tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, arthurpete said:

There really hasnt been a clear picture in KC til recently. I havent followed them too closely but it doesnt seem like Ian was in the closer conversation til about early May. Either way, ill take the high BABIP with how few he walks batters (3 BB in his last 15 appearances) and he is approaching a 12 K/9 ratio...pretty impressive, hopefully it continues.

It was pretty much a committee to start the year with Kennedy as part of the top 3 options. He was the guy left standing.  Still there was uncertainty because so little opportunities left everyone waiting but Kennedy was the guy. I am all for the k and bb ratios as usually that's end of story with those numbers.  He concerns me still...

Edited by knuckleheads

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Think it’s just Bell spazzing and blowing his Iglesias wad so to speak in the 8th as a “firefighter”. Same old.

Except this time he pulled Iglesias out. So maybe he figured out it doesn’t work trying to let Iglesias go multiple innings or 4+ outs. Iglesias probably would have another L right now if he stayed in.

I'm not salty. 😝

But why is he burning his 'firefighter' in the 8th against the likes of Chirinos, White, Kemp? Bell even had him up warming in the bottom of the 7th which basically forced his hand to use Iglesias there since he was already warm. Situation was runner on first, one out when he was brought in. Sure its a one run game, but this isn't a mission critical moment with the heart of the order, damage guys coming up. You need to trust Garrett there. He was only at 12 pitches and he has no splits vs RHP (.196/.317/.314) that warrants pulling him. 

Its just dumb, dumb managing.

Iglesias knows this and isn't handling the 'why in the hell am I in here at this time?' moments well. I have no problem saying that that's on him, he should perform when he's called on to, but that doesn't excuse the boneheadedness of creating the situation in the first place and that's on Bell. 

Edited by Junkie Cosmonaut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Didn't the Reds win? 

You might not believe this, but in spite of their incompetence, no matter what the year, the 30th best MLB manager is going to find a way to stumble into a win or 50. 

Iglesias is the closer and not losing his job.  Iglesias admitted his command was off due to not pitching for 7 days.  Lorenzen did look great finishing the game off.  

With a runner on first base and one out in the ninth inning Monday, Reds manager David Bell replaced closer Raisel Iglesias on the mound with Michael Lorenzen in a one-run game. 
It was a surprising move – Iglesias had thrown 21 pitches to record three outs and walk two batters – and it was a move that worked. Lorenzen, facing the middle of the Houston Astros lineup, sealed a 3-2 victory at Great American Ball Park with a flyout and a strikeout on a 99-mph fastball. 
Lorenzen did a 180-degree spin after his final pitch and screamed as he stared toward center field. 
"We’re just trying to do whatever we can to give us our best chance to win," Bell said. "Raisel’s done it before, he’s going to do it again. He’s a great pitcher. He’s going to be ready next time. He’ll get plenty more opportunities to do that. Tonight, it seemed like the right move."

Bell had a brief chat with Iglesias after the game. Iglesias said he was OK with whatever helped the team win. Bell told him to be ready for the next game and he would receive more save opportunities. 
"I wasn’t surprised at all," Iglesias said through team translator Julio Morillo. "My command wasn’t good enough because I spent (seven) days without pitching.

What Bell liked about his bullpen Monday was how relievers helped each other out. Lorenzen stranded a runner in the ninth. Iglesias stranded two runners in scoring position in the eighth inning when it appeared he was going to attempt a five-out save. 
Lefty reliever Amir Garrett stranded runners on second and third in the seventh inning. All of it happened with a one-run lead against one of the top teams in the American League. Combined with a 12-0 loss to the Toronto Blue Jays on Sunday, it was the first time the Astros lost two consecutive games since May 22-23.

When Iglesias stranded two runners in the eighth inning, Garrett stood up from his spot on the dugout bench and slammed his towel to the ground in celebration. Garrett, who was responsible for the runner at third base, clapped as he walked over the dugout stairs and offered a high-five to Iglesias.
"That’s what good teams do," Bell said. "You just pick each other up. Guys stay ready to pitch in any situation."
"This is about winning games."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HammerinHank19 said:

Iglesias is the closer and not losing his job.  Iglesias admitted his command was off due to not pitching for 7 days.  Lorenzen did look great finishing the game off.  

And you know why he didn't pitch in a week? Because he only wants to pitch in the 9th in save situations. Now he says he was rusty. I dislike excuses...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

And you know why he didn't pitch in a week? Because he only wants to pitch in the 9th in save situations. Now he says he was rusty. I dislike excuses...

I dislike my fantasy closer not getting saves. Oh wait we’re not here to talk fantasy closers and their usage or lack there of. 😬

6 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I dislike my fantasy closer not getting saves. Oh wait we’re not here to talk fantasy closers and their usage or lack there of. 😬

Talk about it...

