tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

Is there any chance Oberg keeps the closer's role once Davis returns, or is Oberg safe to drop if I need the roster spot with Davis's return imminent?

• Like 1

Hey guys, long time follower.. new poster.

Love the discussion regarding the Cardinals situation. Looking for some clarity although i know none of us have that just yet..

I have been waiting for Hicks to falter for a little while now. A lot of value in Grant.. altho as most.. i am not sure he will get the spot even though he has the numbers to do it.

We seem to be entering this 'fireman' era.. and Hicks may fit that profile.. It may infact be Cmarts bullpen at this point.. and considering he has SP eligibility (so does Grant) he can be super valuable.

Which way would people go if both Grant and CMart are available? would you roster both in hopes the situation shakes out in the near future?

4 minutes ago, jonninho said:

Hey guys, long time follower.. new poster.

Love the discussion regarding the Cardinals situation. Looking for some clarity although i know none of us have that just yet..

I have been waiting for Hicks to falter for a little while now. A lot of value in Grant.. altho as most.. i am not sure he will get the spot even though he has the numbers to do it.

We seem to be entering this 'fireman' era.. and Hicks may fit that profile.. It may infact be Cmarts bullpen at this point.. and considering he has SP eligibility (so does Grant) he can be super valuable.

Which way would people go if both Grant and CMart are available? would you roster both in hopes the situation shakes out in the near future?

Gant?

18 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Is there any chance Oberg keeps the closer's role once Davis returns, or is Oberg safe to drop if I need the roster spot with Davis's return imminent?

No, yes

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Parker was used as fireman that time in the 8th. He maybe could’ve finished it but not sure if it was a matchup thing or usage thing.

They've also won games by wide margins too. A couple 9th inning 4 run lead appearances I think too. Just unlucky imo. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

I’d put him at 70% closer share. 

My my concern is they go after a true closer in a trade. 

They should sign kimbrel if his side sessions have looked good. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'd guess CMart.  They seem to like to use Gant in the fireman role at times, coming in early sometimes (like on Saturday when he came in for the 6th).

Putting in a claim for CMart, so it will probably end up being Gant even though what I said is the logical answer.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Random Dude said:

I think it's time for a quick update post... Lots of questions on situations that are pretty clear IMO. 

ATL... Jackson is entrenched in the role for now. 

BOS... Full on committee. 

KC... Looks like Kennedy's to lose right now. 

LAA... Robles is the closer. It will take multiple BS to lose it. Buttrey has gotten the opps when Robles is unavailable but Allen puts a wrinkle in things. 

MIN... It's been a committee all year. 

SEA... Bass with a good 4-out close a few days ago. Potential to run with it but Strickland return is coming. He will likely need both enough opportunities before the return and success to hold it. Strickland probably the safest speculative bet on this. 

TB... Full on committee

TEX... Kelley will have to lose it. Leclerc has given them sufficient reason to earn the role back if they planned on going back to him once he got "right". Personally, I don't trust Kelley but he's getting the job done. IMO, there's nothing wrong with rostering Leclerc but Kelley will need to open the door for him. 

In LA I wouldn't worry 

16 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

I owned Vazquez and definitely recalled when he was not the main guy for a very short stretch.  He was basically given a "breather" type of thing and we were all on here speculating as to who was going to be the next guy to get the save opportunities.  However, he quickly reestablished himself and was back in his role and has been a lockdown closer ever since.  So yes I do think he regained the role that he essentially lost temporarily.    In 2016 Giles was indeed removed the closers role and eventually got the gig back by the end of the summer.   He was really awful early  and Luke Gregerson closed a number of games for them then Giles (who was brought there to close) was given chance and blew up.  Will Harris took over for awhile before bottoming out with Giles finally returning to the role.  The next year Giles was pretty bad as well and think he lost a full grip on the role then too.  I am not going to look that one up though but suffice it to say Giles has been in and out of that role his whole time in Houston.

I am guessing over time there were a few more but overall I would agree that most closers do not get it back for the same team, especially in the same year.   
In this particular case I could see a scenario where Leclerc doesn't get it back this year either but still be considered their future closer.   That's just due to his age, stuff and contract combined with Kelley's age and previous longtime view of where he belonged in a bullpen (always had good numbers but never considered the closer guy).   However, if Kelley works out and Leclerc keeps dominating Texas may start seeing him in a fireman role a la Buttrey this year,  and Hader and Andrew Miller in previous years.   That actually makes a lot of sense to me.     

Agree on Kelley LeClerc.  Kelley will have to implode. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, street sharks said:

Hicks might have needed another day off. Pitched three days ago (don't know # of pitches) and then 35 over two innings two days ago. 

100% this. 

Blake Parker has not been getting the save opportunities.

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

100% this. 

Hicks pitched. 16 pitches and got the hold but gave up a run?

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

I'd guess CMart.  They seem to like to use Gant in the fireman role at times, coming in early sometimes (like on Saturday when he came in for the 6th).

My thought exactly.

4 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

Wondering the same thing. Davis was solid before getting hurt, so I imagine they would rather have him close and use Oberg in setup. 

3 hours ago, codog24 said:

Hicks pitched. 16 pitches and got the hold but gave up a run?

