CooL

Commisioner's Corner 2019

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2019 at 10:53 AM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Right on!!  Commish's Corner lives on!

I was getting banned left and right last year for answering questions in this thread so I wasn't gonna make it this year, but I'll be happy to drop my Commish opinion on the masses if SOMEONE ELSE creates it.

1.  I've had to kick 2 people out of my leagues over the years and had "the convo" about 4 times.  It's never easy in a friends and family league.  Sorry.  There's no easy answer.  What I've found has worked out best for me personally is getting them on the phone (or talking to them face to face if we see each other at a get together or something).  The convo is def a bit of an awkward convo, but it's never been that terrible.   I'll more or less say the following things:

A)  Is everything going OK?  You didn't seem too passionate about the league last year and there was a lot of discontent because of it.  I heard a few people talking, etc.

B.  Have you considered bringing in another friend or family member to help you co-manage your team so that with yall both combined neither of you miss a beat and one of yall is always active?

That's all I've ever really had to say.  Generally this is where the person will take over and I'll just listen and nod.  It's been basically the same every time.  ESADY.

1.  Excuse

2.  Sad / Angered

3.  Decision

4.  YOU PUSH THE EXECUTION

They will lead with the generic EXCUSE "been busy" then give some weak example.  Just nod and say you understand.  They will feel slightly hurt (because you eluded to people being angry cause they sucked).  Sometimes they ask me what people have been saying (ANGERED), sometimes they will express the fact they're sorry they let the league down (SAD).  Regardless, don't ever tell them what people have been saying or who said what, it will only make things worse.  "You know I can't say that" then wait for them to move on.  Once they move on they will generally volunteer the DECISION.  They will either throw out names to co-manage their team with (like you even care) or they'll just let you know they're going to walk away.  You just made them quit without getting blood on your hands, you made them believe this was their decision and choice AKA you incepted them. Bottom line, you get what you want in either situation.

Finally though... YOU PUSH THE EXECUTION.  Lazy people are generally lazy.  They won't miss an episode of game of thrones and have seen every new movie and TV show out there, but they are constantly too busy to ask the co-manager to formally be a part of their team.  You have to press this until it happens.  On the flip side when the person quits "on their own" you have to find an adequate league replacement.  A short interview here will probably be necessary and you explain why the last person left and what you do and do not want in this new person (their replacement).  

I have 2 co-managed teams now and they rarely miss a beat.  One or the other is always making moves (i can tell because I see 2 different names doing things) and the lineups are always set.  I have had 2 replacements and they've managed to stay active and have been well received.

As for the guy with the boss... NEVER let your boss know you play FF... let alone invite them in your league.  Rookie's just gonna have to learn from that mistake.

Going through this same type of thing in one of my dynasty leagues. Do you have an official set of league rules drafted up? If not, create one and add a rule about not setting line ups or responding to trade requests. Make sure to include the league when creating the rules. Give them the option to drop out of the league if they don't agree with the new rules. Then, just let the situation play itself out. If they break said rule say......3 times and the consequence's outlined in the official rules are that they're booted from the league, then what can they say when it happens?

Edited by wonderbread
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

This will be a waste of time.

LOL.  In a nutshell. 

Well, I have a few thoughts.

1. Raise the buy-in (assuming you guys have one).  It should increase the participation rate of the lazy managers.  If not, more money for the active managers (but this isn't an ideal situation, so let's move on).

2. You could do some of the stuff that Dreams and Dwightmares said.  You just have to be really careful with tone and know your audience.  

3. Send an email to all league members so nobody feels targeted/singled out expressing the necessity to stay active and set lineups for the enjoyment of all in the league.  You can start the email by acknowledging that fantasy football is just a game and people get busy, but that it's an important and valued hobby for a lot of league members.  Then suggest that anyone who starts any players on bye or who doesn't log in for more than a week or two to set lineups won't be invited back for the next year.  Finish by acknowledging that the time commitment might not be for everyone and that you understand if they want to bow out. This is a little more passive and people tend not to get as mad if expectations have been clearly set. But it might get you sucked into one more year of lazy managers, but they will probably at least change their ways for the first 3-4 weeks of the season (hopefully the entire season!).

Good luck!

On 6/23/2019 at 5:48 PM, birdpine said:

Hello fellow commissioners!

