tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

11 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

And digging deeper the Reds bullpen actually has the highest WAR in the majors.   So Junkie there is some real analysis for you on how successful Bell's bullpen.   Retort if you can but use numbers not emotion...

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2019&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=&enddate=

Yet those same relievers are 12-16. Its about winning games, not WAR, not ERA

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Are we seriously talking about reliever wins?  As opposed to ERA or WAR?

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Are we seriously talking about reliever wins?  As opposed to ERA or WAR?

When the talent is supposedly that good and still failing at the overall goal, where should blame lie? The team is 5 games under with a run differential of +40. Their Pythagorean record is 7 games better than what they have to show for it. That's pretty hard to accomplish in 71 games 

• Thanks 1

Blame away, by all means.  But the bullpen usage has been excellent by practically any metric.  It’s strange to place blame on the pen usage for their struggles.

• Like 3

Can we create a manager thread so you all can argue there and we can back to actual updates about relievers in here?

Not trying to be snarky, as many good points are being made in here... But over the last three pages there is mostly discussion about Bell, not the actual relievers.

• Like 9

Surprised H. Robles is only ~30% owned in ESPN leagues.

4 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Wow.  That's quite the take.

I am curious where you got that stat though.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bgar15 said:

Surprised H. Robles is only ~30% owned in ESPN leagues.

Surprising.  I guess most people do not believe he will hold onto the job long term.

Edited by B&F

We ready to bounce on Luke Jackson? Blown 4 of his last 8 saves but overall his numbers aren’t that bad... I feel like he’s on real thin ice with those behind him

Anyone want to take a shot at ranking some of the top speculative guys to add/stash?

Bummer (potential Colome trade)

Swarzak (no one locked it down yet)

Lorenzen (mainly for vultures)

Moronta (potential Smith trade)

Melancon (potential Smith trade)

May (Parker out on family leave and committee, and he sucks)

Biagini (potential Giles trade)

Cody Allen (kidding)

Bedrosian (potential Robles trade)

Jimenez (potential Greene trade)

Armstrong (potential Givens trade)

Leclerc (in case he gets another chance)

others??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

If that's the best you can offer in response then so be it. Later...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Biig_Pressure21 said:

Haering whispers that the White Sox are "possibly" looking to trade Colome in the next few weeks.  Keep an eye on Bummer.  If your desperate for saves.  Now might be a good time to stash and do the wait and see if you have room.

I’ll continue to maintain that this is improbable with the White Sox pushing .500 & only a couple games out of the second wild card slot.  Everyone figured they’d get done in by their brutal schedule this month, but all of a sudden it’s June 19 and they’re hanging in there.  The July schedule is looking awfully nice with KC, DET, MIA, NYM, etc.  Some potential playoff teams like TB, OAK, MIN, CHC, etc, but nothing too frightening.

Plus, hearing whispers somehow implies that you’re tuned in to what the front office is thinking, when in all likelihood you heard these whispers in your sleep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Anyone want to take a shot at ranking some of the top speculative guys to add/stash?

Bummer (potential Colome trade)

Swarzak (no one locked it down yet)

Lorenzen (mainly for vultures)

Moronta (potential Smith trade)

Melancon (potential Smith trade)

May (Parker out on family leave and committee, and he sucks)

Biagini (potential Giles trade)

Cody Allen (kidding)

Bedrosian (potential Robles trade)

Jimenez (potential Greene trade)

Armstrong (potential Givens trade)

Leclerc (in case he gets another chance)

others??

Minter has to be in there. Also Wingenter, Rainey, Fairbanks are all young guns on my watch list that might jump in under the right circumstances.

5 hours ago, B&F said:

Surprising.  I guess most people do not believe he will hold onto the job long term.

Not directed towards you obviously, but that's just stupid.  Even if he gets traded, people are passing up on plenty of saves.  I never really understand why so many people ignore the short term.

5 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Swarzak entering in the 7th inning of a 5-2 game.

I sense a CBC which NEVER works out.

2 minutes ago, B&F said:

I sense a CBC which NEVER works out.

Well it looks like it’ll be Luke again, which is the opposite of a CBC.

28 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Well it looks like it’ll be Luke again, which is the opposite of a CBC.

I wonder how many he has to blow before he loses his role.  Or maybe it's because of one he's blown.  Hmmm....

Posted (edited)

Doolittle with a 4 run save?  Anybody see this game/situation?  Edit:  CBS was only showing the score to the first game.

Edited by Tugginroot

Posted (edited)

I think Luke Jackson may have gotten himself back to DEFCON 2. Not a save because of runs in the bottom of the 8th. But he pitched a perfect ninth behind Minter, who walked a guy with no Ks, and Swarzak, who gave up a hit with no Ks. 

Actually, I guess he’s still probably DEFCON 1. He really can’t blow another save yet. 

Edited by Fiveohnine
still on the hot seat

21 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

I think Luke Jackson may have gotten himself back to DEFCON 2. Not a save because of runs in the bottom of the 8th. But he pitched a perfect ninth behind Minter, who walked a guy with no Ks, and Swarzak, who gave up a hit with no Ks. 

Actually, I guess he’s still probably DEFCON 1. He really can’t blow another save yet. 

Agreed, but I’m still holding Swarzak.  The Braves manager is very hard-headed, which is refreshing.  That means Swarzak might have a fairly long leash if he lands the gig.

32 minutes ago, Eddie Mush said:

Barnes pitching the 8th of a 9-4 lead

Boston's closing committee is literally just a dartboard, which almost makes it pointless unless you just want the stats guys like Barnes will give you.

Situations like this are quickly ruining closers in general for fantasy baseball.  I was thinking earlier today that I only have one closer left after I made a trade, thinking at the time that I could just add another one or two along the way, but every attempt to do so results in them not getting any save opportunities for various reasons.  This will be the first season I will have failed to be able to pick up more than one closer over the course of the season if things don't change (I know there are still plenty of games left).  We'll see what happens around the trade deadline I suppose.

50 minutes ago, Eddie Mush said:

Barnes pitching the 8th of a 9-4 lead

He was warming up when it was still 6-4.  Also he had some of the fewest pitches from a bullpen arm during last night's 17 inning game.