tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Jackson had been used in 3 of the previous 4 games.  He’s likely still the guy, but I’ll be watching this situation closely.  If Minter is right, the Braves may have an in-house solution.

Step in the right direction for Minter, but this is defiantly a product of the recent usage of others. As you said, 3 of 4 for Jackson, also 4 of 5 for Swarzak. He’s still firmly entrenched outside of top 2 for now. 

Edited by Junkie Cosmonaut
  • Like 2

How about Liam Hendricks. Solid tonight. Was able to work around an Ozuna double for the save. I’m glad I was able to snag this guy as a Hicks owner. But how long do people see Hendricks in the role? Could Treinen miss a good chunk of time?

• Like 1

I’d say yes and predict he misses significant time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Raisel is a loser.  He’s been awful in recent save situations.  This loser team rarely gets saves so he has to pitch some time.  Comes in gets a** f*****.  He’s a garbage a** reliever.  Sadly he’ll probably get 10-12 more saves this season so we just have to sit here happily and take these punishments in stride.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Me neither.  While they may not make the playoffs, they are close enough to being a playoff team that they shouldn't be sellers (and I'm sure they know that).

This. Ditto.

5 hours ago, BETTAFISH said:

Wtf is going on in Cin and Iglesias. Can they trade him please?

Trade him over to. The Braves 😁

Which next in line RPs you guys putting on your radar for when their team trades their closer at the deadline ?

Also was curious what you guys think of Cmart closing and ROS. He hasn't been amazing since coming back. Though he did ok filling in as closer last year, albeit in September when there probably wasnt as much pressure on him. Gant I agree with some seems like he would of made more sense taking over for Hicks. Would seem to allow Cmart who STL said they weren't going to use him as a SP, at least be used as a great multi inning option. 

Roenis Elias has some stuff and seems to be the clear closer with SEA playing some decent ball I feel like he might be solid and semi available option...

Last nights 2 inning save:

FA- sat 95 MPH with some serious movements, both horizontally and extremely vertically, tossed 13--10 strikes with 8 swings and a whiff

SI- sat a tick below FA with same killer actions above except inverted, tossed 5--2 strikes with a swing and whiff

CU- has killer rotation and really changes his pace at 79 MPH, spun up 8--3 strikes with a hack and a whiff

CH- pitch really falls off the table immensely, threw 5--all 5 for strikes with 4 swings and 2 whiffs, perfectly compliments velo spectrum at 87 MPH

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

He’s been awful in recent save situations. 

First, I agree he sucks! Second, has he actually been awful in save situations? Or non-saves?

11 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

First, I agree he sucks! Second, has he actually been awful in save situations? Or non-saves?

Well I guess he came in 8th a few games and proceeded to run pitch count up to point of removal.  This whole situation is a cluster f***.

31 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Well I guess he came in 8th a few games and proceeded to run pitch count up to point of removal.  This whole situation is a cluster f***.

For sure, but I don't think it needs to be such a cluster. Frustrating. I guess I just haven't seen Iglesias falter THAT much in save opps. It's the non-save and multi-inning outings that are really bad. And no, @knuckleheads, I'm not making any excuses for Raisel Excusias! :D

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Raisel is a loser.  He’s been awful in recent save situations.  This loser team rarely gets saves so he has to pitch some time.  Comes in gets a** f*****.  He’s a garbage a** reliever.  Sadly he’ll probably get 10-12 more saves this season so we just have to sit here happily and take these punishments in stride.

He’s been s---y but I’m trying to buy low because the reds play in so many close games

i think they lead the league in 1-run games?

edit: they’re in the top 5

Edited by tuesdays

15 hours ago, BETTAFISH said:

Wtf is going on in Cin and Iglesias. Can they trade him please?

Well, looks to me like he was used in the highest leverage situation.  Tie game, 8th inning.  Trout, Ohtani, Upton due up.

Of course, it wasn't a clean 9th inning with a 3 run lead & perfect 76 degree weather, so Iglesias couldn't handle it.  Most certainly the managers fault though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Well, looks to me like he was used in the highest leverage situation.  Tie game, 8th inning.  Trout, Ohtani, Upton due up.

Of course, it wasn't a clean 9th inning with a 3 run lead & perfect 76 degree weather, so Iglesias couldn't handle it.  Most certainly the managers fault though.

Iglesias doesn't appear capable of handling the role the manager thinks he can.  Maybe the manager will learn before he gets fired.

• Thanks 2

I was curious to see exactly how much Iglesias' performance dropped based on usage and... wow (2019 splits):

image.png.adc9e843936ee353be5a88d7c8c86745.png

image.png.8d4ff38efe02e9d6342a2851404a5f51.png

The career splits aren't quite as stark, but still notable:

image.png.175a72bf90c72a37ae5198521c6748c0.png

image.png.203cf0c4eb8b1cdb3ad46babcc731087.png

Some relievers can maintain most or all of their performance in a "fireman" role.  Iglesias is not one of them.  David Bell seems to be the only person on the planet who doesn't understand this.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

I was curious to see exactly how much Iglesias' performance dropped based on usage and... wow (2019 splits):

image.png.adc9e843936ee353be5a88d7c8c86745.png

image.png.8d4ff38efe02e9d6342a2851404a5f51.png

The career splits aren't quite as stark, but still notable:

image.png.175a72bf90c72a37ae5198521c6748c0.png

image.png.203cf0c4eb8b1cdb3ad46babcc731087.png

Some relievers can maintain most or all of their performance in a "fireman" role.  Iglesias is not one of them.  David Bell seems to be the only person on the planet who doesn't understand this.

I beg to differ

• Haha 3

I seem to recall Iglesias coming up as a starter, and usually pitching more than one inning at a time.  He was effective doing that the last few years.

I know people are only talking about CMart or Gant being the possible closer to replace Hicks.  Why is no one talking about A. Miller.  Don't understand why he couldn't possibly become the closer.   I mean, is there a chance he could become closer?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Biig_Pressure21 said:

I know people are only talking about CMart or Gant being the possible closer to replace Hicks.  Why is no one talking about A. Miller.  Don't understand why he couldn't possibly become the closer.   I mean, is there a chance he could become closer?

It was stated by GM and coach that C-Mart will be closing a couple days back. 

That said, Closers are always in chaos and nobody knows how things will ever shake out honestly. 

Mo was the last Ron Popeil we may ever see! 

Edited by LarryChip10

4 minutes ago, Biig_Pressure21 said:

No the team has confirmed that CMart is the closer, and this was after first confirming that Hicks would take over, so Miller would be third in line at this point. It would take an injury and/or completely terrible pitching from what should be 2 great RP for Miller to take over the job. 

9 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Diaz BS - 2 run HR to Franco

Mind you, right after Neris s--- the bed...

Im considering punting saves going forward, as this seems to be a daily occurrence of the “top guys” needing laundry service! It’s maddening.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Biig_Pressure21 said:

He has pitched in 35 games w/26 IP. So he’s often being used as a LOOGY, and not as an elite RP. He has an ERA over 4 (5.22 FIP) just as he did last season. 

So I guess I’d ask what you like about him that you think he should leapfrog Gant and Martinez.  Because he used to get saves in 2015 & 2016?