his old self. The velocity ticked up, cutter was good. It’s the best he’s looked since we started in February.”

Now extract what you will, but Jackson has never been spoken about as a closer till he became one, Minter was actually damn good last year shy of injuries, and was in a car wreck in spring training that was alluded to in the article. Snitker knows how good this team is, also knows how bad the pen is... my gut says Swazark gets next chance, but Minter’s K of Bryce Harper in a seven pitch battle Saturday, along w/ his follow up comments... those things stick in a managers mind. 

Confused yet? (41/39/20 IMHO for Swazark/Minter/Jackson) going forward. 

• Like 3

If it does wind up being Swarzak who gets a majority of save chances in the ATL pen, that will be quite interesting. He was a waiver wire darling early on this season when it looked as though he could possibly snag the SEA CL gig and they were kind of rolling... Then he started to pitch like s---, wound up getting dumped in a salary trade, and now has pitched his way back into save talk with a new winning ballclub. Kind of funny how that came full circle.

• Like 1