CooL

Commisioner's Corner 2019

1 hour ago, theSPANKER said:

Does anyone out there know how to stop YouTube recommended videos from showing up after you watch a video? 

I'm a Commish and I like putting all types of video content in our league to keep things interesting and keep everyone engaged during the season.  But sometimes I watch player draft and season content I don't want anyone else to find out about.    

There use to be a box you could select within the share video feature that gave you the option to stop recommended videos from showing up after you watch a video.

Can anyone out there help? 

I'm not sure how you are sharing the videos, but the easiest thing to do would be to just create a separate gmail/youtube account and use that account to post videos with. 

I did a search of this forum and did not see any one already covering this topic.  If I missed that it was already covered, sorry.

Anybody play double or triple headers each week in their scheduling??

A lot of times you end up playing an opponent that has a player that goes nuts (for ex. say LeGarrette Blount scoring 3 1-yd TD's last year for Detroit. I think he only had 5 TD's all year.) and you get beat as your opponent scores the most points that they will for the entire year.  If you played that opponent any other week of the season, your team would win.

We tried 'playing all' for a while, but coaches missed the trashing talking when going up against a specific opponent each week.

CBS allowed up to play two teams each week. So it took some of the sting out of playing the highest scoring team on a given week, as you had a chance to beat another team in the league on a given Sunday.

CBS is super expensive. Has anyone else found a fantasy software site that lets you play more than 1 team each week?  We would like to take some of the money CBS charges and get it back in the winners pool instead.

But so far, I haven't run into any software that allows this. - Thanks Rod

I don't think there's a free one that let's you do that. 

I know MFL you can do it also, but it's also a laid league and I think it might cost more than CBS. 

You'd have to Google prices honestly. Yahoo doesn't do that. I don't think sleeper does it YET, but if you tweet at them it seems they'll do anything anyone asks. 

6 hours ago, nonstopfan said:

I'm not sure how you are sharing the videos, but the easiest thing to do would be to just create a separate gmail/youtube account and use that account to post videos with. 

Great suggestion!  Why didn't I think of that?  Should solve the problem.

one of the players in my league cannot make or attend our live draft this year. In exchange he wants another manager, preferably his brother to draft for him. I as the commish said no, but a lot of people in the league are saying I should allow it. How would yall handle this situation?

21 minutes ago, spectrum3 said:

one of the players in my league cannot make or attend our live draft this year. In exchange he wants another manager, preferably his brother to draft for him. I as the commish said no, but a lot of people in the league are saying I should allow it. How would yall handle this situation?

Why would you not allow it?  I'd think you'd want to have every team represented in the draft. 

How would you handle it if there was no one there for that team?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, spectrum3 said:

Why would anyone care?

20 hours ago, rabaak said:

I did a search of this forum and did not see any one already covering this topic.  If I missed that it was already covered, sorry.

Anybody play double or triple headers each week in their scheduling??

A lot of times you end up playing an opponent that has a player that goes nuts (for ex. say LeGarrette Blount scoring 3 1-yd TD's last year for Detroit. I think he only had 5 TD's all year.) and you get beat as your opponent scores the most points that they will for the entire year.  If you played that opponent any other week of the season, your team would win.

We tried 'playing all' for a while, but coaches missed the trashing talking when going up against a specific opponent each week.

CBS allowed up to play two teams each week. So it took some of the sting out of playing the highest scoring team on a given week, as you had a chance to beat another team in the league on a given Sunday.

CBS is super expensive. Has anyone else found a fantasy software site that lets you play more than 1 team each week?  We would like to take some of the money CBS charges and get it back in the winners pool instead.

But so far, I haven't run into any software that allows this. - Thanks Rod

Just do it manually...

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, K197040 said:

Why would you not allow it?  I'd think you'd want to have every team represented in the draft. 

How would you handle it if there was no one there for that team?

every team is not necessarily represented, 2 teams are then represented by 1 manager. I should've mentioned his brother is an owner in the league too

Edited by spectrum3

2 minutes ago, spectrum3 said:

every team is not necessarily represented, 2 teams are then represented by 1 manager. I should've mentioned his brother is an owner in the league too

Of course every team is represented.  You just said it yourself: one manager represents two teams.  What do you propose happening?  Kicking him out of the league?

