Iron-cock

2019 Rotoworld Mock Real League

12 hours ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

When shall we expect our teams to be up on the yahoo machine? [No pressure, just general inquiry] 

Done.

Everyone please check your rosters to make sure they are correct.

https://clickydraft.com/draftapp/board/137210

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone get sniped bad in this one? @ToO_BaD put me on tilt three times by taking Damien Williams, Hooper, and Big Ben right before me.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mrblonde1984 said:

Anyone get sniped bad in this one? @ToO_BaD put me on tilt three times by taking Damien Williams, Hooper, and Big Ben right before me.

Snipes:

DHC got me with Josh Jacobs in the 3rd and OJ Howard in the 5th.
I literally had Guice, MIke WIlliams and OJ Howard as the only three in my queue in the 5th and they all went right before me.
The QB run in the 7th was about a round little earlier than I expected... was thinking I'd land any of the ones that went at the end of that round.

If I had it to do over, might have taken:
Robert Woods over Edelman in the 4th
Evan Engram or Tevin Coleman over Royce Freeman in the 6th

Edited by Winky
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mrblonde1984 said:

I'm honored.  Usually I draft so bad that no one ever accuses me of sniping lol

While not directly before me, Godwin and Dion Lewis were targets that went a couple picks before me.  If I could do anything again it would be to not take Kittle in the third and instead get a WR1.

22 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

While not directly before me, Godwin and Dion Lewis were targets that went a couple picks before me.  If I could do anything again it would be to not take Kittle in the third and instead get a WR1.

Dude, whatever. Your team is awesome. Even Yahoo agrees.

Snipes:

Godwin in the 4th

Goedert in the 11th (Ertz insurance)

I'll post my recap later but I'd grade the big Mahomes-Ertz first 3 rounds experiment at about a C+. IMO waiting for Watson or Rodgers 2 rounds later was way more effective. 

10 minutes ago, DocJ said:

I'll post my recap later

Please do, I love reading them from all of you.

My strategy; Short version: Don't ever have a strategy (WR-WR-RB-WR-RB). BPA and let the draft unfold as it may. 

My strategy; Long version:

1: I will admit when I saw 1.06, my first thought was "No Saquon", and my 2nd thought was "I'm probably going stud WR". Alas, the big 4 + Hopkins went ... giving me the last "RB1" in my eyes David Johnson. His 2018 demise was grossly exaggerated, and in a year where everything went wrong - he put up ~1400 yards, 50 receptions, 10 TDs. When this is your "bust" production, you are more than welcome on my team. I absolutely love him in KK's offense and the overall talent infusion on offense is quite promising. He'll be running out of the shotgun more, which he thrives in, and I expect a monster season a lot closer to 2016 than 2018. Mobile QB + shotgun = good luck defenses. 

2: Had a couple "targets". Leonard Fournette, my top target, fell into my lap. The last time I checked, he's still the focal point of an offense that I expect to improve with competent QB play (Foles > Bortles) and an offensive line that most likely won't have 80% of its starters injured - including prized FA A.Norwell, an absolute stud offensive lineman. I do not abide by "injury prone" BS. He is healthy at the moment, his offense should be improved, and he's continued to become more involved in the passing game. Yes, he's an "injury risk" - that is the only reason he's even available at this point. He's not injured now, nor am I naive enough to view any RB as "safe" (Cook, Conner, D.Williams are not "safer" - at all), so I made the easy choice and gladly acquired a RB who will be fed the ball 20+ times a game. There's a handful of RBs you can confidently say that about - and I now have 2 of them. 

3: Ok, I wasn't planning on going RB - RB , but I stuck to best player available and let the draft come to me. Again, my top target Brandin Cooks fell to me. Boom/bust blah blah blah, he's an elite deep threat in 1 of the best offenses in the game and has produced ~1100+ a year since 2015. If he was gone, Tyreek Hill was the pick. Go big or go home, I never draft "safe" (it's nonsense). In hindsight, I'd rather have Hill ... although knowing what we know now, he wouldn't have even been an option at this point. Thrilled with my top 3 picks so far.