I have a 12-team family league and I’m looking for ways to make my league fun for everybody.  I think smack talk is the key for my league.  We don’t have a live in-person draft because we have people who live all over the country and world.  So I am considering writing a weekly newsletter(thread) to make my league more engaging and fun for everybody.  I’ve done a little research on this topic and found a few categories/awards to give out each week in the newsletter.  The categories are listed below, but with my “working labels.” What has been your experience with emails or newsletters to help generate smack talk among league mates? Is this a good idea? Any suggestions or feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

The Supreme Team (aka Highest Score)

Skunk of the Week (aka Lowest Score)

Dub Nation (aka Lowest Winning Score) - the owner who got the “W” or “Dub” while having the lowest winning score.

Hustlin’ Backwards (aka Worst Roster Decision) - for owners who bench players who go on to have big games.

Best waiver/FA pickup - I don’t have a name for this yet. I was thinking about calling this one MONEYBALL after the movie.

The newsletter would go into a Yahoo thread  and would be part of a weekly recap.

Do a lot of acronyms WW PU OTW

Waiver wire pickup of the week. 

People love acronyms. 

I do weekly posts in a Facebook league page. Generally get between 5-80 replies and smack talk. Just depends on who did well that week and who didn't honestly. 

If my loud mouths lost that week then the threads will be silent. And then vice versa. The loud mouths cause the others to talk back I feel. 

Yahoo message board sucks, it's formatting and lack of gifs and pic upload problems, but it is what it is. 

I think over half my league doesn't read emails so when it sends an email notification it falls on deaf ears. Everyone checks FB tho. 

Every league is different, but I'd try everything to get people interacting. I've always gotten decent feedback, but I know I tried it in an online league before where I didn't know people and it was a complete waste. Like I was talking to walls. That's when I started private messaging people after defeats and talking crazy. 

If you won't interact with the league, I'm definitely gonna make you hate me before this season ends. 

• Haha 1

On 6/13/2019 at 1:40 AM, bomont said:

"Except that's not what I said or what we're talking about. This isn't simply telling your boss he's wrong, like disagreeing about an approach to something on the job etc. This is saying you suck playing this little game of ours so bad we have to tell you to shape up or get out. I feel confident saying that few people, including long-time friends, would take that well, no matter how diplomatic you try to be about it, and understandably so. It's not a question of being right or wrong. It's a question of going up to someone you consider a friend (and/or a boss) and saying "you don't take our game seriously enough like we do so get out." Don't be too surprised if that friendship becomes quite strained or that job isn't quite as secure after that.

And if you're in good enough financial shape that you can afford to potentially lose your job and be unemployed for God knows how long all because of a game - good for you. But many others don't share that situation." 

Your situation shouldn't be quite so tenuous, you say your boss doesn't give a $#!+ but will sack you if you place him on probation, add a co-owner or take any measure that would offend him. No offense, but this place where you work, doesn't seem like you have any standing. My advice would be to find something else. Or, if that's overstating it, why not just help him out! You're the guy, go in & set his $#!+ lineup for him! :) Obviously, quitting this league isn't what you want to do, but neither is lopping head, when it's clearly necessary. You say you have the support of the group... what's that even mean? If you're not on your own with this, get one of the others to handle the whacking. Stage your ouster as commissioner and let your proxy do what's necessary. 

I assume you meant to quote the OP :) My boss isn't in my league. 

I would think one eulogy would be enough.  I guess you could name your trophy after that person if you wanted to remember them for longer.

Sorry for your loss.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Any commishes out there have had someone die in their league before? 

If so, do y'all pay em a uligy every year or just the first year after death? 

That sucks man.. But I'd pay it once and then let it live in those memories 

On 6/29/2019 at 12:09 AM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Any commishes out there have had someone die in their league before? 

If so, do y'all pay em a uligy every year or just the first year after death? 

Sorry to hear this. This happened to us. We didn't do anything as most of us were at his funeral and knew him outside of the league (which was pretty new then). We did do a toast before the draft started and shared a story or 3 later including the most famous of when he drafted Favre with a top 3 pick (before we went auction) and we ribbed him for taking a QB so high but he countered how it was Favre and he would have the last laugh and dismissed us arrogantly. 

It was 2005. Favre went 3900/20/29.  :)  Oh he hated that year...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I run a 12 team keeper league (keep 3 guys yearly).    Two players have opted out for next year.   Its not the worst thing, neither was too engaging and one was borderline ejected but i was talked into keeping him another year.  He behaved, but now he quit.    Since draft pick trades and other things disrupt proceedings, here's my plan to restock- any input, suggestions welcome- if i missed an angle let me know.  