1 minute ago, KennyWoo said:

Of course every team is represented.  You just said it yourself: one manager represents two teams.  What do you propose happening?  Kicking him out of the league?

pick a ranking and auto-draft by it, or chose a person no currently in the league to draft for him?

7 minutes ago, spectrum3 said:

pick a ranking and auto-draft by it, or chose a person no currently in the league to draft for him?

Might be easiest of you just put it to a league vote and go with their decision.  

I wouldn't have an issue with this as a league member or Commish.

15 minutes ago, spectrum3 said:

Ah...that does change things a little for me.  I'd tell him to find a different proxy or he'll be auto drafted. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, spectrum3 said:

2 hours ago, K197040 said:

Ah...that does change things a little for me.  I'd tell him to find a different proxy or he'll be auto drafted. 

Okay, reading further messages does change it for me as well (as from the initial post, I didn't see any issue). But now that you've added the info that his brother (proxy) is already in the league, well that's a definite issue. I know for sure my leagues would not allow one person to draft for two different teams. I agree that he needs to find a different proxy.

Edited by Corleone
  • Like 1

To me this depends how hard-core you all are about fantasy and how much you trust him or his brother. Personally I wouldn't be wild about it but I wouldn't "forbid" it if he couldn't find anyone else, but then we all know each other well enough to trust other owners plus we're active owners but fantasy isn't life or death to us, we do it mostly for fun not the money or whatever. Drafting from an ADP seems fair, but unless you have some good software to handle that, would be a pain. 

3 hours ago, K197040 said:

X2

Ugh, g-d it.  The keeper i run drafts on Friday.   Keepers are due tonight at midnight (I'm EST) and some guy hasn't shared his yet.  Texted him at 6, he texts back at 7 with "Yeah i got em just got home hang on".    WTF.     

This league's been a challenge at times but never, ever, did anyone f--- with the keeper deadline.   The crap thing is, his keepers should be so obvious that he could've sent them any time this weekend (you can change up to the deadline should a guy get hurt) but nope.   I dont know this guy well enough to say he's not a moron, so I can't just assume.   

One of my biggest personal peeves is needing to figuratively pull teeth to get simple information, in any circumstance.   Gonna have to put a penalty in next year for this.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrianM said:

Ugh, g-d it.  The keeper i run drafts on Friday.   Keepers are due tonight at midnight (I'm EST) and some guy hasn't shared his yet.  Texted him at 6, he texts back at 7 with "Yeah i got em just got home hang on".    WTF.     

This league's been a challenge at times but never, ever, did anyone f--- with the keeper deadline.   The crap thing is, his keepers should be so obvious that he could've sent them any time this weekend (you can change up to the deadline should a guy get hurt) but nope.   I dont know this guy well enough to say he's not a moron, so I can't just assume.   

One of my biggest personal peeves is needing to figuratively pull teeth to get simple information, in any circumstance.   Gonna have to put a penalty in next year for this.   

You said the deadline is midnight EST. So it appears he still has about 30 minutes or so? What is the problem then? Not sure why you’re wanting to give this guy a penalty, he hasn’t violated any rules yet it would seem.

Yeah I have to agree, if he gets them in on time fine, if not, he missed out, his fault.

But I hear you, I've had my share of dip####s who screw around and wailt till the last second to take care of business. IMO leagues should be paid, draft dates agreed on etc not later than late July. If people screw around later, start looking for replacements. I get that people have a life but this takes some planning; do you want to do it or not? 

51 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I feel you man. I have a hard deadline on keeper declarations and 2 years in a row people just trying to be cute and F with me didn't declare on time.

Going 10 minutes to an hour over to be funny or whatever. 

I didn't do anything that year, but the next year I made deadline hard and told anyone they get penalized in the form of draft picks if they mess anything up. 

They played ball last year. We'll see this year. 

Had a proposal made at our draft for next year, would like feedback. 