4: No plan, a few "targets" at various positions, let's see what happens... This is the only round I was "sniped" somewhat, but still landed a target of mine: the annually underrated Alshon Jeffery, the top WR in what should be an elite offense. Spare me the injury prone nonsense, while "risky" it is once again baked into this draft price. Not a lot of people realize, and I was surprised myself, but Alshon has been a top 20 targeted WR (per game) in the NFL as an Eagle. No training camp (for him or his QB), missed the first month of the season, still put up 65/850/6 in 13 games with the second highest yards per target of his career. Top 30 WR last year despite all the other weapons/missed camp, and there's no reason to expect otherwise this year. Maybe he'll get hurt, oh well it's the only reason he's available at this point and he's a legit threat to score every time he's on the field. Gosh, I was really torn on Alshon/Allen Robinson ... 

5. Holy ... Allen Robinson is still available. Very similar logic/rationale for liking Robinson/Alshon and thrilled to have both - was not expecting this at all. I love the Bears offense this year. Coming off significant injury, missed time, new offense, new QB ... still managed a 16 game pace of 900+ yards and 68 receptions. This is his floor, and a no brainer for me at this point as my WR3. "Risky", whatever - this is once again baked into the cost to acquire him. Cooks, Alshon, Robinson and 2 "bellcow" RBs? Yes please. 

6: My top target L. Murray falls into my lap. Every year people delude themselves into thinking "Kamara's gonna get like 30 touches and 20 receptions each week now", and every year Payton unleashes a fruitful RB committee. Latavius Murray is a goalline battering ram with elite breakaway speed, playing in the best offense and offensive line of his career. If you told me Murray would be available at this point, I may have bypassed DJ for a top WR. Oh well, Allen Robinson & L.Murray at flex is a lovely "problem."

7: D'Onta Foreman ... considered QB, loved so many on the board still so didn't bother - figured I'd let you all help me decide who my QB would be ... thanks. Didn't love any WRs available, TEs are dime a dozen at this point (Kelce is the only TE I would've even considered early anyway). Bunch of back up RBs with "upside" on the board ... so I rolled the dice on the most talented back playing in an elite offense with a mediocre vet in his way and an organization that chose not to move on from Foreman or address the position in the offseason. Why? Because maybe, just maybe, he's healthy and playing at less weight to look "more explosive than ever". It's blatantly obvious he is in their plans and there has been nothing but positive news coming out of Houston. This guy is a f'n stud since his days at Texas, even Ricky Williams referred to Foreman as the better RB ... if he's anywhere close to 100% - "league winner". If he isn't, oh well I missed out on scrubs like Ronald Jones and timeshare at best RBs with less talent. 

8. Keke Coutee, WR ... This is a guy I fell in love with as the draft/prep unfolded. His QB peppered him with targets (like, shockingly similar to Deandre Hopkins) and has already said the Texans need to find ways to get the ball more. Getting him 2 rounds after Will Fuller is absurd. In the games they all played together: Coutee had 30 targets to Fuller's 19, and offers similar elite speed/big play ability (yes, Fuller is faster). 

9. DK Metcalf, Freak ... quite frankly there is no one on the board at this point with this athletic ability, available targets, and week winning potential available. Many will fall back to the "he can only run a straight line fast" BS - it's absurd. His college system pegged him in that role (the "go deep and score" or "go deep and make AJ Brown's life easier underneath" role). Also, big WRs like this rarely run the 3-cone everyone like's to cry about. I will take a 6'3, 230 pound WR prospect with 90+ percentile measurables (wingspan, 40-time, vertical, broad, bench) playing with 1 of the best QBs in the NFL in an offense lacking a legitimate #1 @ 118th overall every time. Fun fact: He ran identical 20-yard shuttles as Dez Bryant and Deandre Hopkins.  This is an absolute freak of nature playing for a team that traded up to acquire his rights and has 1 of the best QBs in the league throwing to him - with only Tyler Lockett as competition for targets. 

