tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

I'd go for Gant. He had one blowup last night, but has otherwise been the team's best reliever.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, michaelai3 said:

Really? You think someone is going to trade for Romo?

If you have seen the Boston bullpen all year you would know the answer is yes.  Not saying the Sox would pick him up; just that Romo is better than 19/20ths of them ... and yes there has been about that many white guys with brown beards (seems to be a requirement look for their lousy pen) rotating in and out and up and down all year long for them.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

If you have seen the Boston bullpen all year you would know the answer is yes.  No saying the Sox would pick him up; just that Romo is better than 19/20ths of them ... and yes there has been about that many white guys with brown beards (seems to be a requirement look for their lousy pen) rotating in and out and up and down all year long for them.

Plus Romo has experience in big games...

• Like 1

Also that jerk in real life, Steven Wright, has served his 80 day suspension and has been activated and put in the pen for Boston today.  Remember not to speculate too much on him moving into the closer role because he is a knuckleballer which is a 9th inning nightmare blow-up waiting to happen.  Also he wasn't very good last few years anyway.

Man that sucks for Hicks, Cmart is available for me but not Gant who seems to be who will take over.

On 6/22/2019 at 8:49 PM, CraftyRighty said:

This Hicks thing is gonna be sneaky bad

You called it.  The Cardinals with their “Don’t worry!  He’ll rest up for a week and be just fine!” type comments only strengthens the force of the gut punch when news like this comes out.  Just shut up.  Keep it ominous.

27 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

The GM in STL  is saying Gants 

The GM and the Team President both said it, but it's still ultimately up to the manager, and the comments were made before they knew Hicks would be out for the season.  Would they prefer to keep Gant in his fireman role now that he'd have to be the closer all season?  Who knows, but until Gant actually goes out there and gets the ball in the 9th, I'm not going to be cutting Martinez yet.  If he ends up getting the chance to run away with it, then so be it I guess.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tonywow said:

Man that sucks for Hicks, Cmart is available for me but not Gant who seems to be who will take over.

My money is on CMart

I literally just traded for Gant (I know, CSB...), so I'm a little biased in my thinking it will be Gant. But he was to serve as the interim while Hicks was out, so I think he is first in the pecking order.

Shildt isn't afraid to mix and match and I wouldn't be shocked to see CMart or even Andrew Miller get chances. It's worth picking up any of the 3 if you can, IMO, but Gant should have a leg up.

"Gant should fill the closer role in St. Louis for the foreseeable future after Jordan Hicks was diagnosed with a torn UCL, Jim Bowden of The Athletic reports."

2 minutes ago, nlm said:

"Gant should fill the closer role in St. Louis for the foreseeable future after Jordan Hicks was diagnosed with a torn UCL, Jim Bowden of The Athletic reports."

Haha that settles it; Bowden is a moron.  Seriously though, this is one of those situations where I think the personalities of the players is going to be instrumental.  As someone who missed out on Gant, I'm completely convinced that they'll put CMart at closer just to shut him up since they're  not gonna let him start

I'm surprised Miller hasn't been discussed more considering he has been a good closer in the past.  Was considering dropping Miller lately but with this news I'm holding now until I see how this all shakes out.  Maybe Gant will be a lights out closer but some people move to closer and struggle so there's no guarantees here.  Miller proved in the past he can handle the role so I think if he gets a chance he can run with it.

Posted (edited)

Gant just seems like the general consensus. Don't shoot the messenger. But every sign so far points towards Gant getting first licks.

Closermonkey is also very unreliable. It isn't 100% correct by any means.

Edited by nlm

17 minutes ago, nlm said:

Gant just seems like the general consensus. Don't shoot the messenger. But every sign so far points towards Gant getting first licks.

Closermonkey is also very unreliable. It isn't 100% correct by any means.

...But they do run a website dedicated to closers or all things. They get some extra points for dedication. 

2 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

...But they do run a website dedicated to closers or all things. They get some extra points for dedication. 

I use closermonkey, but they're slow to update sometimes, and also not 100% all of the time.

