CooL

Commisioner's Corner 2019

On 8/13/2019 at 12:24 PM, dmb3684 said:

Why would anyone care?

Same thought here. Just ask for his rankings ahead of the draft and have someone else pick for him. We’ve done that lots of times.

6 hours ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

I don’t penalize them with picks, but I do warn people that if they don’t get their keepers in on time, all of their players will be released into the draft (and they’ll just get picks instead). If after the deadline passes, I’ll make one good faith attempt to contact them, but then that’s it. Hasn’t really been an issue in my league. Usually it’s just people getting back late from Labor Day weekend (since we usually do the draft the night before the season starts and Keepers are due on Monday).

I'd quit your league if you dropped saquon Barkley and some other legit player back to the draft. 

No matter how guilty I was. 

I'd middle finger you and tell you to find a 24 hour replacement. 

Would I be wrong, absolutely. 

If you fine them making their 12th round pick last pick in the draft or something like that you will annoy them, send a message, but not break them into middle fingerling you and the league and quit to screwing everyone. 

Just my thoughts. 

• Thanks 1

Same thought here. Just ask for his rankings ahead of the draft and have someone else pick for him. We’ve done that lots of times.

The person reading the rankings would always know when they needed to reach on players to beat at least one other person to them. 

I've seen it. 

14 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

The person reading the rankings would always know when they needed to reach on players to beat at least one other person to them. 

I've seen it. 

We just hang up his rankings next to the draftboard for transparency purposes

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jonasdash said:

Had a proposal made at our draft for next year, would like feedback. 

Currently, we are 12 team, .5 PPR with starting rosters of QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FLEX (WR/RB/TE) and DEF + 5 bench spots

Proposal was to remove the DEF spot and add a Superflex (QB/WR/RB/TE) spot in its place.  Typically three QB's are drafted at a premium price ($26-$12) and the rest are single digit, many only for $2-3.   The QB position is clearly devalued currently, so this proposal would increase their value quite a bit and help to ease the pricing on some of the other positions as well, resulting in more flat pricing across the positions.  

Additionally, DEF is often a point of dissatisfaction among league members.  Half the league just streams them regularly and the other half just settles for mediocre or they just buy a top DEF and set it and forget it for the season, which isn't very strategic to spend $3 instead of $1 and not having to put in the effort of streaming for about the same results. 

Thoughts on Superflex in general, and also on the removal of DEF.  The two are not mutually exclusive, but both would be implemented in the next season at the same time.  

I play in a 10 team, 2 QB auction league and love it. As you are at 12 teams, I would definitely recommend the Superflex option. As you said, it increases the value of QB's. I would propose you add a bench spot though, since many owners will have 3 QB's. On the other side, I would keep Defense and increase scoring so that it is something people pay attention to. In the league I mentioned, we have scoring set up so that a really great defensive game can earn 40+ points (similar to other positions). Defense is a huge part of real football and we try to have that reflected in our lineups. One quick question - do you not use a kicker, as I didn't see that mentioned above? I know there are some leagues like that, but wasn't sure if it was just an oversight listing it or not. If you do already not have kicker and then were to remove defense as well, you would be missing two significant aspects of real football IMO. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I feel you man. I have a hard deadline on keeper declarations and 2 years in a row people just trying to be cute and F with me didn't declare on time.

Going 10 minutes to an hour over to be funny or whatever. 

I didn't do anything that year, but the next year I made deadline hard and told anyone they get penalized in the form of draft picks if they mess anything up. 

They played ball last year. We'll see this year. 

It was emailed out at 6 AM with an apology.   I'll probably let it go honestly, was mostly just venting last night- so ready to get this over with.  Still frustrating as hell

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I've seen it. 

So it's sort of like autodraft.  Which sucks for the owner but that's not your fault.  You can't "interpret" what he needs or when he needs to jump on a player, that's not how it should work. He'll end up with the highest ranked player on his board each turn.  So if he ends up with 3 QBs or 2 TEs or 2 kickers?  So be it.  He'll just have to correct it with the wire after the draft.  That's how it works when you're not present.

As far as the keeper selection deadline, in our league, if you miss the deadline, too bad.  There's maybe one reminder on the day of.  But that's it.  If you are one minute late, then you get no keepers for the year and the players are back in the pool.  Why do some people see that as bad?

• Like 1

Also had another idea.  As an auction league, how can you effectively punish people who are late to the draft? 

Currently,I have been kind enough to hold the draft for people being late... but I am growing frustrated that grown adults can't show up to a draft they've known about for a month prior.

So, how to remedy this? 

Now, let me say that I've made it clear to the couple of people who were late this year (and one of them was late in 2017, as well) that being late is not acceptable and this will be the last time we allow it. Period. As in, arrive on time or you will not play at all.  BUT, I also don't want to suddenly be left with an 11 team league because some guy was 15 mins late to the draft, so I am looking for an alternative.

Three ideas I have

1) They just don't get to draft until they arrive. It's not exactly a great punishment since nominations aren't always the top players right away, and even then, the late person may not want to bid on them, and there's also the issue that they can come in 30 mins late and have $200 still and be price-enforcers on all the people who have spent money on a couple players which could be an advantage.  

2) Their auction budget is reduced as players are drafted, similar to being blinded off in poker. Say, $5 per player that is drafted before they arrive or $30 per round of nominations. This way there is a real punishment for being late the draft. You're not completely out of the league right away, but if you are late, you're going to be inconvenienced enough to make your team bad, which is an incentive to arrive on time and there's no possible advantage on budget over active bidders. 