10. Chase Edmonds. Handcuffs are flying off the board, time to get DJ's. RB2 in ppr leagues if DJ goes down. Still a lot of QBs I like on the board and I'm smart enough to play matchups with DST, so whatever. 

11. Cam Newton, absurd value @ 146. A great example of what this league does every year: try and find the next "big thing" while outsmarting themselves. I was not targeting Cam this year, because I never thought he'd be available this late. Honestly - I still can't believe it. 

12. Mitch Trubisky, or "Cam-lite". Top 10 QB per game production despite a dominant defense, new offense, and banged up weapons. Sky = limit and his schedule pairs perfectly with Cam's. I will get top 5-10 QB production for the cost of 3rd string RB flyers. Couldn't be happier with these 2. 

13. Darwin Thompson - bigger, stronger Tarik Cohen style RB. Andy Reid offense. Barriers to success: a mediocre Dolphins cast off who's never performed well over a full season and a guy on his 4th team in 2 years. Oh, and the guy DHC didn't realize actually was cut a month ago. Dart throw extraordinaire. 

14. Noah Fant - oh no a rookie tight end; gasp! This 1st round pick TE just happens to be have WR1 athletic traits, a veteran QB known for force feeding the position, and a new offensive system that Kittle recently thrived in and wants to feature the tight end. Is he going to be Kittle? Nah, highly unlikely. Can he be a "TE1"? Well, considering 50 receptions / 600 yards would put him near top 10 amongst the position based on last year, his QB is Flacco, and the WR corp is suspect at best ... absolutely. A low level "TE1" needs to average 3 receptions for 38 yards to meet last year's criteria ... I like this guy's chances to at least match that. 

15. Antonio Calloway elite potential deep threat in high powered offense drawing rave reviews for his work on/off the field (major issue in past) who is 1 Beckham injury away from being a great WR3 at least. Odell Beckham has had significant lower body injuries piling up while missing 16 of his last 32 games. If you want to cry about "injury prone" - I'll gladly throw this dart to see if Odell survives preseason at least. Enjoy your stud kickers.

Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong - but I f'ing love this team's potential. 

• Thanks 1

Does yahoo chat work for anyone?

I can't access it on:

1. desktop - no icon

2. ipad - there's an icon but its stuck at 'trying to connect..' messages don't get sent.

3. phone - same as above.

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

Does yahoo chat work for anyone?

I can't access it on:

1. desktop - no icon

2. ipad - there's an icon but its stuck at 'trying to connect..' messages don't get sent.

3. phone - same as above.

Yeah, it is up and working. They are still updating it so it doesn't always work great but I'm able to access the app and the chat on my phone. Gifs just started working for me again in the chat and you can add reactions to posts but still can't post pics. Its weird you can't access it on any of your 3 devices.

Negotiating trades through rotoworld sucks.

Alright, its working.

I had my updates turned off. Had to update the yahoo fantasy app manually, now it works fine. You need to download the latest version of yahoo fantasy (10.10.2).

Geez.  Good thing I drafted Ballage as a handcuff.  Drake STILL isn't the starter (unless he's just getting some veteran rest or something weird.)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

https://clickydraft.com/draftapp/board/137210

I wrote this up originally while I was drafting:

Pick 9: Todd Gurley 

I could find plenty of reasons this could be a 'scary' pick, but no running back on the board can match his upside.  Gurley was injured multiple times last season.  At the very least in week 1 vs the Raiders, later in the year against the Broncos, again against the Chiefs, and finally in Philly.  Still he managed to play most of the season and in the playoffs.  I have some concern that the team might have been hiding a more serious injury. It has happened before, Chris Johnson played through a torn meniscus in 2013.   

There are other concerns with Gurley (Offensive line), but I think some of the frequently cited concerns are a bit exaggerated or misinformed (poor performance/low usage in the superbowl, Darrell Henderson is going to put him in a 50/50 timeshare, etc).

