CooL

Commisioner's Corner 2019

3 hours ago, bomont said:

This is exactly why I wouldn't be in a league where you can trade future picks. Intentionally or not, someone can trade them away then if they quit the next year you get a mess like this. 

This is year 6 of the league, and the fourth straight year i'm recruiting a new owner.   One year was an expansion year at least. 

40 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Tough to explain it all, i know i could do a better job.   The key point is here:  Are these two rosters equal or close?

A: McCaffrey (1st), Kupp (8th), McDonald (10th), no 3rd, 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick.  Two 8th's, 3 11th's, 2 12th's  

B: Lockett (10th), White (7th), MG3/Thomas/Bell (1st, only one), no 4th round pick.   Two 9th's

I might be in the minority, but I'd prefer team B.  Team A has no 3,5,6, or 7th round pick.  That's tough.  Kupp is easily replaceable and Vance is just a dart throw like all the tight ends.  At least with Team B, you get all your picks except the 4th rounder. 

I think in any league that allows trading of future draft picks, the owner should be required to put down next year's entry fee as collateral.  You quit, then you're forfeiting your entry fee.  Maybe take half that fee and put it towards the prize pool for the upcoming season and allow the new owner to play at a reduced cost as sort of a payback for taking on a potentially crappy team.

I know some leagues would just find owners to takeover teams, and whatever the situation is, it is.  I think it's highly unusual to try to balance orphaned teams - it's not fair to the remaining established guys in the league.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, CooL said:

I might be in the minority, but I'd prefer team B.  Team A has no 3,5,6, or 7th round pick.  That's tough.  Kupp is easily replaceable and Vance is just a dart throw like all the tight ends.  At least with Team B, you get all your picks except the 4th rounder. 

I think in any league that allows trading of future draft picks, the owner should be required to put down next year's entry fee as collateral.  You quit, then you're forfeiting your entry fee.  Maybe take half that fee and put it towards the prize pool for the upcoming season and allow the new owner to play at a reduced cost as sort of a payback for taking on a potentially crappy team.

I know some leagues would just find owners to takeover teams, and whatever the situation is, it is.  I think it's highly unusual to try to balance orphaned teams - it's not fair to the remaining established guys in the league.

Not much to add, I am just chiming in to praise the outstanding use of the phrase "orphaned teams."  I am so going to steal that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrianM said:

spacer.png

I was going to laugh at this gif, but then I kinda cried inside instead.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, BrianM said:

I run a 12 team keeper league (keep 3 guys yearly).    Two players have opted out for next year.   

DISCLOSURE- I own the first overall pick.   The clear lead dog for that choice will be whomever of these first rounders is not kept- almost certain that I'll take Gordon or Thomas there barring injuries.   I have to be careful not to collude there. 

Don't over think this. Sell it as is. If you can't find anyone in late August start hitting the panic button. But it's early July. If you put any bit of effort in this and your league is good you can fill it easy I bet. 

12 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Why not just find new owners to take on the teams as is?   I don’t understand the point of distributing picks and players around.    Maybe I missed something 

Agreed here 100%. You start getting cute I'm gonna get peeved. Sell the team as is. 

11 hours ago, bomont said:

This is exactly why I wouldn't be in a league where you can trade future picks. Intentionally or not, someone can trade them away then if they quit the next year you get a mess like this. 

Sounds like a reasonable plan though FWIW.

It's a complete non factor. 

I've had 3 replacements needed over the years in mine. 1 text. 5 minutes. Filled. 3x.

My brother in law hosts a hockey league that has blind bids to become the next replacement team. Last time a replacement was picked they put in a blind bid of $250 to join the league. All that money went toward the league. 

In keepers and dynasties there's 0 teams that are gonna be fully intact with picks , but they are easily replaced. 

8 hours ago, BrianM said:

Tough to explain it all, i know i could do a better job.   The key point is here:  Are these two rosters equal or close?

A: McCaffrey (1st), Kupp (8th), McDonald (10th), no 3rd, 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick.  Two 8th's, 3 11th's, 2 12th's  

B: Lockett (10th), White (7th), MG3/Thomas/Bell (1st, only one), no 4th round pick.   Two 9th's

Live league with friends or Internet league with strangers? 

