tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

Carlos Martinez, since being installed as a reliever here to continue to ease the stress of his right shoulder, has appeared on back-to-back nights on three occasions and said he was ready to go for a third night in succession on Saturday. Shildt summoned him early Sunday morning in a rain-delayed game, and Martinez earned the save with a 1-2-3 ninth as the Cardinals beat the Cubs 7-4.

“I’m feeling pretty good,” Martinez said before the game. “If they put in me, it’s OK.”

Martinez, who still hopes to be a starter again before the season is over, said he was fine with the bullpen. “I like to play,” he said.

“If I got healthy and I’ve got power in my arm _ a strong arm _ I can play. I’m happy. I’m so happy because I’m always in the game.

“But, you know what? I want to be a starter.”

Asked when that might happen, Martinez smiled and said, “Soon.”

I personally dont think they will be tabbing Martinez as "the guy". He obviously wants to be a starter again this season and I'm pretty sure the coaching staff is on board with that. No sense in having him be a fill in closer until that day happens. Id be picking up Gant if I were speculating. 

Nothing wrong with posting that obviously, as you're just providing info, but what he says is pretty meaningless.  Yes, he wants to be a starter, but the team has already said it's not happening this season.  Obviously things can change if an injury pops up, but it is almost a certainty that it will not be happening soon like he thinks/hopes unless there is an injury.  I don't have a quote or anything, but I am pretty sure I remember reading on here that they don't plan on using him as a starter at all this season.

Gant is easily the best reliever they have right now, but managers like their fireman reliever, so it would be a shock if Gant ended up being the guy.  Not just because I picked up CMart, but I do believe he will be next in line if they remove Hicks from the role.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jonninho said:

question regarding a few situations;

Chicago Cubs:

Cishek seems like the closer at the moment. Strop will be back in the next day (maybe even today). Does Strop become the automatic guy to own? 

What is the situation with Morrow? Any news on him and when he comes back is he the guy to own? maybe a stash is warranted, although i find it hard to stash a guy so injury prone. Likely to end up back on the IL.

Los Angeles Angels:

Cody Allen is sitting on the waivers, probably rightfully so. That being said, No one really appears to have confidence in Robles (again, understandably so) while Allen has looked pretty good since coming back off the IL. At what point does Allen get the shot to close again? i gotta imagine unlike Leclerc, Allen is going to be given the shot.

Texas Rangers:

Becoming more and more likely Leclerc does not get that closing role back any time soon. He has been solid since being recalled, and they may just continue to keep it that way. Why change it if the club is winning?

Brewers:

Jeffress still has not been given a chance to close. This situation is dead to me. Not even keeping hope for Jeffress at this point.

Mariners:

Strickland should be back shortly. While i believe he will likely get the closer role back immediately, i also view him as trade bait if he performs well. The M's have collapsed after their hot start and im sure hey will unload some pieces if they can get a good return back.

Braves:

When the hell are they going to give Toussaint the chance to close? what are they waiting for? He has solid stuff. The numbers also reflect that. I am genuinely confused with the way the Braves are using Toussaint. Any insight to a potential role closing?

Not only has Luke Jackson been pretty good, Toussaint is valuable to the Braves as someone who can go multiple innings out of the pen. They're also not settling on making him a bullpen only arm either, so trying to entrench him in the closer role doesn't seem like a very good approach. On top of that, Touki's stuff is electric but he still walks too many guys - he's not a guy I'd be super confident coming in up one run in the 9th. Barring a trade for a closer (which I actually think is likely - and could see them going after either Will Smith or Shane Greene) it looks like it's Luke's job.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ranger danger said:

Not only has Luke Jackson been pretty good, Toussaint is valuable to the Braves as someone who can go multiple innings out of the pen. They're also not settling on making him a bullpen only arm either, so trying to entrench him in the closer role doesn't seem like a very good approach. On top of that, Touki's stuff is electric but he still walks too many guys - he's not a guy I'd be super confident coming in up one run in the 9th. Barring a trade for a closer (which I actually think is likely - and could see them going after either Will Smith or Shane Greene) it looks like it's Luke's job.

a couple of you guys have posted similar thoughts on Toussaint. Looking back at my original post, i would change my position on that. I guess the Braves are using Touki the same way the Cards are using Gant, and if i dont believe Gant will be the closer for that reason, neither would Touki.