Currently, we are 12 team, .5 PPR with starting rosters of QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FLEX (WR/RB/TE) and DEF + 5 bench spots

Proposal was to remove the DEF spot and add a Superflex (QB/WR/RB/TE) spot in its place.  Typically three QB's are drafted at a premium price ($26-$12) and the rest are single digit, many only for $2-3.   The QB position is clearly devalued currently, so this proposal would increase their value quite a bit and help to ease the pricing on some of the other positions as well, resulting in more flat pricing across the positions.  

Additionally, DEF is often a point of dissatisfaction among league members.  Half the league just streams them regularly and the other half just settles for mediocre or they just buy a top DEF and set it and forget it for the season, which isn't very strategic to spend $3 instead of $1 and not having to put in the effort of streaming for about the same results. 

Thoughts on Superflex in general, and also on the removal of DEF.  The two are not mutually exclusive, but both would be implemented in the next season at the same time.  

Posted (edited)

Also had another idea.  As an auction league, how can you effectively punish people who are late to the draft? 

Currently,I have been kind enough to hold the draft for people being late... but I am growing frustrated that grown adults can't show up to a draft they've known about for a month prior.

So, how to remedy this? 

Now, let me say that I've made it clear to the couple of people who were late this year (and one of them was late in 2017, as well) that being late is not acceptable and this will be the last time we allow it. Period. As in, arrive on time or you will not play at all.  BUT, I also don't want to suddenly be left with an 11 team league because some guy was 15 mins late to the draft, so I am looking for an alternative.

Three ideas I have

1) They just don't get to draft until they arrive. It's not exactly a great punishment since nominations aren't always the top players right away, and even then, the late person may not want to bid on them, and there's also the issue that they can come in 30 mins late and have $200 still and be price-enforcers on all the people who have spent money on a couple players which could be an advantage.  

2) Their auction budget is reduced as players are drafted, similar to being blinded off in poker. Say, $5 per player that is drafted before they arrive or $30 per round of nominations. This way there is a real punishment for being late the draft. You're not completely out of the league right away, but if you are late, you're going to be inconvenienced enough to make your team bad, which is an incentive to arrive on time and there's no possible advantage on budget over active bidders. 

3) The third option combines the second option with an entry fee penalty. They still don't get to draft until they arrive and their budget is reduced some amount as the draft progresses, but they also pay a penalty to the league, like another $20 entry (current entry is $65) which can be used as a prize for all the other on time drafters in the league, like first team to X wins or highest scoring team not in the playoffs, or a single week of the season where the top scoring team that week gets the prize.

Thoughts?  

Edited by jonasdash

In response to OP, one of the guys in my league got married a couple years ago and totally dropped off halfway through the season. So we had a supplemental draft and raided his team. It was awesome. When he finally checked back in towards the end of the season, he was like “what happened to all my good players?” Lol. But he took it in stride. We kept him for the next season (and ever since) with the understanding that he would have to take it seriously and stay engaged. Hasn’t been a problem for him or anyone else ever since, lol.

The guy in question has been a longtime member and friend, so we gave him the option to come back after having a little fun with his team. ;) But with people who have not been in the league very long (e.g., one or two years), it is just easier IMO to not invite them back and find a replacement. It’s never personal, just not as fun when not everyone is staying involved. If someone really gets too busy with life temporarily, co-managing teams is another viable option as others have suggested. Maybe this year the two guys who are slackers could co-manage a team. Then you could invite another more serious manager to play, and have only one weak team instead of two.

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I feel you man. I have a hard deadline on keeper declarations and 2 years in a row people just trying to be cute and F with me didn't declare on time.

Going 10 minutes to an hour over to be funny or whatever. 

I didn't do anything that year, but the next year I made deadline hard and told anyone they get penalized in the form of draft picks if they mess anything up. 

They played ball last year. We'll see this year. 

I don’t penalize them with picks, but I do warn people that if they don’t get their keepers in on time, all of their players will be released into the draft (and they’ll just get picks instead). If after the deadline passes, I’ll make one good faith attempt to contact them, but then that’s it. Hasn’t really been an issue in my league. Usually it’s just people getting back late from Labor Day weekend (since we usually do the draft the night before the season starts and Keepers are due on Monday).