Sign in to follow this  
street sharks

Derek Dietrich 2019 Outlook

I know the power is going to come down, but I decided to do some digging on the power numbers.  I found an interesting article on him:

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/5/8/4313276/prospect-of-the-day-derek-dietrich-2b-miami-marlins

Dietrich was originally drafted by the Houston Astros in 2007 but turned down Houston in order to play college baseball at Georgia Tech. He was quite successful in college, hitting .332/.410/.592 as a freshman, .311/.426/.511 as a sophomore, then .350/.459/.650 with 17 homers as a junior. He was rated as a possible first round pick but ended up going in the second round, drafted by the Tampa Bay Rays. His pro debut was reasonably successful with a .279/.340/.419 line in 45 games for Hudson Valley in the New York-Penn League.

Sent to Bowling Green in the Midwest League for 2011, Dietrich hit .277/.346/.502 with 22 homers, 34 doubles, 38 walks, and 128 strikeouts in 480 at-bats. His power was unquestioned but his strike zone judgment needed some work, and most observers felt his range would work better at second or third base than at shortstop. Moved up to High-A Charlotte to begin 2012, he hit .282/.343/.468 with 10 homers in 98 games, followed by a .271/.324/.429 line in 34 games for Double-A Montgomery.

He was traded from Tampa Bay across the state to the Marlins this past winter for Yunel Escobar. He was off to a good start in 2013, hitting .282/.408/.505 in 103 at-bats for Double-A Jacksonville, with 16 walks and 23 strikeouts.

Dietrich is a 6-0, 200 pound left-handed hitter and right-handed thrower, born July 18, 1989. His best offensive attribute is power: he has unusually good home run potential for a middle infielder, enough power that his bat profiles well at third base. At times his power has worked against him, when he's tempted to lengthen his swing excessively. The strike zone gets away from him occasionally but he's worked hard to improve his discipline and has made progress in that department.

I didn't know that about him.  I often read articles suggesting that the power was limited and almost accidental.  Seems he would be a 20-25 HR guy typically from the profile.  Then factor in that he went from the worst ballpark last year for HRs, to the best ballpark for HRs.  Add in a dash of juiced balls.  Change the launch angle a bit instead of going for line drives (in the 15-16.5% range previously, this season at 20%).  To add one last thing that I frankly don't know what it means, or how it is calculated, but he is top 3% in the league in barrel %, which is also almost triple of what he did last year in that category.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/derek-dietrich-518618?stats=career-r-hitting-mlb

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

have the wheels fallen off...lol?

He'll hop back on, pedal to the metal, soon enough.

1 hour ago, Overlord said:

He'll hop back on, pedal to the metal, soon enough.

is his last 38 at bats...ZERO bombs and ONE rbi.......YUCK

and on top of the non existant counting stats, he is 2 for his last 30

That's what he gets for acting like he's Barry Bonds after hitting a couple HR's.

25 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

That's what he gets for acting like he's Barry Bonds after hitting a couple HR's.

Barry Bonds?  He acted like a WWF star!

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Do it again, I need another HR tonight! 🤗

• Haha 1