Just now, knuckleheads said:

Talk about it...

Bell sucks! 😂

11 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Bell sucks! 😂

I wish they would have asked Bell why he brought Iglesias into the game in the 8th inning instead of Lorenzen?  Would it had not made sense to bring Lorenzen in the 8th and save Iglesias for the 9th?  I think this is the exact situation that Iglesias was not happy about when he lodged his original complaint.  What Bell did last night worked, but I think it's a fair question would Iglesias have gotten the save in the 9th had he not been brought in for the 8th?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, arthurpete said:

5 Saves in 10 days! For all those that clamor on about bottom barrel teams not getting save opps...remember that crappy teams still end up playing other crappy teams 

I think if Kansas City could play at even a 70 win pace the rest of the way, he'd have a chance to do real well. I like closers on teams that play in tough hitting parks like KC, SF, MIA and SD. Even when those teams are really bad, those parks suppress scores enough to make a high percentage of their wins in play for saves. 

13 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

For all the talk about poor teams not getting many opportunities, Kennedy has sure racked up a good amount of saves the last couple weeks. 

Boy was he/they due. Royals lack of save chances has been extreme. 

Tough call on Kennedy, if he's good he's a valuable trade commodity. If he stinks, then you get bad stats on your team.  I guess just ride him out until the trade deadline, but be ready to grab Barlow or Diekman

1 minute ago, murraygd13 said:

Tough call on Kennedy, if he's good he's a valuable trade commodity. If he stinks, then you get bad stats on your team.  I guess just ride him out until the trade deadline, but be ready to grab Barlow or Diekman

Kennedy is making 16.5M this year and next which will make him trickier to trade. I'd imagine KC would have to eat a good chunk of that if they expect anything of value in return.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

would love to scoop up oberg...just gotta figure wade will get at least one more shot...lol

I’ll be watching Colorado closely this week. I’m sure Davis will get the next chance but if he falters I’m sprinting to grab Oberg. 

1 hour ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

I’ll be watching Colorado closely this week. I’m sure Davis will get the next chance but if he falters I’m sprinting to grab Oberg. 

in a very save hungry league...prefer not having to "sprint" to get him...lol

but that means dropping someone for oberg who may or may not get the gig

Who the heck gets the gig once MIB get dealt? Moronta, Dyson (just no), Melonhead, Gott, T-Wat all having good years. Seems Giants relievers automatically find success once they go there. I thought they might go younger fireballer in Moronta but he's pitched 3 times in 2 weeks!

54 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Who the heck gets the gig once MIB get dealt? Moronta, Dyson (just no), Melonhead, Gott, T-Wat all having good years. Seems Giants relievers automatically find success once they go there. I thought they might go younger fireballer in Moronta but he's pitched 3 times in 2 weeks!

My money is on Melancon. Follow the money and he's actually been pitching well this year.

7 hours ago, HammerinHank19 said:

I wish they would have asked Bell why he brought Iglesias into the game in the 8th inning instead of Lorenzen?  Would it had not made sense to bring Lorenzen in the 8th and save Iglesias for the 9th?  I think this is the exact situation that Iglesias was not happy about when he lodged his original complaint.  What Bell did last night worked, but I think it's a fair question would Iglesias have gotten the save in the 9th had he not been brought in for the 8th?

If Garrett had been able to finish the 8th, I think Iglesias would have come in for the 9th. Iglesias is their best reliever so Bell wanted him to shut down any potential Astros rally

9 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

You might not believe this, but in spite of their incompetence, no matter what the year, the 30th best MLB manager is going to find a way to stumble into a win or 50. 

Don’t the Reds have one of the best bullpen ERAs in all of baseball?

33 minutes ago, tuesdays said:

If Garrett had been able to finish the 8th, I think Iglesias would have come in for the 9th. Iglesias is their best reliever so Bell wanted him to shut down any potential Astros rally

So Lorenzen is trusted to get the last 2 outs in the 9th (Brantley and Alvarez - both beasts)? But not trusted to get a couple outs in the 8th (Chrinos, White, Kemp)?

I think that's what we're trying to say, Bell isn't "thinking"...he's spazzing and putting Iglesias in at the wrong time (for save opportunities). Why not put Lorenzen in the 8th and go from there? Last night it actually worked, luckily (Brantley lined out). But it has failed many other times previously.

37 minutes ago, tuesdays said:

None of this really matters anyways. Iglesias complained when he was not saved for 9th inning only situations and then says he was wild because he hadn't pitched in a week.  Nothing is his fault apparently...