CooL

Commisioner's Corner 2019

On 7/14/2019 at 3:48 PM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

A lot.  Yahoo locks our record books in the offseason for some reason so I can't look up exact numbers but I remember one game 2 years ago someone won by 0.01.

Not exagerating.  0.01

Oh yes, we too have had several matchups over the years decided by 0.01 and 0.02. Talk about the sweet taste of victory and the devastating agony of defeat. 

I don’t like that counteroffer idea at all. Does it happen in the real NFL? Teams announce a trade and then the rest of the league tries to beat it? Division rivals would just try to swoop in and make a trade to block their rival?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I try to make my league mirror the actual NFL as closely as can be done.  And, in the NFL, there are a few ties during the regular season every year.  And, the final scores in NFL games have no decibals in them.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, JCJC4141 said:

First time poster here.  Looking for some advice on non typical league settings. Stumbled across this idea.  Please advise thoughts on this. I'm most interested in whether you think counteroffers should be posted on public league message board or kept private until accepted. 

Allow public counteroffers for trades

Once two teams come to an agreement on a trade, the commissioner notifies all the other owners, who will then have a 24-hour window to try to beat the offers. Once that trade is accepted, it goes up for counteroffers, too. 

Stupid idea.

Guy that exploits another should be rewarded. It takes a lot of time and energy to set up a good ole fashioned TRAPE. 

You give everyone that's too lazy the opportunity to see a situation and exploit it then it diminishes all the hard work the other person put in to accomplish it. 

PLUS TRAPES create a fire in the league that gets everyone in a Frenzy and makes your league more involved and stronger. It's bad for both the league and the idea of working for a trade. 

If I was in your league I'd never do anything but counter offer trades. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Ok, so it's 4*14, that seems more reasonable.

I take it the Survivor champ isn't necessarily a league champ (and generally won't be)?

This is only year 4. The last two seasons, the runaway best team, overall scoring champ, etc was the Survivor champ and also won their league. The other year, the team that was in the dead middle of the pack in scoring somehow won the Survivor and I don't think he even made the playoffs (6 make out of 14) in their league.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I try to make my league mirror the actual NFL as closely as can be done.  And, in the NFL, there are a few ties during the regular season every year.  And, the final scores in NFL games have no decibals in them.

That's good for those with sensitive hearing :D . Although it would suck to watch an NFL game in silence. 

I'm not worried about mirroring the actual NFL. That's not the purpose of fantasy football, to me. So not only am I good with decimals in FF, I prefer them. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I'm not worried about mirroring the actual NFL.

I just want to know who's playing Goodell in his league

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Yeah that’s because the NFL doesn’t give teams points for yards or catches or sacks and interceptions.  It doesn’t make sense to try to compare fantasy football to real football.  It also doesn’t make sense to count 10 yards and 19 yards as 1 point, and 9 yards and 0 yards as 0 points.

• Like 1

You decimal people are pretty stuck in your ways.  Well, knock yourselves out.  If you want to use decimal scoring, use decimal scoring.  

• Like 2

There's no right or wrong regarding decimal scoring.  To each league their own.  If there's a huge uproar to change the format, then the league can vote on it.  Simple as that.

I think everyone becomes accustomed to doing things the way they've always been doing them, and they can't see any other way to do things.  My league changed from rolling waivers to FAAB several years ago.  Wasn't a popular suggestion.  Took a lot of convincing on why it was better.  League barely ratified the change when it was put to a vote.  Now?  People love it and can't believe we did it the old stupid rolling priority for all those years. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

You decimal people are pretty stuck in your ways.  Well, knock yourselves out.  If you want to use decimal scoring, use decimal scoring.  

You anti-decimal people are pretty stuck in your ways.  Well, knock yourselves out.  If you don't want to use decimal scoring, don't use decimal scoring.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CooL said:

There's no right or wrong regarding decimal scoring.  To each league their own.  If there's a huge uproar to change the format, then the league can vote on it.  Simple as that.

There is no right or wrong. But it is a factual statement that decimal scoring is more accurate. Most people prefer less luck and more accuracy.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

You anti-decimal people are pretty stuck in your ways.  Well, knock yourselves out.  If you don't want to use decimal scoring, don't use decimal scoring.  