I think Gant, CMart, Miller are the most likely candidates, in that order. CMart and Gant very well may share the role. It could be a committee. Who knows? I just know what the GM said about Gant, and all the news outlets are saying Gant.

I think it's Gant's to lose from this point on. There's no reason to not believe the organization when they say Gant's the guy. A few blown saves and CMart will get his shot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigboyish said:

I think it's Gant's to lose from this point on. There's no reason to not believe the organization when they say Gant's the guy. A few blown saves and CMart will get his shot.

Pretty much my thinking. His rough outing last night leaves a little room for thought, but they simply left him out there and he wore himself out. A day off will do him and the entire team well.

Also, for what it's worth, didn't Shildt say it would be Gant in Hicks' absence in Sunday?

13 minutes ago, nlm said:

Pretty much my thinking. His rough outing last night leaves a little room for thought, but they simply left him out there and he wore himself out. A day off will do him and the entire team well.

Also, for what it's worth, didn't Shildt say it would be Gant in Hicks' absence in Sunday?

I know it was the Team President to say it first, and then now the GM.  I don't recall ever seeing anything from the manager, unless I missed it.

Posted (edited)

I honestly don't think it will be Gant long-term for the following reasons

-No closing experience

-He is a 8k/9 RP...not at all ideal for your closer

- Doesn't have a strong history of being a good pitcher

I think it's possible he gets the 1st crack, but the likelihood of a 8k/9 RP that came out of nowhere sticking as the closer? Low. This isn't some sick RP who has the swing & miss stuff and has been dominant, this is a "this guy looks solid" RP who has no experience in the clutch. Nights like yesterday could be more common.

Edited by terminator10

yikeeeeesssssss down goes Hicks.

I was too optimistic at this triceps tendinitis.

welp, in the market for an arm in a league where the third guy up is often owned :(

2 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

-No closing experience

I think it's possible he gets the 1st crack, but the likelihood of a 8k/9 RP that came out of nowhere sticking as the closer? Low. This isn't some sick RP who has the swing & miss stuff and has been dominant, this is a "this guy looks solid" RP who has no experience in the clutch. Nights like yesterday could be more common.

what are the chances they trade for someone? the cardinals are in a very tight NL central. it's really anyone's division right now. but that situation could also drive them to be conservative at the deadline

7 minutes ago, tuesdays said:

yikeeeeesssssss down goes Hicks.

I was too optimistic at this triceps tendinitis.

welp, in the market for an arm in a league where the third guy up is often owned :(

We're in similar leagues. Our league is so deep, 19 out of 20 times the guy I go looking for is long gone. But I prefer it that way- top competition is the way to go.

8 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

-No closing experience

I don't think your points are that relevant, or in the case of the last one--accurate.

His stuff is quite good and has ticked way up the more he got away from starting. Throws a 96-98 MPH bowling bowl sinker that generates more early count ground-outs. He also throws 2-3 different FAs and misses a lot of bats with his CU. Has a solid CH and will spin up a great shaped slower CU too. He's allowed 24 hits in his 41+ IP this year. I get that the 9th can be a different animal for some, but he can absolutely take this job and run away with it.

• Thanks 1

they might want to keep John Gant for multiple innings pitching. they wont trade for anyone. they know they are not making playoffs.

Just now, ST. STEVEN said:

I don't think your points are that relevant, or in the case of the last one--accurate.

His stuff is quite good and has ticked way up the more he got away from starting. Throws a 96-98 MPH bowling bowl sinker that generates more early count ground-outs. He also throws 2-3 different FAs and misses a lot of bats with his CU. Has a solid CH and will spin up a great shaped slower CU too. He's allowed 24 hits in his 41+ IP this year. I get that the 9th can be a different animal for some, but he can absolutely take this job and run away with it.

I'm not saying he can or cannot run away with the job. I'm saying its unlikely. I usually bet against theguy who is getting less than 9k/9 with no closing experience. And its served me well. Look around the league and how many guys do you see closing with less than 9k/9 for a competitive team. I've seen many come try and go. Gant could be a lucky one, but I wouldn't bet on him.