tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

Roenis Elías has been flawless for the past 2 weeks, still owned in under half of Yahoo leagues

6 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

I'm not saying he can or cannot run away with the job. I'm saying its unlikely. I usually bet against theguy who is getting less than 9k/9 with no closing experience. And its served me well. Look around the league and how many guys do you see closing with less than 9k/9 for a competitive team. I've seen many come try and go. Gant could be a lucky one, but I wouldn't bet on him.

Well he may not even get the opportunity from the sounds of other reports...I am simply saying his K rate--which is damn near your 9/ mark-- is more of a factor of guys pounding the sinker into the ground before he can get deep into a count. He has been able to work 2-3 inning stints because he so often gets quick/clean fast innings in under 10 pitches. His stuff/charts show a guy that can mow guys down when that situation arises.

1 hour ago, nlm said:

I use closermonkey, but they're slow to update sometimes, and also not 100% all of the time.

I think Gant, CMart, Miller are the most likely candidates, in that order. CMart and Gant very well may share the role. It could be a committee. Who knows? I just know what the GM said about Gant, and all the news outlets are saying Gant.

Gant

CMart

Miller

what about Gallegos?  he's got some sweet looking numbers

2.60 ERA with 0.81 WHIP to go along with 49 Ks and 6 BBs in 34 iP

Posted (edited)

So now Rick Hummel is trying to make things confusing I guess.  Stating no source for him saying Martinez is expected to close.  Obviously I'm all for that rather than Gant since I picked up CMart, but at least state a source or something instead of just basically saying it's his gut guess.

Edited by KilloWertz

14 minutes ago, jb_power said:

Gant

CMart

Miller

what about Gallegos?  he's got some sweet looking numbers

2.60 ERA with 0.81 WHIP to go along with 49 Ks and 6 BBs in 34 iP

he most definitely does. I actually meant to mention him as a dark horse, but I don't know I they'd thrust him into that role.

Brebbia has pitched well, too.

1 hour ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Davis with the clean save. Bought himself some leash with that one. 

If he couldn't do the job against the Giants in San Fran well...

1 minute ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

as a jansen owner, not liking this rumor at all

I don't think Smith would supplant Jansen to be honest

I know SF has Posey and Bart waiting in the wings but a Will Smith for Will Smith swap would be fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I don't think your points are that relevant, or in the case of the last one--accurate.

His stuff is quite good and has ticked way up the more he got away from starting. Throws a 96-98 MPH bowling bowl sinker that generates more early count ground-outs. He also throws 2-3 different FAs and misses a lot of bats with his CU. Has a solid CH and will spin up a great shaped slower CU too. He's allowed 24 hits in his 41+ IP this year. I get that the 9th can be a different animal for some, but he can absolutely take this job and run away with it.

Thank you I believe in Gant especially if you have seen him pitch this year his stuff is better than Martinez.Hes become a different pitcher this year as a reliever.

5 minutes ago, street sharks said:

I don't think Smith would supplant Jansen to be honest

no way does he in full...i am worried about the save opps he will take away if they play the matchup game in the 9th

49 minutes ago, street sharks said:

spacer.png

which Will Smith? LA and SF both have one. ;) 

1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

no way does he in full...i am worried about the save opps he will take away if they play the matchup game in the 9th

that's not going to happen, even in the year they had Watson, Jansen and Morrow dealing they didn't play games in the 9th it was Jansen all day every day.  Smith would simply be this year's version of Watson and Morrow, the steady hand that gets the ball to Jansen in the 9th, besides that was one of the supposed reasons they weren't in on Kimbrel

36 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

which Will Smith? LA and SF both have one. ;) 

Perhaps Will Smith for Will Smith?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oswald737 said:

Posey needs to be replaced, makes sense to me! :D

11 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

Anything can happen in the Wild Wild NL West.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Looking like Cmart in St Louis according to latest report

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah, that GM quote in context wasn't "Gant to close" it was more like "oh gant will absolutely help us step in now that we are down a man." Beat writers reporting manager prefers CMart

(2 hrs ago) Martinez is expected to take over "most of the closer duties" for the Cardinals, Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.

President of baseball operations John Mozeliak was asked Sunday on MLB Network Radio if John Gant would step into the closer role in place of Jordan Hicks (elbow). "Oh I would think so, yeah," Mozeliak said. "He's finished games for us in the past and we have a lot of confidence in him." A fair number of people interpreted that as Gant being named the replacement closer, but not so fast. It's manager Mike Shildt's call, and it seems Shildt prefers Martinez, who had a successful run as the team's closer last September (5-for-5 in saves). Gant has had a good season but was rocked for four runs over one-third of an inning in his most recent appearance.

TLDR, we should own both, but slight edge to cmart

Edited by cyberer
  • Thanks 1

No sooner do I write this, but

• Carlos Martinez will serve as the Cardinals' closer with Jordan Hicks out, GM John Mozeliak confirmed.

That was the assumption, but it's nice to have confirmation. The Cardinals could always trade for a ninth-inning option later, but Martinez should be decent enough in the role.

Jun 25, 2019, 5:21 PM ET
  •  
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Well, ok, they finally gave more information even though what Rick Hummel actually put out yesterday included nothing from the manager.  If this is true, it's much better than yesterday's report this is based on that actually gave no source or anything to actually give Rick Hummel's report any credibility.

Edit: And that's a complete 180 from the GM.  I guess he talked with the manager and they reached this conclusion.  Works for me since I have Martinez and not Gant. In the end, I doubt they end up needing to trade for another option as I can see CMart running away with it.  He'll probably actually concentrate, unlike what he would do as a starter.  I know this ultimately isn't what he wanted to do, but he has to accept it. 

Edited by KilloWertz

43 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

(Friday against the Rangers)

Are we thinking Tampa will still be a committee between Pagan/Alvarado even with Castillo on the IL?