CooL

Commisioner's Corner 2019

Recommended Posts

Is there a Commish Corner thread yet for the upcoming season?  I couldn't find one.

I'm in a long-standing 12 team keeper league of 15 years where pretty much everybody knows everyone.  Over the years, we've had a few replacements due to people moving, getting too busy with life, loss of interest, etc.  It's a fun league with good trash talking and camaraderie.  Most of us on these forums would say that we are fantasy football fanatics.  But I know not everyone shares the same level of passion. 

We have two managers in the league that everyone knows their level of commitment is modest at best. They are considered easily the weakest managers in the league.  Maybe three roster moves all season.  They don't respond to trade requests.  They occasionally forget to swap out bye players and make changes (putting back in a stud coming off injury, etc.) and thus giving free wins to their opponents. 

There is a growing swell amongst the league to remove these deadbeat managers.  I guess it all blew up when one of these guys forgot to set a line up in week 13 last season and allowed the most competitive guy in our league to sneak into the playoffs, and then of course this guy went on a roll and won it all.

Anybody have any experience with kicking out people in the league?  It gets sticky because as I said most everybody is friends.  One of these guys went to grade school with a bunch of the league.  The other guy is a work colleague (boss) of another in the league.  Should that matter? 

How would you handle the situation?  Thanks in advance for the advice!

1. Just be straight and say they are being replaced for lack of interest and it was a democratic decision?  Easier said than done given the relationships that I have to consider.  The one guy in the league of course doesn't want his boss kicked out because he thinks it would be awkward at work. 

2. Start a new league 10 team league and not tell these two guys about it?  I hate to lose our league history especially because it's a keeper league.

3. Give them a final warning and say they better get more involved?  That seems hard to do and hard to judge.  I can't force them to make add/drops or set what most would consider to be optimal lineups.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a tough issue.  In my league of 24 years, those types of situations resolved themselves naturally for the most part.

I guess one idea is to find two new league managers and just quietly not invite the other two back.

Or you could assign them a mentee team manager to "learn the ropes" of your league with an eye to possibly taking over down the line.

By virtue of being an intense, competitive league, the more casual owners will generally weed themselves out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Right on!!  Commish's Corner lives on!

 

I was getting banned left and right last year for answering questions in this thread so I wasn't gonna make it this year, but I'll be happy to drop my Commish opinion on the masses if SOMEONE ELSE creates it.

 

41 minutes ago, CooL said:

I'm in a long-standing 12 team keeper league of 15 years where pretty much everybody knows everyone.  Over the years, we've had a few replacements due to people moving, getting too busy with life, loss of interest, etc.  It's a fun league with good trash talking and camaraderie.  Most of us on these forums would say that we are fantasy football fanatics.  But I know not everyone shares the same level of passion. 

We have two managers in the league that everyone knows their level of commitment is modest at best. They are considered easily the weakest managers in the league.  Maybe three roster moves all season.  They don't respond to trade requests.  They occasionally forget to swap out bye players and make changes (putting back in a stud coming off injury, etc.) and thus giving free wins to their opponents. 

There is a growing swell amongst the league to remove these deadbeat managers.  I guess it all blew up when one of these guys forgot to set a line up in week 13 last season and allowed the most competitive guy in our league to sneak into the playoffs, and then of course this guy went on a roll and won it all.

Anybody have any experience with kicking out people in the league?  It gets sticky because as I said most everybody is friends.  One of these guys went to grade school with a bunch of the league.  The other guy is a work colleague (boss) of another in the league.  Should that matter? 

How would you handle the situation?  Thanks in advance for the advice!

1. Just be straight and say they are being replaced for lack of interest and it was a democratic decision?  Easier said than done given the relationships that I have to consider.  The one guy in the league of course doesn't want his boss kicked out because he thinks it would be awkward at work. 

2. Start a new league 10 team league and not tell these two guys about it?  I hate to lose our league history especially because it's a keeper league.

3. Give them a final warning and say they better get more involved?  That seems hard to do and hard to judge.  I can't force them to make add/drops or set what most would consider to be optimal lineups.

 

1.  I've had to kick 2 people out of my leagues over the years and had "the convo" about 4 times.  It's never easy in a friends and family league.  Sorry.  There's no easy answer.  What I've found has worked out best for me personally is getting them on the phone (or talking to them face to face if we see each other at a get together or something).  The convo is def a bit of an awkward convo, but it's never been that terrible.   I'll more or less say the following things:

A)  Is everything going OK?  You didn't seem too passionate about the league last year and there was a lot of discontent because of it.  I heard a few people talking, etc.

B.  Have you considered bringing in another friend or family member to help you co-manage your team so that with yall both combined neither of you miss a beat and one of yall is always active?

That's all I've ever really had to say.  Generally this is where the person will take over and I'll just listen and nod.  It's been basically the same every time.  ESADY.