Both teams were playoff teams, both traded away some picks late in the year to stock up.  They pick back to back in draft order outside of traded picks.

• Team A traded his 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks away.   Has extra 8th, 11th(x2), 12th
  • Team A Roster includes: McCaffrey, LeVeon, James White (7th), Kupp (8th), Lockett (10th), McDonald (10th)

• Team B traded his 4th rounder away, has an extra 9th
  • Team B Roster is basically Mike Thomas and Melvin Gordon with scrubs or nonkeepers

CMC is the prize.   Bell, Gordon, and Thomas all cost first rounders, so one team gets CMC, the other can get only one of those other studs.  The current plan is to flip a coin at the draft between the two replacements.  Winner gets choice- pick the first keeper and get CMC, but also get the bad picks.  They alternate keeper choices after that.    

Essentially here's how it would likely play out-  One team gets CMC, Kupp, McDonald, and bad picks.  The other gets Lockett, White, MG3/Thomas/Bell, and better picks.     Is that a fair split?  

DISCLOSURE- I own the first overall pick.   The clear lead dog for that choice will be whomever of these first rounders is not kept- almost certain that I'll take Gordon or Thomas there barring injuries.   I have to be careful not to collude there. 

Edited by BrianM

38 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I run a 12 team keeper league (keep 3 guys yearly).    Two players have opted out for next year.   Its not the worst thing, neither was too engaging and one was borderline ejected but i was talked into keeping him another year.  He behaved, but now he quit.    Since draft pick trades and other things disrupt proceedings, here's my plan to restock- any input, suggestions welcome- if i missed an angle let me know.  

Both teams were playoff teams, both traded away some picks late in the year to stock up.  They pick back to back in draft order outside of traded picks.

• Team A traded his 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks away.   Has extra 8th, 11th(x2), 12th
  • Team A Roster includes: McCaffrey, LeVeon, James White (7th), Kupp (8th), Lockett (10th), McDonald (10th)

• Team B traded his 4th rounder away, has an extra 9th
  • Team B Roster is basically Mike Thomas and Melvin Gordon with scrubs or nonkeepers

CMC is the prize.   Bell, Gordon, and Thomas all cost first rounders, so one team gets CMC, the other can get only one of those other studs.  The current plan is to flip a coin at the draft between the two replacements.  Winner gets choice- pick the first keeper and get CMC, but also get the bad picks.  They alternate keeper choices after that.    

Essentially here's how it would likely play out-  One team gets CMC, Kupp, McDonald, and bad picks.  The other gets Lockett, White, MG3/Thomas/Bell, and better picks.     Is that a fair split?  

DISCLOSURE- I own the first overall pick.   The clear lead dog for that choice will be whomever of these first rounders is not kept- almost certain that I'll take Gordon or Thomas there barring injuries.   I have to be careful not to collude there. 

Why not just find new owners to take on the teams as is?   I don’t understand the point of distributing picks and players around.    Maybe I missed something 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Why not just find new owners to take on the teams as is?   I don’t understand the point of distributing picks and players around.    Maybe I missed something 

I think the idea is he will easily find a new owner for team A, but not team B? And he wants to even the playing field a bit.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

I think the idea is he will easily find a new owner for team A, but not team B? And he wants to even the playing field a bit.

A top 5 rb

top 3 wr 

and every pick except 4th rounder 

This is a tough sell?

• Like 2

This is exactly why I wouldn't be in a league where you can trade future picks. Intentionally or not, someone can trade them away then if they quit the next year you get a mess like this. 

Sounds like a reasonable plan though FWIW.

8 minutes ago, bomont said:

This is exactly why I wouldn't be in a league where you can trade future picks. Intentionally or not, someone can trade them away then if they quit the next year you get a mess like this. 

Sounds like a reasonable plan though FWIW.

It’s a reasonable plan to give himself a stud to pick at 1.01?   I’d be apt to quit entirely if the commish started monkeying around with rosters like this.   

The best leagues, imo,  are ones with the most freedom to trade future picks.   But you have to account for this.     Any trading of future assets requires the owners involved to pay for the year they trade.    So if they bail-  it’s a free entry for the replacement who has to clean up the mess. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BrianM said:

8 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

It’s a reasonable plan to give himself a stud to pick at 1.01?   I’d be apt to quit entirely if the commish started monkeying around with rosters like this.