I'm sure they refuse to pay 9.95 and give only $9 dollar instead. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 8:27 AM, CooL said:

I think everyone becomes accustomed to doing things the way they've always been doing them, and they can't see any other way to do things.  My league changed from rolling waivers to FAAB several years ago.  Wasn't a popular suggestion.  Took a lot of convincing on why it was better.  League barely ratified the change when it was put to a vote.  Now?  People love it and can't believe we did it the old stupid rolling priority for all those years. 

My league has evolved slowly but profoundly over the years.  Biggest change was switching to auction in 2012.  It narrowly passed by one vote but no one wants to go back to snake now.

On 7/21/2019 at 1:24 AM, SharkSwimmer said:

It's a mix and if people want that extreme pinpoint accuracy, fine, we just think decibel scoring looks really stupid and those razor thin scores are rare enough it doesn't matter. 

As for being like the NFL, it's just a question of degree. Obviously fantasy mirrors the actual NFL in many ways, but not in many other ways. To each their own. We aren't stupid enough (despite many stupid moments, starting on draft day) to think that our way is "the" way. Just works for us.

2 hours ago, bomont said:

decibel scoring looks really stupid

I think we all agree with this. I think the Seahawks win that every season anyway.

• Like 2

Looks like we need to have a definitions differentiating between decimal and decibel. Lol. Who knew discussing whether we should use whole number scoring or not would lead to a vocab test? 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Looks like we need to have a definitions differentiating between decimal and decibel.

It's hard to decipher and decide between decimals and decibels. It may seem only decimetres, but it is deciduous and could decimate your team.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Quick poll - return yards as a scoring category; yes or no?  And why? 

Return yards?  Nope.  Tried it once, didn't like it.  Scrubs who return 3 KO and a punt outscore the WR1.

This is what happens when your other hobby is building a home studio. sigh.

I'm still not using dec.....decib......demi.........uhhh not whole number scoring.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bomont said:

This is what happens when your other hobby is building a home studio. sigh.

I'm still not using dec.....decib......demi.........uhhh not whole number scoring.

Ohhhhhhhh... well done. Send me a PM if you want to show off what you're doing!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jumper said:

Quick poll - return yards as a scoring category; yes or no?  And why? 

Yes. Do it so it makes a decent impact but not huge impact and use it to exploit your league. 

Eliminate return TD's from team defenses. 

For individuals make 20 return yards = 1 point. 6 point TD's. 

If you start a return guy only you get like 4-5 points AKA worthless. 

But if you draft a guy like Tyler lockett he's good for 3-4 extra points per game (unless he gets a return TD). 

You can exploit this whenever many in your league see Tyler lockett as #42 overall rank or whatever but you know he should be closer to 30 and so you draft him and get value on that 42 perception. 

Does anyone out there know how to stop YouTube recommended videos from showing up after you watch a video? 

I'm a Commish and I like putting all types of video content in our league to keep things interesting and keep everyone engaged during the season.  But sometimes I watch player draft and season content I don't want anyone else to find out about.    

There use to be a box you could select within the share video feature that gave you the option to stop recommended videos from showing up after you watch a video.

Can anyone out there help? 

7 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Does anyone out there know how to stop YouTube recommended videos from showing up after you watch a video? 

I'm a Commish and I like putting all types of video content in our league to keep things interesting and keep everyone engaged during the season.  But sometimes I watch player draft and season content I don't want anyone else to find out about.    

There use to be a box you could select within the share video feature that gave you the option to stop recommended videos from showing up after you watch a video.

Can anyone out there help? 

Wouldn’t the recommendations that are showing up for your league mates be based on their viewing history and not be impacted by videos you have viewed?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your question. 

41 minutes ago, gufomel said:

Wouldn’t the recommendations that are showing up for your league mates be based on their viewing history and not be impacted by videos you have viewed?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your question. 

To my knowledge, the recommended videos they see are based on my viewing history.  

However you may be correct.  It's something I'll have to look into and find out if recommended videos are based on their viewing history and not mine.