1.  Excuse

2.  Sad / Angered

3.  Decision

4.  YOU PUSH THE EXECUTION

They will lead with the generic EXCUSE "been busy" then give some weak example.  Just nod and say you understand.  They will feel slightly hurt (because you eluded to people being angry cause they sucked).  Sometimes they ask me what people have been saying (ANGERED), sometimes they will express the fact they're sorry they let the league down (SAD).  Regardless, don't ever tell them what people have been saying or who said what, it will only make things worse.  "You know I can't say that" then wait for them to move on.  Once they move on they will generally volunteer the DECISION.  They will either throw out names to co-manage their team with (like you even care) or they'll just let you know they're going to walk away.  You just made them quit without getting blood on your hands, you made them believe this was their decision and choice AKA you incepted them. Bottom line, you get what you want in either situation.

 

Finally though... YOU PUSH THE EXECUTION.  Lazy people are generally lazy.  They won't miss an episode of game of thrones and have seen every new movie and TV show out there, but they are constantly too busy to ask the co-manager to formally be a part of their team.  You have to press this until it happens.  On the flip side when the person quits "on their own" you have to find an adequate league replacement.  A short interview here will probably be necessary and you explain why the last person left and what you do and do not want in this new person (their replacement).  

 

I have 2 co-managed teams now and they rarely miss a beat.  One or the other is always making moves (i can tell because I see 2 different names doing things) and the lineups are always set.  I have had 2 replacements and they've managed to stay active and have been well received.

 

As for the guy with the boss... NEVER let your boss know you play FF... let alone invite them in your league.  Rookie's just gonna have to learn from that mistake.

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Right on!!  Commish's Corner lives on!

 

I was getting banned left and right last year for answering questions in this thread so I wasn't gonna make it this year, but I'll be happy to drop my Commish opinion on the masses if SOMEONE ELSE creates it.

 

 

Thank you for the advice!

Is a commissioner's corner thread not allowed?  I seem to remember there always being one every season.  If it's not allowed, then mods, please forgive me and remove.  I honestly didn't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CooL said:

Thank you for the advice!

Is a commissioner's corner thread not allowed?  I seem to remember there always being one every season.  If it's not allowed, then mods, please forgive me and remove.  I honestly didn't know.

 

Nah, it's 100% allowed.

 

It just generally creates the most polarizing arguments outside of the Flash Gordon thread.

 

Lots of toes dug into the sand on opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

 

Nah, it's 100% allowed.

 

It just generally creates the most polarizing arguments outside of the Flash Gordon thread.

 

Lots of toes dug into the sand on opinions.

 

Commish corner and @Dreams And Dwightmares is like peas and carrots 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

There's no easy answer.  What I've found has worked out best for me personally is getting them on the phone (or talking to them face to face if we see each other at a get together or something).  The convo is def a bit of an awkward convo, but it's never been that terrible.

This is in general a good strategy. 

It works in business too. I'll write a "bad mail" (professional but strict) to get my thoughts straight, then I'll get the other side on the phone, ask how things are, and generally they'll know what it's about; if not, now you can tell them. 

Most of these situations resolve themselves and if not you can still send the (modified) mail. Gets much better results than diving straight in with the mail and getting people all riled up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would eagerly kick them out if I were you, provided these two conditions are met:  First, the rest of the league is on board with it, and second, you have quality replacements sure to step in.    The last thing you want is to rotate in some noob who sucks just as bad, who might quit, and you're doing it all over again.  I went through that in my own keeper.  A good friend stepped in after a guy moved away, was clearly overmatched, quit after one season, and complained about the league, taking no ownership for his bad decisions.   I found a replacement only with a week left before the draft.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CooL said:

Is there a Commish Corner thread yet for the upcoming season?  I couldn't find one.

I'm in a long-standing 12 team keeper league of 15 years where pretty much everybody knows everyone.  Over the years, we've had a few replacements due to people moving, getting too busy with life, loss of interest, etc.  It's a fun league with good trash talking and camaraderie.  Most of us on these forums would say that we are fantasy football fanatics.  But I know not everyone shares the same level of passion. 

We have two managers in the league that everyone knows their level of commitment is modest at best. They are considered easily the weakest managers in the league.  Maybe three roster moves all season.  They don't respond to trade requests.  They occasionally forget to swap out bye players and make changes (putting back in a stud coming off injury, etc.) and thus giving free wins to their opponents. 

There is a growing swell amongst the league to remove these deadbeat managers.  I guess it all blew up when one of these guys forgot to set a line up in week 13 last season and allowed the most competitive guy in our league to sneak into the playoffs, and then of course this guy went on a roll and won it all.

Anybody have any experience with kicking out people in the league?  It gets sticky because as I said most everybody is friends.  One of these guys went to grade school with a bunch of the league.  The other guy is a work colleague (boss) of another in the league.  Should that matter? 