10 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Live league with friends or Internet league with strangers? 

Live, not close friends, basically guys I used to hang with that I see just in summer for fantasy and that's pretty much it.    From January through July, they barely exist. 

Its been a tricky venture to fill spots in the past few years.   I have maybe 4-5 close friends that are fantasy maniacs.  They all play in 4-5 other leagues already  (mine's a bit newer).    Casuals tend to reject the complexity, other casuals joined and quit when they realized they were overmatched.    Lastly, others have rejected because they dont like coming in at a disadvantage.  Last year I needed one owner who's only good keepers were Ajayi (6th) and Howard (8th) and i literally filled the spot with 5 days to go.   

Quite frankly, if i tried to sell this as 2 people just have to inherit the roster directly, whomever actually agrees to get the lesser roster is someone I seriously doubt their judgment.    I've already had a couple people come in as replacements and go right back out the door within a year.    What response do i have when i get the question of "why does he get the better roster and I get dog****?"

10 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I've had 3 replacements needed over the years in mine. 1 text. 5 minutes. Filled. 3x.

I am very envious of this.    This year, we quickly got one of the two guys, at least.

I must also add that I'm choosey about who I ask.    If i think someone will suck, there's no point.   They'll fart their way through a season or two, leave behind trash, and quit.   

45 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Live, not close friends, basically guys I used to hang with that I see just in summer for fantasy and that's pretty much it.    From January through July, they barely exist. 

Its been a tricky venture to fill spots in the past few years.   I have maybe 4-5 close friends that are fantasy maniacs.  They all play in 4-5 other leagues already  (mine's a bit newer).    Casuals tend to reject the complexity, other casuals joined and quit when they realized they were overmatched.    Lastly, others have rejected because they dont like coming in at a disadvantage.  Last year I needed one owner who's only good keepers were Ajayi (6th) and Howard (8th) and i literally filled the spot with 5 days to go.   

Quite frankly, if i tried to sell this as 2 people just have to inherit the roster directly, whomever actually agrees to get the lesser roster is someone I seriously doubt their judgment.    I've already had a couple people come in as replacements and go right back out the door within a year.    What response do i have when i get the question of "why does he get the better roster and I get dog****?"

It’s a quagmire to navigate for sure.   Don’t want to take assets from your valued owners who have worked hard to earn them...and don’t want to keep cycling trash owners.    You need a guy like @Dreams And Dwightmares or myself who enjoys the process of turning a bad team into gold.   It’s not for everyone.   

I wish you luck.   Another option is to turn it into a 10 team league and supplemental draft/lottery.  

• Like 1

Definitely going to institute the prepay rule for next year.   You trade away high picks during the season, you pay for next season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrianM said:

Well the mere fact that it is friends, even if they are casual acquaintances, makes it a lot tighter and closer than just a group of random internet people that you have never met.  So there must be at least a little sense of culture and tradition.  I'm sure that somebody in your league would have a buddy or co-worker that would want to join. As I said earlier, I don't agree with trying to adjust the teams.  If you have a good league, people should want to play in it and will take any opportunity.  Are your keepers at least limited in some fashion?  Meaning, increasing draft round cost year after year, can only keep for one year, etc.?  If the new owner knew that they just have to ride it out one year or so, and then get a better chance the following, it would be an easier sell, especially if the entry fee is reduced. 

Taking over a crappy dynasty league team however is a different scenario.

Keepers are forever, but the cost rises.    Minimum 10th round.   For year one, you keep at drafted round plus 1.   Every year after, plus 2.     Keep 3 guys per season.   Draft is in order of finish for the first 5 rounds, so you can't get first overall without trading or missing the playoffs.  

3 hours ago, BrianM said:

Unless they've never heard of keeper or dynasty they should understand this is how things are. Only redraft leagues everyone starts the same. And dominant dynasty / keeper league openings are generally few and far between. 

3 hours ago, BrianM said:

I am very envious of this.    This year, we quickly got one of the two guys, at least.