That's the catch.   He pitched but was completely ineffective so the manager had to come get him before he blew the game. 

5 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Putting in a claim for CMart, so it will probably end up being Gant even though what I said is the logical answer.

Andrew Miller still exists.

6 hours ago, mlb2019 said:

Blake Parker has not been getting the save opportunities.

I was just in here earlier backing up a claim of this bullpen being a committee with Parker getting the bulk of the saves but now it may seem that Rogers is the preferred 9th inning guy. 

5 hours ago, MoonyGray said:

Andrew Miller is contractually obligated to fulfill the Andrew Miller role since it was named after him.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, MoonyGray said:

Hasnt Miller been pretty bad this year?

8 hours ago, MoonyGray said:

3.98 ERA, 1.43 WHIP

2018- 4.24 ERA, 1.38 WHIP

Are you under the impression Andrew Miller is still good?

• Like 1

Miller had a rough start, but he’s been pretty good the last month or so.  Not the miller of old, but good enough 

question regarding a few situations;

Chicago Cubs:

Cishek seems like the closer at the moment. Strop will be back in the next day (maybe even today). Does Strop become the automatic guy to own? 

What is the situation with Morrow? Any news on him and when he comes back is he the guy to own? maybe a stash is warranted, although i find it hard to stash a guy so injury prone. Likely to end up back on the IL.

Los Angeles Angels:

Cody Allen is sitting on the waivers, probably rightfully so. That being said, No one really appears to have confidence in Robles (again, understandably so) while Allen has looked pretty good since coming back off the IL. At what point does Allen get the shot to close again? i gotta imagine unlike Leclerc, Allen is going to be given the shot.

Texas Rangers:

Becoming more and more likely Leclerc does not get that closing role back any time soon. He has been solid since being recalled, and they may just continue to keep it that way. Why change it if the club is winning?

Brewers:

Jeffress still has not been given a chance to close. This situation is dead to me. Not even keeping hope for Jeffress at this point.

Mariners:

Strickland should be back shortly. While i believe he will likely get the closer role back immediately, i also view him as trade bait if he performs well. The M's have collapsed after their hot start and im sure hey will unload some pieces if they can get a good return back.

Braves:

When the hell are they going to give Toussaint the chance to close? what are they waiting for? He has solid stuff. The numbers also reflect that. I am genuinely confused with the way the Braves are using Toussaint. Any insight to a potential role closing?

• Like 1

Cards:

Still waiting on this situation to resolve. It is a valid arguement that Hicks likely needed another day off before re-entering the closer role prior to getting pulled and having Gant finish it off. I still think if that role is given to someone else, it would be C.Mart, but again, gotta wait for more clarity before making moves. 

Agree we don't really know where the Cards situation is.  If I were rating probability of most saves ROS I'd personally score it:  Hicks 50%, CMart 40%, others 10%.  I have always thought CMart closing is likely part of the team's calculus in having him in the bullpen---and of course, I could be proven wrong.

12 minutes ago, jonninho said:

question regarding a few situations;

Chicago Cubs:

Cishek seems like the closer at the moment. Strop will be back in the next day (maybe even today). Does Strop become the automatic guy to own? 

What is the situation with Morrow? Any news on him and when he comes back is he the guy to own? maybe a stash is warranted, although i find it hard to stash a guy so injury prone. Likely to end up back on the IL.

Los Angeles Angels:

Cody Allen is sitting on the waivers, probably rightfully so. That being said, No one really appears to have confidence in Robles (again, understandably so) while Allen has looked pretty good since coming back off the IL. At what point does Allen get the shot to close again? i gotta imagine unlike Leclerc, Allen is going to be given the shot.

Texas Rangers:

Becoming more and more likely Leclerc does not get that closing role back any time soon. He has been solid since being recalled, and they may just continue to keep it that way. Why change it if the club is winning?

Brewers:

Jeffress still has not been given a chance to close. This situation is dead to me. Not even keeping hope for Jeffress at this point.

Mariners:

Strickland should be back shortly. While i believe he will likely get the closer role back immediately, i also view him as trade bait if he performs well. The M's have collapsed after their hot start and im sure hey will unload some pieces if they can get a good return back.

Braves:

When the hell are they going to give Toussaint the chance to close? what are they waiting for? He has solid stuff. The numbers also reflect that. I am genuinely confused with the way the Braves are using Toussaint. Any insight to a potential role closing?

jackson has put up solid numbers since taking over closing duties..he is a high K, low walk guy on top of that....WHY would they need toussaint to close?

• Like 4

I’m I the only one that thinks Gant would be the better fantasy closer over C-Mart if he got the job from Hicks. Gant looks like he has the better stuff currently just filthy when I watched him the other day .

20 minutes ago, Dontrelle Willis said:

I’m I the only one that thinks Gant would be the better fantasy closer over C-Mart if he got the job from Hicks. Gant looks like he has the better stuff currently just filthy when I watched him the other day .

i dont think anybody would disagree with you, which is exactly why we believe he will not be closing. He is to valuable to the Cards in other situations to hold him off to a 9th inning that may never come for him. Use Gant when needed the most. 

• Thanks 1