How would you handle the situation?  Thanks in advance for the advice!

1. Just be straight and say they are being replaced for lack of interest and it was a democratic decision?  Easier said than done given the relationships that I have to consider.  The one guy in the league of course doesn't want his boss kicked out because he thinks it would be awkward at work. 

2. Start a new league 10 team league and not tell these two guys about it?  I hate to lose our league history especially because it's a keeper league.

3. Give them a final warning and say they better get more involved?  That seems hard to do and hard to judge.  I can't force them to make add/drops or set what most would consider to be optimal lineups.

 

My relationship with my friends is way different from yours. I'd just kick them out and it wouldn't really be a big deal. Have done it a couple times for similar reasons. Didn't affect our friendship, as it shouldn't.

 

So 1

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2019 at 11:13 AM, CooL said:

 

1. Just be straight and say they are being replaced for lack of interest and it was a democratic decision?  Easier said than done given the relationships that I have to consider.  The one guy in the league of course doesn't want his boss kicked out because he thinks it would be awkward at work. 

2. Start a new league 10 team league and not tell these two guys about it?  I hate to lose our league history especially because it's a keeper league.

3. Give them a final warning and say they better get more involved?  That seems hard to do and hard to judge.  I can't force them to make add/drops or set what most would consider to be optimal lineups.

1.  Kicking your boss out of a fantasy football league is a glaring, blatant, extremely stupid thing to do. Like water is wet stupid. I don't care how half-a** he is at the game. 

2.  Maybe, but I'd fear that the deadbeats would find out about it sooner or later and all the pissed off BS kicks in anyway. Maybe if you have that in addition to the old one and scale back or gradually leave the old one, in effect "kicking them out" over time but they just don't realize it.

3.  That's even dumber than option 1. 

 

I suggest either 2. or a 4:  suck it up and get over it.  i.e. decide what's more important:  friendship and job security or a fantasy freaking football league. I think it's tragic that anyone would have to think about that for more than 2 seconds. 

Also I thought of a 5:  change the rules in a way that makes the game harder or otherwise you feel confident they would hate and/or maybe give incentive to them getting on board, like monetary penalties for starting players on a bye etc. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bomont said:

1.  Kicking your boss out of a fantasy football league is a glaring, blatant, extremely stupid thing to do. Like water is wet stupid. I don't care how half-a** he is at the game. 

I have had jobs with more than a dozen companies in 5 different countries, and I can honestly say that if I have a job where I can't tell my boss he's wrong, that he needs to try harder or that something needs to change, then it's time to leave.

(I've even told a boss once that if I was his boss, he'd be fired. He agreed, and after that it was a lot easier to cooperate. I told another boss he screwed up a sale and that he cost himself a lot of money. That's close to 20 years ago and we're good friends - I still do the occasional job with him. I'm not saying you should follow my example, but being afraid of management is a dead end to my mind.)

I thought @Dreams And Dwightmares nailed it. Just open the discussion, and things will be clearer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Except that's not what I said or what we're talking about. This isn't simply telling your boss he's wrong, like disagreeing about an approach to something on the job etc. This is saying you suck playing this little game of ours so bad we have to tell you to shape up or get out. I feel confident saying that few people, including long-time friends, would take that well, no matter how diplomatic you try to be about it, and understandably so. It's not a question of being right or wrong. It's a question of going up to someone you consider a friend (and/or a boss) and saying "you don't take our game seriously enough like we do so get out." Don't be too surprised if that friendship becomes quite strained or that job isn't quite as secure after that.

And if you're in good enough financial shape that you can afford to potentially lose your job and be unemployed for God knows how long all because of a game - good for you. But many others don't share that situation. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bomont said:

And if you're in good enough financial shape that you can afford to potentially lose your job and be unemployed for God knows how long all because of a game - good for you. But many others don't share that situation. 

Actually I would look at it from the other side. If you can't even tell your boss he needs to work harder at this silly game you're playing, then what can you tell him?

I know I stand relatively alone in this, and as said, I won't advise anyone to do the same, it's simply how I look at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This isn't a silly game. 

 

We're on a message board discussing strategy months before the start of the season. 

 

This is a hobby. 

 

People think hobbies are only hiking and building things, but that's not how I see it. 

 

This is a hobby. And to me, it's no sillier than a lot of the other hobbies out there and I'd honestly be pretty annoyed if 2 people ruined my hobby I've gotta wait a year for. 