I must also add that I'm choosey about who I ask.    If i think someone will suck, there's no point.   They'll fart their way through a season or two, leave behind trash, and quit.   

Creating a waiting list I feel is a very psychological thing that makes people want to be a part of something. 

Always try to subtly brag about your league and emphasize the wait list to people. 

This will make them believe the league is awesome, and might cause them to inquire about joining the wait list. 

I find it's similar to the psychology of velvet ropes outside of clubs. 2 clubs next to each other. One has velvet ropes and people waiting, the other has someone outside with flyers begging you to go inside. It's just natural that many would choose thr velvet ropes line because they believe it's better. 

My 3 calls / text messages were to the #1 person on the wait list who was very excited that the opening was finally there. Didn't even question the trash they were inheriting. 

Psychological warfare is a necessity. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BrianM said:

What response do i have when i get the question of "why does he get the better roster and I get dog****?"

Same response I always give in the league I run if I have multiple rosters to fill: first come, first serve. The guy that agrees to join first gets first pick. Any active league I've joined has done the same, and I've grabbed a couple of crappy rosters and turned them around. It can be done...just need someone who's willing to work through it. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 4:41 PM, Flyman75 said:

Same response I always give in the league I run if I have multiple rosters to fill: first come, first serve. The guy that agrees to join first gets first pick. Any active league I've joined has done the same, and I've grabbed a couple of crappy rosters and turned them around. It can be done...just need someone who's willing to work through it. 

X2.

One year we had 3 owners leave, and we did a supplemental keeper draft for the 3 new owners with the remaining available players.

Does anyone have any rules that aren't fairly common (outside of general stuff like start 2 QBs)?  A few examples:

• subtract pts for missed FGs
  • positional maximums for the bench
  • unique scoring 
  • subtract pts for player getting arrested 

41 minutes ago, bomont said:

Does anyone have any rules that aren't fairly common (outside of general stuff like start 2 QBs)?  A few examples:

• unique scoring 

The last sounds like an interesting rule, if a bit unnecessary. I can guarantee you Hunt owners were pretty upset anyway last season.

My friends league generally has some wacky settings, including last season:

- .35 ppc (carry) and .4 ppr

- .35 points/.3 negative points for QB completions/incompletions

- pat made/Pat missed

Etc. I've built my cheat sheets super flexible to deal with any new ridiculousness :)

1 hour ago, bomont said:

• unique scoring 

Safety worth - 4 for Defense. Currently only worth 2 even though it scores 2 points and is in fact a turnover (which scores 2 points for defense in my leagues) 

-1 for missed kicks 39 and under. Kicks worth yardage 40-49 = 4, etc.

20 return yards = 1 point for individual return man and 6 points for TD. D/ST is stripped of scoring points for any returns. 

QBs score 6 points for passing TD and - 3 for INT. 

Playoffs weeks 14-16. Week 17 eliminated. 

Bonuses for yardage milestones, etc. 

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

The last sounds like an interesting rule, if a bit unnecessary. I can guarantee you Hunt owners were pretty upset anyway last season.

My friends league generally has some wacky settings, including last season:

- .35 ppc (carry) and .4 ppr

I hate fractional scoring! Seeing scores like 101.2 to 93.1 is just annoying. Round numbers please.

33 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Safety worth - 4 for Defense.

?

You mean 4 I assume not -4? We do the same. 2 pts makes no sense because they're so hard to get, they should be worth even more I think.

11 minutes ago, bomont said:

I hate fractional scoring! Seeing scores like 101.2 to 93.1 is just annoying. Round numbers please.

Well, that's a very good point of course, and not fixable in any way.

tenor.gif

50 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Well, that's a very good point of course, and not fixable in any way.

Whatever. 

7 hours ago, bomont said:

?

You mean 4 I assume not -4? We do the same. 2 pts makes no sense because they're so hard to get, they should be worth even more I think.

Yeah, accurate scoring is the worst. Let's make a 9 yard run worth 0.

• Haha 1

How many games have you won/lost by a fraction of a point?

1 hour ago, bomont said:

How many games have you won/lost by a fraction of a point?

Non-decimal scoring just increases the luck factor. I think most in here prefer the opposite

• Like 1