tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

It was a bad day for Chapman today.  I hate saves at a cost of metrics and the lowly Bluebirds took him to flavortown tonight.

1 hour ago, KCTD25 said:

Are we thinking Tampa will still be a committee between Pagan/Alvarado even with Castillo on the IL? 

I would imagine so.  It seems to be their way with the role.  I hope not cuz I picked Alvarado up.

2 hours ago, KCTD25 said:

Are we thinking Tampa will still be a committee between Pagan/Alvarado even with Castillo on the IL? 

Alvarez was really pretty bad for a long while before he left.  He'll be back in the mix of things but he better start finding the plate or not much will change for him...

17 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Alvarez was really pretty bad for a long while before he left.  He'll be back in the mix of things but he better start finding the plate or not much will change for him...

Alvarado I meant...

Posted (edited)

Holy runs Brad Hand. Oof. At least I don't have to worry about my ratios this week. He gets a pass since he's been so good so far 

Edited by TC84

Red sox finally realize Workman is their best guy right now? I'd love for him to take over and run away with the job

8 hours ago, AngryBeavers said:

Hand taken to pound town

Say that again, but slowly.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WahooManiac said:

Red sox finally realize Workman is their best guy right now? I'd love for him to take over and run away with the job

Full blown committee. I’ve been waiting for someone in that pen to run away with it but seems like it’s roulette with who’s gonna get a save each night 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Full blown committee. I’ve been waiting for someone in that pen to run away with it but seems like it’s roulette with who’s gonna get a save each night 

I agree. I don’t think anyone that is currently on the team will run with the job. Workman seems to have the best stuff right now but they’re winning games with the bullpen being a full blown committee. I don’t see that changing unless they trade for a closer. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

Who will close in San Fran when the fresh prince is traded?  

Was just coming in here to ask the same thing?  Guessing it’s Watson but could also be Dyson?  Also possible those guys get traded as well?

24 minutes ago, herschel said:

Was just coming in here to ask the same thing?  Guessing it’s Watson but could also be Dyson?  Also possible those guys get traded as well?

I believe Watson likely to be dealt too...if i had to speculate, I would put my money on Dyson.

No inside knowledge...just reading the tea leaves.

33 minutes ago, TheJuggernautBTCH said:

I believe Watson likely to be dealt too...if i had to speculate, I would put my money on Dyson.

No inside knowledge...just reading the tea leaves.

Looks like will smith will be traded by himself.   If Watson was not traded would it still be dyson? 

Complete gut feeling but with the Rays scuffling hence limited save opps recently so no real buzz or updates, Feel Like pagan may emerge as a second half saves guy, i just dont like how Alvarado walks so many guys and was very inconsistent in his own right, may still be a platoon but if Pagan locks it down like his numbers suggest he can could become a semi full time ish situation, i also think Castillo is done as part of the committee so long as as pagan proves capable, dude was rough and the numbers pointed to regression anyway

at least thats what i think could happen, my 2 cents as i contemplate adding Pagan in my league 

• Like 1

Remember Alvarado was away a month because of family matters.  I have no idea what they were but if it was anything that takes that long, especially a serious illness, it is going to cause any human being to lose focus on a mere game by comparison.  So whatever his stats were leading up to that leave of absence I just throw away in the trash.  Hopefully things are better for him personally now that he is back and he can get back in form and focus on baseball again. 

• Like 1

who would close in Pittsburgh if FV is traded? Crick?

13 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

who would close in Pittsburgh if FV is traded? Crick?

Probably Crick, but I don't see Pitt moving Vazquez.  He's awesome, affordable, and under control for a long time.  The cost to acquire would be painful.

• Like 1

Really hopes Will Smith ends up in Minny. Prob one of the few spots he’d be used as a traditional closer 

3 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Really hopes Will Smith ends up in Minny. Prob one of the few spots he’d be used as a traditional closer 

I disagree. Actually seems more teams than usual who are competing could use a closer. He'd close for Rays, Red Sox, Twins,  Braves, Phillies if dealt IMO. Just want him to stay away from the Dodgers and maybe 1-2 others with a set closer. 

• Like 1

This time in the merry-go-round 9th for the Red Sox Barnes is in with a one run lead to try for the save.  Gives up a lead-off single but Christian Vasquez saves him gunning down the runner trying to steal.  Second batter promptly gets a hit.  Real battle with Abreu next fouling off pitch after pitch.  Then Abreu takes him deep as Barnes blows up.  Barnes just looks tired these days.

8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

This time in the merry-go-round 9th for the Red Sox Barnes is in with a one run lead to try for the save.  Gives up a lead-off single but Christian Vasquez saves him gunning down the runner trying to steal.  Second batter promptly gets a hit.  Real battle with Abreu next fouling off pitch after pitch.  Then Abreu takes him deep as Barnes blows up.  Barnes just looks tired these days.

Alex Speier (local reporter) confirmed that observation earlier in the broadcast.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

Looks like will smith will be traded by himself.   If Watson was not traded would it still be dyson? 

I can’t imagine a team making a play for Smith not trying to land both Smith and Watson. I really see them moving as a pair.