tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

Recommended Posts

Wow, I didn't realize how bad Davis's numbers were. I smell another DL stint coming.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Minnesota_Jack said:

Yeah might want to check and see if Oberg is available in your league. 

 

In any competitive league that values saves, he won’t be

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

 

In any competitive league that values saves, he won’t be

He was in my league until yesterday (because I picked him up).

Davis clearly can't pitch in Coors, as he was awful there even last season, but he's never been this bad to the point where he can't even pitch on the road because he has no idea where it's going.  He's only given up 1 run in 9.1 innings on the road (via a HR), but with 8 walks.  Obviously his splits at home are epically worse this season as well since he puts on baserunner after baserunner before somehow getting out of it or being pulled.

He needs to be put on the IL for an extended period.  He clearly wasn't on there long enough the first time, and this has nothing to do with me owning Oberg.  Something is clearly wrong, whether it's an injury or whatever it is.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

why didnt taylor rodgers get the save today?

 

Are you asking why he wasn't credited with a save, or why he wasn't used in a save situation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the manager agree that he should be the fill-in closer?  We'll see...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigboyish said:

 

There are many teams in which the "biggest asset in the bullpen" isn't the closer. Seems like a lot of speculation with this? One would think that CMart, with his closing experience and their reluctance to make him a starter would slide into the role. Gant has been doing well in the fireman role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it believed that Hicks will end up on the IL? Or is he just going to rest a few days? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luke Jackson looked shaky again. Gets the save, but 2 hits and a walk, 1 ER. Great numbers, but has really struggled in save situations it seems. Gotta wonder if Swarzak slides in soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick Anderson with the save for the Marlins today. Probably nothing to see for now with Romo likely getting a rest with a heavy workload this week, But the usage, with him getting the ninth and Guerrero the eighth (both gave up runs), could be a clue about what they do if/when Romo is dealt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Is it believed that Hicks will end up on the IL? Or is he just going to rest a few days? 

Right now they're hoping he'll be back in a few days. But definitely a situation to keep an eye on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

General manager John Mozeliak said Sunday on MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM that Gant is likely to fill in at closer while Jordan Hicks nurses a triceps injury.

 

 

If that helps shed any new info.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Topgun said:

Yates, yikes.🤔

 

He is human after all..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, thefamily79 said:

o-NO-berg!

Well, there goes his chance to take over the role.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, bigboyish said:

Well, there goes his chance to take over the role.

 

Who knows..it wasn’t a save situation

his stats are still better than wades on the year

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

He was in my league until yesterday (because I picked him up).

Davis clearly can't pitch in Coors, as he was awful there even last season, but he's never been this bad to the point where he can't even pitch on the road because he has no idea where it's going.  He's only given up 1 run in 9.1 innings on the road (via a HR), but with 8 walks.  Obviously his splits at home are epically worse this season as well since he puts on baserunner after baserunner before somehow getting out of it or being pulled.

He needs to be put on the IL for an extended period.  He clearly wasn't on there long enough the first time, and this has nothing to do with me owning Oberg.  Something is clearly wrong, whether it's an injury or whatever it is.

 

You think Oberg will avoid getting blown up from time to time at Coors? That’s kind of the reason they went out at got Davis in the first place.. a long history of closer failure.  Oberg is not a safe bet to replace Davis and succeed.  But if you need saves desperately... you need saves.  It is what it is.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

 

You think Oberg will avoid getting blown up from time to time at Coors? That’s kind of the reason they went out at got Davis in the first place.. a long history of closer failure.  Oberg is not a safe bet to replace Davis and succeed.  But if you need saves desperately... you need saves.  It is what it is.

Oberg’s H/R splits are pretty close (career over 100 IP for both, as well as this season). 

He also has a higher career GB% (~55%) than Davis (39.9%). So yeah, I like his chances to succeed more than Davis’.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Oberg’s H/R splits are pretty close (career over 100 IP for both, as well as this season). 

He also has a higher career GB% (~55%) than Davis (39.9%). So yeah, I like his chances to succeed more than Davis’.

 

That's not saying much.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gant blown up.  

Haven't see him much and wasn't paying full attention tonight.  Every pitch I saw him throw was a fastball.  Does he have an effective off speed pitch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, B&F said:

Gant blown up.  

Haven't see him much and wasn't paying full attention tonight.  Every pitch I saw him throw was a fastball.  Does he have an effective off speed pitch?

Just about to say the same. I haven't seen much other than a SC highlight kinda thing but his #'s were excellent, tonight aside. I did see every pitch tonight and he throws hard but straight, got way too much plate w/ 2 strikes is what I noticed. Announcers said 31 pitches I believe, and would probably be unavailable for the next day or two. Anyway, seems like a prime opportunity for Martinez to even the odds providing Cards can actually score some runs and win a game or two. Haven't seen how Gant is used primarily, but 7 wins is legit and more indicative of being deployed in tight games when needed, aka the "fireman" role others have eluded to. Overall, I wasn't impressed honestly, but maybe just an off night, or no moxie given the 6-0 score when he entered the game? I dunno...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

Nick Anderson with the save for the Marlins today. Probably nothing to see for now with Romo likely getting a rest with a heavy workload this week, But the usage, with him getting the ninth and Guerrero the eighth (both gave up runs), could be a clue about what they do if/when Romo is dealt.

 

Really? You think someone is going to trade for Romo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.