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I’d tease the boss about it- but take no real action lol.   If he likes you it’s a fantastic way to build the relationship that matters (work, money, future).  let the small stuff go.    Plenty of fantasy leagues with hardcore players 

Edited by Impreza178

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

I’d tease the boss about it- but take no real action lol.   If he likes you it’s a fantastic way to build the relationship that matters (work, money, future).  let the small stuff go.    Plenty of fantasy leagues with hardcore players 

 

The only problem is that, what if this is like the only league he cares about.  Most of me and my league mates have quit all / most of our online action because our leagues are so fun and freaking awesome.  I'd be so bummed if 2 people were ruining that league for the other 9 (1 of the 10 will win each season and not care that he TRAPED the morons or got a free win out of them that slid them into the playoffs).

 

I agree with your first line though.  I would never take action against my boss lol, but then again, I'd never let them know I played FF, let alone invite them in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The opposite of doing something about them if you're afraid to say something might be expand to 14.

 

In 14 everyone llays each other 1 time only regular season. So no one benefits from playing the chumps 2x.

 

Just gotta figure out a way to regulate TRAPES against them now... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello fellow commissioners!

 

I have a 12-team family league and I’m looking for ways to make my league fun for everybody.  I think smack talk is the key for my league.  We don’t have a live in-person draft because we have people who live all over the country and world.  So I am considering writing a weekly newsletter(thread) to make my league more engaging and fun for everybody.  I’ve done a little research on this topic and found a few categories/awards to give out each week in the newsletter.  The categories are listed below, but with my “working labels.” What has been your experience with emails or newsletters to help generate smack talk among league mates? Is this a good idea? Any suggestions or feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

 

The Supreme Team (aka Highest Score)

Skunk of the Week (aka Lowest Score)

Dub Nation (aka Lowest Winning Score) - the owner who got the “W” or “Dub” while having the lowest winning score.

Hustlin’ Backwards (aka Worst Roster Decision) - for owners who bench players who go on to have big games.

Best waiver/FA pickup - I don’t have a name for this yet. I was thinking about calling this one MONEYBALL after the movie.

 

The newsletter would go into a Yahoo thread  and would be part of a weekly recap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, birdpine said:

So I am considering writing a weekly newsletter(thread) to make my league more engaging and fun for everybody.  

Is your newsletter going to be all bold too? ;)

My tip: don't expect too much in terms of feedback, or smack talk generated by this. If people don't do that now, then most likely that's because that's not what they do.

Do it because you feel it would be more engaging for you. That should be good enough reason, and to hell what anyone else says.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. I tried things like that here and there and didn't get much response, so figured it wasn't worth the effort. Props for trying though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bomont said:

 I tried things like that here and there and didn't get much response, so figured it wasn't worth the effort.

Oh, that's what you were trying to do?

Yeah no worries. Once the season gets closer there'll be so much smacking you won't be able to hear the talking.

I prefer it like it is now, when you can still have an intelligent discussion, to be honest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

My tip: don't expect too much in terms of feedback, or smack talk generated by this. If people don't do that now, then most likely that's because that's not what they do.

 

Wise words, my friend. Your honesty is appreciated.  They don't really trash talk. 

I am just looking for a way to not make it not strictly about the payouts.  FF is one of my hobbies and I was just looking for a way to get my other league mates to care about it a bit more.  It is a win-win when for the players and league when everybody commits and buys in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

Oh, that's what you were trying to do?

Yeah no worries. Once the season gets closer there'll be so much smacking you won't be able to hear the talking.

I prefer it like it is now, when you can still have an intelligent discussion, to be honest. 

??  Afraid you lost me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, birdpine said:

Hello fellow commissioners!

 

I have a 12-team family league and I’m looking for ways to make my league fun for everybody.  I think smack talk is the key for my league.  We don’t have a live in-person draft because we have people who live all over the country and world.  So I am considering writing a weekly newsletter(thread) to make my league more engaging and fun for everybody.  I’ve done a little research on this topic and found a few categories/awards to give out each week in the newsletter.  The categories are listed below, but with my “working labels.” What has been your experience with emails or newsletters to help generate smack talk among league mates? Is this a good idea? Any suggestions or feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

 

The Supreme Team (aka Highest Score)

Skunk of the Week (aka Lowest Score)

Dub Nation (aka Lowest Winning Score) - the owner who got the “W” or “Dub” while having the lowest winning score.

Hustlin’ Backwards (aka Worst Roster Decision) - for owners who bench players who go on to have big games.

Best waiver/FA pickup - I don’t have a name for this yet. I was thinking about calling this one MONEYBALL after the movie.

 

The newsletter would go into a Yahoo thread  and would be part of a weekly recap.

 

This will be a waste of time.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, birdpine said:

 

Wise words, my friend. Your honesty is appreciated.  They don't really trash talk. 

I am just looking for a way to not make it not strictly about the payouts.  FF is one of my hobbies and I was just looking for a way to get my other league mates to care about it a bit more.  It is a win-win when for the players and league when everybody commits and buys in.

 

You just need new leaguemates that care about fantasy more.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.