Other players considered: Conner, Chubb, Mixon

I also considered opening the draft WR, WR and going Michael Thomas/Odell/Julio followed by Brown/Evans in the second (assuming they were available, if not I would have taken AJ Green).  

(More on Gurley for those interested: http://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/741606-todd-gurley-2019-outlook/?do=findComment&comment=8597072 )

Pick 20: James Conner 

When the player you consider taking in the first round in available 10 picks later, surely you have to take him?  I strongly considered Chubb here, as well as Fournette.  I expect some touchdown regression from Conner, but the Steelers should run the ball a bit more.  Big Ben had 675 pass attempts last season, which was well above the norm for his career.

Pick 37: Tyreek Hill

The wide receivers left on the board were uninspiring at this pick.  There were plenty with upside potential, but none that I felt could produce on the level of Hill..even if I only get 10 games from him.   Hill may get a 4 game suspension, but the possibility remains that he gets nothing.  

I was strongly considering Devonta Freeman here.  I was surprised Freeman fell this far.  There was a 5 pick run on WRs which pushed him down a bit.  Still, I wanted to grab a WR here.

The way the draft has played out until this point, I felt like Hill paired with Gurley gave me the most upside if both picks worked out.

More on decoding the Hill situation: ( http://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/739381-tyreek-hill-2019-outlook/?do=findComment&comment=8590096 )

Pick 48: David Montgomery

Montgomery is sort of an all around back, I think he's heading for a pretty big workload.  While he lacks some top end speed, he seems able enough as a runner and receiver to stay on the field for all three downs and beat out Mike Davis.  I felt like he had a "safer" path to touches than the other backs still on the board, and a clearer path to a workhorse type role.  

I originally planned on going WR here.  Allen Robinson, Alshon Jeffery and Cooper Kupp were all considerations.  I figured one of them would be around next round.

Pick 65: Derrius Guice

I had a difficult decision here regarding roster construction versus potential upside.  I wanted to grab a WR but all three of the ones I had targeted last round were picked.  I considered Rodgers, but I felt like I could get a reliable QB later (Brees, Brady).  TE was a consideration too, but I felt like there were some later right ends I liked (Jared Cook for example) that should be available.  Will Fuller or Tyler Boyd would have been my WR pick here.

I didn't want to pass up on what was a productive backfield last season, where theoretically Guice should get the bulk of the carries.  Obviously there is some risk from Peterson, Bryce Love and of course Chris Thompson stealing passing down opportunities. Also Case Keenum sucks as a full time starter, and will probably drag the offense down to the gutter until Haskins starts and makes it worse.

Still Guice is very talented, and I'm not going to let a future hall of fame RB, a great COP back, a rookie who ran for 2000 yards in a college season, and a CFL level QB stop me from drafting Guice.  

Will Fuller V

If Fuller can stay healthy for a full season, he should put up some nice numbers.  I'm not too worried about Keke taking targets from him.  The combination of Hill and Fuller will probably drive me nuts this season. I'm going to have to bulk up at WR soon.

I have way too many of these smallish, fast, oft injured WRs.  I need to grab some consistency later in the draft.

Drew Brees

Brees had a 16 game pace of 4258 yards with 34 touchdowns to only 5 ints.  That would have made him the 5th QB last season and I'm getting him as QB9 off the board.  I'll take that every season.

Other players considered:  Darell Henderson, Corey Davis, Golden Tate, Curtis Samuel, Ronald Jones

(I'll post about my later round picks eventually).

Edited by Iron-cock

hey guys, sorry about the last pick my side. I have been smashed with travel into remote as hell places here in Aus so connectivity was a major issue over the last week. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/28/2019 at 1:31 AM, PackersFan1979 said:

hey guys, sorry about the last pick my side. I have been smashed with travel into remote as hell places here in Aus so connectivity was a major issue over the last week. 

No worries, just curious would you have preferred Crosby (a second kicker) or ESB?