Valid post.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, tekashi26ix said:

Remember when AJ Minter was the next Craig Kimbrel. That didn’t age well. 

WOW, someone actually compared minter with a guy who has 333 career saves and possible hall of famer?

Edited by ASHLANDARROWS1992
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Nothing wrong with posting that obviously, as you're just providing info, but what he says is pretty meaningless.  Yes, he wants to be a starter, but the team has already said it's not happening this season.  Obviously things can change if an injury pops up, but it is almost a certainty that it will not be happening soon like he thinks/hopes unless there is an injury.  I don't have a quote or anything, but I am pretty sure I remember reading on here that they don't plan on using him as a starter at all this season.

Gant is easily the best reliever they have right now, but managers like their fireman reliever, so it would be a shock if Gant ended up being the guy.  Not just because I picked up CMart, but I do believe he will be next in line if they remove Hicks from the role.

did the team really say thats not happening this year? you have a source? i would find it a little strange how i keep reading over and over how CMart plans to return to the rotation if upper management keeps telling him different. 

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie

The manager said it, but did caveat it with an “as of now.”

Any reason why the Cubs haven’t activated Strop yet?

How sure is everyone that Jimenez is going to get the gig when Greene is inevitably traded? I know it's been assumed he is the heir apparent for the last couple years but he has never really been effective for any consistent stretches as a major leaguer. Is it possible he could be skipped over for someone else? I have him stashed because I am desperate for saves but too scared to put him in my lineup since he is prone to meltdowns, so he is burning a valuable roster spot.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

How sure is everyone that Jimenez is going to get the gig when Greene is inevitably traded? I know it's been assumed he is the heir apparent for the last couple years but he has never really been effective for any consistent stretches as a major leaguer. Is it possible he could be skipped over for someone else? I have him stashed because I am desperate for saves but too scared to put him in my lineup since he is prone to meltdowns, so he is burning a valuable roster spot.

I don't see another viable option.  And last year he was given the shot when Greene was on the DL for about a week, plus he's the main 8th inning guy this year.  He's the only guy worth speculating on that I can tell.  However, I would agree I would be nervous too as he has been so inconsistent despite some good underlying ratios.

Edited by knuckleheads

Agree there is no other single option but Jimenez in Detroit. The only slight worry is if they decided to go CBC. Ramirez and Stumf have both been capable lefties this year. Would they mix and match ? That is worst case scenario and Jimenez would still presumably get the majority of save opps.

Of course, Jimenez yanked in eighth tonight after walking a pair, not trusted to protect a six-run lead (with both runners scoring on a Buck Farmer-issued grand slam to Willy Adames). He is making it real hard for me to keep the faith.

Strop with a clean save.  Now we speculate if he just has the job back for good?  Did he just keep them from signing Kimbrel? ;-)

Posted (edited)

How would we rank the following in terms of ownership going forward: Kelley, Robles, Alvarado, Strop

Edit: Realized this may be a little bench coachish, delete if necessary 

Edited by fourstar

1 hour ago, Dirk's Digglers said:

Strop with a clean save.  Now we speculate if he just has the job back for good?  Did he just keep them from signing Kimbrel? 😉

It's something worth filing away, but I read if Zobrist indeed walks away from the Cubs this year, they will save roughly 9mil that could be put towards a deal for Kimbrel. They have otherwise said they have no money to spend. We'll see if anything comes of the Zobrist thing in the imminent future... it looks doubtful he will return at this point.

Still hiding Strop in my DL slot (probably through tomorrow night), but he's clearly the man

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, fourstar said:

How would we rank the following in terms of ownership going forward: Kelley, Robles, Alvarado, Strop

Edit: Realized this may be a little bench coachish, delete if necessary 

Assuming Strop is healthy ROS:

Strop Kelley Robles Alvarado.  And I own the last three. 

If Castillo went away move Alvarado to#1.

Edited by 96mnc
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Assuming Strop is healthy ROS:

Strop Kelley Robles Alvarado.  And I own the last three. 

If Castillo went away move Alvarado to#1.

Where do you guys figure Brandon Morrow factors into things?

Maddon has said in the past that Morrow will be the close upon his return. Does this hold true? or given Morrows injury history and the fact he has missed almost half the season factor into Maddon sticking with Strop for this year? assuming he remains closer material.