Sign in to follow this  
street sharks

Derek Dietrich 2019 Outlook

The dude has never hit more than 16 home runs in full season, but he's currently got 8 in a part time role in 79 plate appearances.

I'm adding and riding it out at this point. 

Yeah this is getting stupid. But he's been one of those guys whose numbers look pretty good in the FA pool, but when you give him a stream he does nothing for you - so I'm scared to make the add.

Someone convince me, lol

58 minutes ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

Yeah this is getting stupid. But he's been one of those guys whose numbers look pretty good in the FA pool, but when you give him a stream he does nothing for you - so I'm scared to make the add.

Someone convince me, lol

Yelich Part II.  Look at his road/home splits from the last two seasons playing in Miami.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

He looks to be on the bicycle, HARD ! I wonder which masking agent he is using.

What is wrong with you?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

He looks to be on the bicycle, HARD ! I wonder which masking agent he is using.

My thoughts exactly.  When he had that two homerun game (both out of the stadium) where he was popping out of his uniform with aggression I suggested this was the case on reddit.  Promptly downvoted to hell, of course, but this is a guy on the fringe of being out of baseball altogether, he's finally hit his arb years, and his attitude and performance are exactly in line with a guy who's decided gear is the way to go.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Overlord said:

My thoughts exactly.  When he had that two homerun game (both out of the stadium) where he was popping out of his uniform with aggression I suggested this was the case on reddit.  Promptly downvoted to hell, of course, but this is a guy on the fringe of being out of baseball altogether, he's finally hit his arb years, and his attitude and performance are exactly in line with a guy who's decided gear is the way to go.

This is a VERY serious charge to make against a player unless you have hard evidence.  This is what I hate about the internet.  Anyone can go out and mess with someone's reputation for the hell of it without any evidence and the telephone game starts and another life is ruined.  Please stop this stuff unless you have proof.  Thank you.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Overlord said:

Dude’s been pretty ripped for a while. I don’t think it’s fair to speculate that it’s just due to steroids. Now if you want to say that he exudes a Brett Lawrie level of douchebaggery by taking off his shirt after game winning hits and pimping home runs like he’s suddenly Barry Bonds now that’s another story.

Dietrich has always had above average raw power. He's played his whole career in Miami, now he's playing the exact opposite end of the specturm in Cincy with a juiced ball. Not that hard to figure out without suggested defamation.

• Like 4

Meh, seems destined for a regression. Sporting a 33.3% HR/FB rate. The only drastic improvement I see is in cutting down his K% from 25.4% to 16.3%.

It looks like he tries to sky everything out - launch angle is very high, nearly a 50% FB rate. That comes with a 18.5% infield flyball rate. xBA is .234.

For a jacked guy, his exit velo is only in the 22nd percentile and hard hit % is in the 27th percentile.

He's heading out to OAK and then SF for 6 games this week. Could see a couple of potential homers die at the warning tracks.

• Like 1

I know small sample size and all but his BABIP is .188. and his career BABIP is hovering above .300...could we see room for improvement on that .257 average?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

Meh, seems destined for a regression. Sporting a 33.3% HR/FB rate. The only drastic improvement I see is in cutting down his K% from 25.4% to 16.3%.

It looks like he tries to sky everything out - launch angle is very high, nearly a 50% FB rate. That comes with a 18.5% infield flyball rate. xBA is .234.

For a jacked guy, his exit velo is only in the 22nd percentile and hard hit % is in the 27th percentile.

He's heading out to OAK and then SF for 6 games this week. Could see a couple of potential homers die at the warning tracks.

Well if his hard hit % is in the 27th percentile then so is Mookie, Harper, Chapman, Abreu, Haniger...just saying.

The guy is pulling the ball more than ever, hitting the ball harder than ever and also flying the ball more than ever. That HR/FB ratio will come down for sure but maybe not that much/

• Thanks 1

Sitting today (last game in Cincy), then off to Oakland for 3 and SF for 3.  3 of those 6 games will have lefties so he may not even play - and as mentioned above could have some fly balls killed at the track in those parks.

• Like 1

Playing like a guy who was stuck in baseball hell of Miami and is doing everything possible to never go back.  Probably a breath of fresh air being surrounded by good baseball players.  Also probably helps he’s not hitting in a huge home park anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

looking like a very similar situation to Joc Pederson. A strong righty platoon bat.

Edited by JetsAwesome

26 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Sitting today (last game in Cincy), then off to Oakland for 3 and SF for 3.  3 of those 6 games will have lefties so he may not even play - and as mentioned above could have some fly balls killed at the track in those parks.

Oof. I’m expecting a roller coaster ride of ownership trends with everyone that is picking him up now will soon be dropping him by weekend. When he gets back home and faces a bunch of righties, he’ll start mashing again and the cycle will repeat.