Edited by Iron-cock

On 7/23/2019 at 9:31 PM, predator_05 said:

When i'm free a little later, or tomorrow maybe, I'll add up all the historical results from our other players. Should be interesting.

I did it.

This league officially started in 2012, but because my first season was 2013, I didn't count 2012. *shrug*

Of all the participants in the history of the mock real league, only 4 members have played ALL 6 seasons (since 2013). These members are:

- myself (predator_05)

- DocJ

- ZidaneValor

- Ryan81

Here are their cumulative win-loss records and playoff appearances:

predator_05

2013: 8-5 - 0-2 - 6th
2014: 6-7
2015: 7-6 - 1-2 - 4th
2016: 4-9
2017: 9-4 - 1-2 - 4th
2018: 8-5 - 2-1 - 2nd

Regular season: 42-36
Playoffs: 4-7

@ZidaneValor

2013: 4-9
2014: 5-8
2015: 11-2 - 1-1 - 2nd
2016: 8-5 - 2-1 - 2nd
2017: 7-6 - 1-1 - 5th
2018: 6-7

Regular season: 41-37
Playoffs: 4-3

@DocJ

2013: 7-6
2014: 5-8
2015: 10-3 - 2-0 - 1st
2016: 7-6 - 0-2 - 6th
2017: 5-8
2018: 8-5 - 1-1 - 5th

Regular season: 42-36
Playoffs: 3-3

@Ryan81

2013: 5-8
2014: 7-6 - 1-1 - 5th
2015: 4-9
2016: 11-2 - 1-1 - 3rd
2017: 4-9
2018: 4-9

Regular season: 35-43
Playoffs: 2-2

Summary:

While I hold the distinction of having had the most playoff appearances - qualifying in 4 out of 6 seasons - i have had trouble winning in the playoffs, and still haven't won the league. :( However, only one other member has qualified for the playoffs on 4 separate occasions, so it's still an admirable feat in our league's history. Interestingly, I have failed to win 10 games in a single season, which is very peculiar. A strong regular season win-loss record defined by consistency alone, but not the strongest. 

On the other hand, our former commissioner @DocJ has an identical regular season win-loss record, but also holds the distinction of having won the league in 2015. If memory serves correctly, he also set the record for most points scored in a single game (242.8) during that same season. All points considered, it makes for a very strong track record in a competitive league.

Not far behind, is @ZidaneValor, with a regular season win-loss record that is worse by only one game, and highlighted by 3 consecutive playoff appearances between 2015-2017. Three in a row is a unique distinction, as only one other league member has accomplished such a feat in our league's history. Also worth noting: Unlike @DocJ and myself, Zidane actually has a winning record in the playoffs.

Finally, we have our 2019 absentee, @Ryan81. Up until this summer, Ryan was a dedicated and committed owner. Known for drafting alongside veteran fantasy mentor @Proteus, Ryan peaked with a huge season in 2016 - possibly a result of the league's one-off switch to 12 teams (?) - with little else to speak of during other seasons. A weak regular season win-loss record could be the reason he didn't fancy coming back for a 7th time. Losing does take it's toll. However, his best ever season - highest points and all - is still a benchmark, and the envy of people like myself, who haven't touched the 10 game ceiling.

Now we move to a group of members that played 5 of the 6 seasons. These members are:

- ironcock

- FFcollusion

- CyberneticGhostofXmasPast/rraayy3

- ToO_BaD

Here are their cumulative win-loss records and playoff appearances:

@Iron-cock

2013: DNP
2015: 6-7
2016: 9-4 - 0-2 - 4th
2017: 6-7
2018: 3-10

Regular season: 30-35
Playoffs: 0-2

@FFCollusion

2014: 3-10
2016: 4-9
2018: 9-4 - 1-1 - 3rd

Regular season: 28-37
Playoffs: 1-1

@CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

2013: 9-4 - 1-1 - 5th
2015: 7-6 - 0-2 - 6th
2016: DNP
2018: 9-4 - 2-0 - 1st

Regular season: 37-28
Playoffs: 3-3

@ToO_BaD

2014: 8-5 - 2-0 - 1st
2016: 7-6 - 3-0 - 1st
2017: 10-3 - 1-1 - 3rd
2018: 8-5 - 0-2 - 6th

