CooL

Commisioner's Corner 2019

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

Non-decimal scoring just increases the luck factor. I think most in here prefer the opposite

It also increases the likelihood of a tie game as well. 

In my league which has 10 years of history we had no decimal scoring for the first 3 seasons. In those 3 seasons we had 3 ties, in the 7 seasons that have followed, 0 ties.

Edited by Shake

13 hours ago, bomont said:

I hate fractional scoring! Seeing scores like 101.2 to 93.1 is just annoying. Round numbers please  

Yeah, I couldn’t disagree with you more on this. 

2 hours ago, bomont said:

How many games have you won/lost by a fraction of a point?

I have seen it literally happen many times in my leagues. As a matter of fact, a few years ago, a guy in one of my leagues lost a match by like 0.2 or 0.3...that one loss cost him the playoffs. 

I’ve won and lost by less than a point a few times, and I’ve seen it happen to others several times. 

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

Yeah, I couldn’t disagree with you more on this. 

No one here agrees with that.

2 hours ago, Shake said:

It also increases the likelihood of a tie game as well. 

In my league which has 10 years of history we had no decimal scoring for the first 3 seasons. In those 3 seasons we had 3 ties, in the 7 seasons that have followed, 0 ties.

2 years ago we had 2 ties WITH fractional scoring. One was in the playoffs and the Yahoo tiebreaker is just higher seed. Dude was pissed.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, bomont said:

I saw a guy lose by 0.02 on a last second defensive touchdown. It cost him the playoffs. It was glorious 

Edited by Stonej14

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I have seen it literally happen many times in my leagues. As a matter of fact, a few years ago, a guy in one of my leagues lost a match by like 0.2 or 0.3...that one loss cost him the playoffs. 

I’ve won and lost by less than a point a few times, and I’ve seen it happen to others several times. 

Same here.   Happened a handful of times across my leagues last season. Even had a tie in a fractional league- that was a first.  

The problem with non fractional is making that 10th yard so much more important than the 9 before it.   89 yards shouldn’t be worth an entire point less than 90.   

Edited by Impreza178

7 hours ago, bomont said:

A lot.  Yahoo locks our record books in the offseason for some reason so I can't look up exact numbers but I remember one game 2 years ago someone won by 0.01.

Not exagerating.  0.01

49 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

A lot.  Yahoo locks our record books in the offseason for some reason so I can't look up exact numbers but I remember one game 2 years ago someone won by 0.01.

Not exagerating.  0.01

Yep. I don't think I've seen as low as 0.01, but I've definitely seen less than 0.10. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Yahoo locks our record books in the offseason for some reason so I can't look up exact numbers but I remember one game 2 years ago someone won by 0.01

You need to go straight to your profile (you need to have this bookmarked somewhere I think), and from there you can go your history, then to a specific league/year, and then you can actually access draft, schedule, settings, standings, pretty much anything you need. It's a bit dumb, but no-one ever accused Yahoo of being smart.

Edited by Boudewijn

8 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Not exagerating.  0.01

Here's the biggest statistical anomaly I've ever seen:

The very first year I went to fractional scoring, I did it in my 56 team league. That year, there were 7 games in the entire league decided by one point or less. Of those 7 games, 5 of them were the same team.

I like fractional scoring, but not because I hate ties. As commish, I actually like a tie now and then, because it helps you to avoid going to tiebreakers in the standings.

56 minutes ago, andypro77 said:

I did it in my 56 team league.

Sorry, is that a typo, or you actually rostered 800+ players??

tenor.gif

16 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

I saw a guy lose by 0.02 on a last second defensive touchdown. It cost him the playoffs. It was glorious 

I remeber a post on twitter from a fantasy analyst where he lost on an Aaron Rodgers kneel because he got -3 rush yards (equals -0.3 points). It was the final play of the matchup and he lost by -0.1. 😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thebadferret said:

I remeber a post on twitter from a fantasy analyst where he lost on an Aaron Rodgers kneel because he got -3 rush yards (equals -0.3 points). It was the final play of the matchup and he lost by -0.1. 😂

I lost a 1200$ final on a scoring change of .5

We've all had that fractional yikes moment, but its the fairest way to do it.   As much as it sucks to say "i lost bc my QB kneeled and i lost .2", you kinda know those are part of the game, so live with it.   To me, its worse to say "I lost by .5 because TY Hilton got up to only 119 yards with his last garbage time catch on Sunday night"

11 hours ago, andypro77 said:

Here's the biggest statistical anomaly I've ever seen:

The very first year I went to fractional scoring, I did it in my 56 team league. That year, there were 7 games in the entire league decided by one point or less. Of those 7 games, 5 of them were the same team.