Owww.. I'd missed that (unless it was a late edit). Ok, you cannot mess with those teams in that case. That's going to be too weird, and as you said, borderline collusion (even if you meant well).

One idea @BrianM would be to make keepers count as picks.  

Keeper 1 counts as your first round pick

Keeper 2 counts as your second round pick

Keeper 3- third round pick 

anyone who chooses not to keep 3 gets a pick instead.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Man that sounds like a nightmare to sort out 

Edited by Savatage79

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

A top 5 rb

top 3 wr 

and every pick except 4th rounder 

This is a tough sell?

He can't keep Gordon AND Thomas.    Both are first round keepers.   He could acquire a 2nd first round pick but that's gonna cost a fortune, never been done.     That likely clears up the confusion.     I honestly believe this particular guy quit because he was at the end of his window- he'd been keeping both guys since Thomas's 2nd year but Thomas's price went up to first rounder now.   

Edited by BrianM
  • Like 1

Another possibility is tinkering with the draft picks.   If those keepers are nearly equal, I can shuffle picks between the two teams so there's no advantage there, and it wouldn't affect anyone else, only A and B's picks are potentially changed slightly.  

All of this is going to get league approval either way, just wanted some independent eyes on it first.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BrianM said:

He can't keep Gordon AND Thomas.    Both are first round keepers.   He could acquire a 2nd first round pick but that's gonna cost a fortune, never been done.     That likely clears up the confusion.     I honestly believe this particular guy quit because he was at the end of his window- he'd been keeping both guys since Thomas's 2nd year but Thomas's price went up to first rounder now.   

Ah yes- the details emerge.    That would indeed be a tougher sell to a new owner.    But id imagine other teams are constantly wrestling with rising prospects as well.    Your second idea sounds much better.    Avoid the appearance of the commish gaining a major asset in this transition. 

Posted (edited)

Well im getting the asset no matter what, but it would've been that way even if the original owners returned, unless they find trade partners for the guys they can't keep.   That's not an easy thing to do- 7 or 8 out of 12 are already keeping first rounders, are the rest really gonna trade away picks and the opportunity cost of not keeping a lesser player?    Of the 4 or 5 of us who aren't keeping a first round player, we all have good lower round guys, so the opportunity cost of jetting a valuable cheapie factors in too.    

IE for one owner (not me):  Keep Chris Godwin for a 10th, and retain my first rounder, still likely getting a top 20 player there, or trade away something to get LeVeon Bell, and i dont have that first rounder now, also down an extra pick, and I can't keep Godwin, who I maybe can trade away but maybe not.   

The keepers are pretty balanced- maybe one guy lacks three obvious ones, and he still has Hopkins at least.   The design of the league makes it hard to keep two studs.  Every player drafted in rounds 1 or 2 is a first round keeper the next year, that loosens up a lot of good guys.   

Edited by BrianM
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Well im getting the asset no matter what, but it would've been that way even if the original owners returned, unless they find trade partners for the guys they can't keep.   That's not an easy thing to do- 7 or 8 out of 12 are already keeping first rounders, are the rest really gonna trade away picks and the opportunity cost of not keeping a lesser player?    Of the 4 or 5 of us who aren't keeping a first round player, we all have good lower round guys, so the opportunity cost of jetting a valuable cheapie factors in too.    

IE for one owner (not me):  Keep Chris Godwin for a 10th, and retain my first rounder, still likely getting a top 20 player there, or trade away something to get LeVeon Bell, and i dont have that first rounder now, also down an extra pick, and I can't keep Godwin, who I maybe can trade away but maybe not.   

The keepers are pretty balanced- maybe one guy lacks three obvious ones, and he still has Hopkins at least.   The design of the league makes it hard to keep two studs.  Every player drafted in rounds 1 or 2 is a first round keeper the next year, that loosens up a lot of good guys.   

much different knowing you would have been drafting MT or Hop either way.   The guy bailed BECAUSE he was losing a prime keeper.       

Tough to explain it all, i know i could do a better job.   The key point is here:  Are these two rosters equal or close?

A: McCaffrey (1st), Kupp (8th), McDonald (10th), no 3rd, 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick.  Two 8th's, 3 11th's, 2 12th's  

B: Lockett (10th), White (7th), MG3/Thomas/Bell (1st, only one), no 4th round pick.   Two 9th's