Regular season: 39-26
Playoffs: 6-3

Summary:

@Iron-cock's regular season win-loss record is currently skewed by one below average season in 2018. From 2014 to 2017, iron-cock built competitive teams that were consistently in playoff contention. Although near-misses aren't to be celebrated, fantasy football is a game of luck, and in a highly competitive 14 team league such as this, only 1 objectively poor season in 5 is a decent achievement. Iron-cock is a very active owner, perhaps a bit more luck in future seasons will bring those additional one or two wins.

While luck may be the only issue for some, the uniquely unconventional @FFCollusion has often experimented with different strategies. From zero RB, to zero WR; from zero QB to early QB, each strategy is just as wacky as the last. Our stats-heavy stud has done it all, and provided many lengthy write-ups and arguments along the way. Therefore, it comes as no surprise that this very entertaining owner has little concern for his weak regular season win-loss record. FFC's out of the box strategies bring a different dimension to a very competitive league, often challenging the standard fantasy football group-think. He is not quite as "out of the box" as the infamous @Robrain, but is just as active. Coming off an excellent 2018, FFC could easily produce more successful seasons in the future. He just needs the right strategy.

Little things like strategy and luck don't matter for the fearless @CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast, formerly known as @rraayy3. Always willing to reach for players dismissed as #injuryprone, always willing to take chances on talented but unproven guys, always willing to make big trades, @CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast's teams end up being rock solid. 2018 certainly was, as he convincingly won his first ever mock real league title. 3 playoff appearances in 5 seasons says a lot, but having the league's 2nd best regular season win-loss record is pretty damn impressive. If that isn't enough, @CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast never had a team finish below 6 wins. Its safe to say that as one of the league's 'objectively better' players, he'll always be in playoff contention.

There are the objectively better players, and then...there's the best. And the best, is @ToO_BaD. Not because anyone says so, but because he checks all the boxes. Most title wins? Check. 2014 and 2016. Most playoff appearances? Check. Qualified an incredible 4 times in 5 seasons. Best regular season win-loss record? Check. Best playoff win-loss record? Check. Most consecutive playoff appearances? Check. Three, tied with ZidaneValor. And who can bet against him making it 4 in a row? This guy knows how to win, and has done it consistently more often than ANY other member of this league for FIVE straight seasons. This is no fluke. Frankly, he's making the rest of the league look sloppy. Please tell us your secret. Or don't. whatever.

Note: having looked at @ToO_BaD's history, i can spot two trends: 1. he sticks to his squad. Consistently has the fewest FAAB bids. 2. He doesn't trade. Maybe there's a lesson to be learned here.

Generally speaking, by understanding the history of these 8 members, and seeing their records over a period of 5-6 seasons, you'll probably have a good idea of what you should and shouldn't do, and who you might or might not follow for "advice".

Finally, we've got some other members who are entering their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seasons. While your sample size is too small to draw conclusions from - and i'm just too lazy to look up your history - i wish you all the best of luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I'll be changing this league dynamic pretty dramatically.

For better or for worse?

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

For better or for worse?

TBD

It's been a rough 2 years in WLAB but I made some lopsided trades to get a couple guys I liked. I drafted Goedert and had Ertz. Traded ertz cause I bought into the Trey Burton hype last year and thought I'd ride him till Goedert was ready. Now Burton flopped from what I was expecting but Goedert is developing, lacking some WR help but building a good dynasty team takes a little time for me.

Hope to do well in here since I drafted this team. 

15 hours ago, predator_05 said:

I did it.

all the best of luck.

This was Way Cool Jr., thanks for doing this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DocJ said:

This was Way Cool Jr., thanks for doing this.

+1.  Definitely cool to see something that is easily overlooked in a long-standing league but can tell a lot (as you’ve shown).