I like fractional scoring, but not because I hate ties. As commish, I actually like a tie now and then, because it helps you to avoid going to tiebreakers in the standings.

I hate ties. 

We've never had one in (combined) 22 years for a 14 and 12 man league. We've had 0.01 and I think 0.03, but never a tie. 

Just now, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I hate ties. 

We've never had one in (combined) 22 years for a 14 and 12 man league. We've had 0.01 and I think 0.03, but never a tie. 

Ties in my main league are terrible.   It goes to bench scoring.  So if you've got players on bye or the other guy has a second QB, you're screwed.  Way too arbitrary imo.

And there's no decimal scoring.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, andypro77 said:

10 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

We need some answers here

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, smeeze said:

It's probably one of those conference leagues. My buddies in one. Tried to get me to sign up, but I'm done trying new leagues out. 

His was 4 - 14 man leagues. So each individual 14 man league was your standard players. Then division or conference 2, 3, and 4 could duplicate them. 

So during regular season you never played against same players but in the playoffs you would see same exact players playing against each other. 

It could have been a typo though lol. I just know I've seen 56 before. 

• Like 2

On 7/15/2019 at 1:21 PM, smeeze said:
On 7/15/2019 at 1:27 AM, andypro77 said:

On 7/15/2019 at 2:27 AM, Boudewijn said:

Sorry, I didn't realize people were talking about this.

It's 4 separate league of 14 teams each. Each league has it's own draft, playoffs, champ, etc. But, we also have a Survivor game (lowest scores eliminated) for all 56 teams. Whoever wins that is THE League Champ. So there is one overall league champ of all 56 teams based on the Survivor game, and there's also 4 individual league champs based on the usual.  The league is called the Survivor Series.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, andypro77 said:

Sorry, I didn't realize people were talking about this.

It's 4 separate league of 14 teams each. Each league has it's own draft, playoffs, champ, etc. But, we also have a Survivor game (lowest scores eliminated) for all 56 teams. Whoever wins that is THE League Champ. So there is one overall league champ of all 56 teams based on the Survivor game, and there's also 4 individual league champs based on the usual.  The league is called the Survivor Series.

Ok, so it's 4*14, that seems more reasonable.

I take it the Survivor champ isn't necessarily a league champ (and generally won't be)?

Posted (edited)

First time poster here.  Looking for some advice on non typical league settings. Stumbled across this idea.  Please advise thoughts on this. I'm most interested in whether you think counteroffers should be posted on public league message board or kept private until accepted. 

Allow public counteroffers for trades

Once two teams come to an agreement on a trade, the commissioner notifies all the other owners, who will then have a 24-hour window to try to beat the offers. Once that trade is accepted, it goes up for counteroffers, too. 

Edited by JCJC4141
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JCJC4141 said:

First time poster here.  Looking for some advice on non typical league settings. Stumbled across this idea.  Please advise thoughts on this. I'm most interested in whether you think counteroffers should be posted on public league message board or kept private until accepted. 

Once two teams come to an agreement on a trade, the commissioner notifies all the other owners, who will then have a 24-hour window to try to beat the offers. Once that trade is accepted, it goes up for counteroffers, too. 

More explanation would be good, but my initial reaction is that it just doesn’t sound right to me. 

Edited by Flyman75

28 minutes ago, JCJC4141 said:

Nah, trading is hard enough without setting up this artificial barrier.

Also one of the players involved in the deal could be injured or released during the waiting period.

Plus I can see a lot of bickering and arguing over the value of the other counter-proposals.

The answer is not to try to legislate fair trades.  The answer is to stack your league with competitive, competent team managers.  Then they will make fair trades based on the way they each value their own players and the players they are trading for.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 9:38 AM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I hate ties. 

I try to make my league mirror the actual NFL as closely as can be done.  And, in the NFL, there are a few ties during the regular season every year.  And, the final scores in NFL games have no decibals in them.

• Like 2