3) The third option combines the second option with an entry fee penalty. They still don't get to draft until they arrive and their budget is reduced some amount as the draft progresses, but they also pay a penalty to the league, like another $20 entry (current entry is $65) which can be used as a prize for all the other on time drafters in the league, like first team to X wins or highest scoring team not in the playoffs, or a single week of the season where the top scoring team that week gets the prize.

Thoughts?  

I kind of like option 2 here. 

• Like 1

Also had another idea.  As an auction league, how can you effectively punish people who are late to the draft? 

Currently,I have been kind enough to hold the draft for people being late... but I am growing frustrated that grown adults can't show up to a draft they've known about for a month prior.

So, how to remedy this? 

Now, let me say that I've made it clear to the couple of people who were late this year (and one of them was late in 2017, as well) that being late is not acceptable and this will be the last time we allow it. Period. As in, arrive on time or you will not play at all.  BUT, I also don't want to suddenly be left with an 11 team league because some guy was 15 mins late to the draft, so I am looking for an alternative.

Three ideas I have

1) They just don't get to draft until they arrive. It's not exactly a great punishment since nominations aren't always the top players right away, and even then, the late person may not want to bid on them, and there's also the issue that they can come in 30 mins late and have $200 still and be price-enforcers on all the people who have spent money on a couple players which could be an advantage.  

2) Their auction budget is reduced as players are drafted, similar to being blinded off in poker. Say, $5 per player that is drafted before they arrive or $30 per round of nominations. This way there is a real punishment for being late the draft. You're not completely out of the league right away, but if you are late, you're going to be inconvenienced enough to make your team bad, which is an incentive to arrive on time and there's no possible advantage on budget over active bidders. 

3) The third option combines the second option with an entry fee penalty. They still don't get to draft until they arrive and their budget is reduced some amount as the draft progresses, but they also pay a penalty to the league, like another $20 entry (current entry is $65) which can be used as a prize for all the other on time drafters in the league, like first team to X wins or highest scoring team not in the playoffs, or a single week of the season where the top scoring team that week gets the prize.

Thoughts?  

I think you wait a while, let them be late, collect their money, and pretend like its no big deal.   January 2nd, you boot them from the league.  Penalties make sense and are deserved, but its a pan to monitor that.    If you do insist on a penalty, i like the second one best.   The first disrupts the draft for everyone.  The second just f's over only the late guy.  The third is just a bit too complex for my liking.   

Alternative is to tell them the draft is an hour earlier than it actually is next time.   We had to do that for a certain friend.   Once he caught onto that, we sent a league member to his house pre-draft to literally drag him out of the house and drive him there.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CooL said:

You said the deadline is midnight EST. So it appears he still has about 30 minutes or so? What is the problem then? Not sure why you’re wanting to give this guy a penalty, he hasn’t violated any rules yet it would seem.

It was more frustrating because everyone else always has it in early.  Once preseason games are done the week prior, the next day means a few more trades then they lock in.   I was waiting only for the last guy for hours.    I also assumed at the time of the post that he was missing the deadline, i was right.   He did send it out first thing this AM.   Next year I'll just move up the deadline a couple hours so i can absolutely get the update out before sleepy time.  

27 minutes ago, BrianM said:

It was more frustrating because everyone else always has it in early.  Once preseason games are done the week prior, the next day means a few more trades then they lock in.   I was waiting only for the last guy for hours.    I also assumed at the time of the post that he was missing the deadline, i was right.   He did send it out first thing this AM.   Next year I'll just move up the deadline a couple hours so i can absolutely get the update out before sleepy time.  

That's really lenient.  As I said up above, if you miss the deadline in our league, you get no keepers.  Some great players have been thrown back in the pool in past years because of that.  There should be no excuse for missing a deadline.  Commish sends out maybe one or two reminders in the last week and that's it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, jonasdash said:

So, how to remedy this? 

Three ideas I have

Thoughts?  

I would handle it this way -

1.  This year, hold the draft for everyone who is late to the draft.

2.  Find out why they were late.  It could be a legitimate reasons, or it could be they were just inconsiderate.

3.  If the owner doesn't have a good reason (or is just consistently late, making his excuses not credible), then don't invite him to play the next year.  I wouldn't say anything to him until after the season is over.  If he asks why he didn't get an invite, tell him it's because he didn't respect other people's time for the auction.  If he wants to make some sort of reparation (say buying beer for everyone at the auction) to get back in, then consider it.

Edited by Brownsfan74
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, CooL said:

That's really lenient.  As I said up above, if you miss the deadline in our league, you get no keepers.  Some great players have been thrown back in the pool in past years because of that.  There should be no excuse for missing a deadline.  Commish sends out maybe one or two reminders in the last week and that's it.

Agree.  It's harsh but rules are rules and people have to act like grownups.  If you know the rule up front and you know the punishment, then you can't complain.  It's nobody's fault but your own.

3 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I'd quit your league if you dropped saquon Barkley and some other legit player back to the draft. 

No matter how guilty I was. 

I'd middle finger you and tell you to find a 24 hour replacement. 

Would I be wrong, absolutely. 

If you fine them making their 12th round pick last pick in the draft or something like that you will annoy them, send a message, but not break them into middle fingerling you and the league and quit to screwing everyone. 

Just my thoughts. 

Maybe it’s just the way we’re set up, but you’re only allowed 5 keepers and it’s a 10-team league, so there are always good players in the draft. I’ve let guys go who I was on the verge of keeping and still managed to draft them back in one of the early rounds. And if you don’t keep all 5 players, you’ll get an extra draft pick during the first 5 rounds of the draft for each player you don’t keep. So in this hypothetical scenario, you’d probably still have a good chance to pick up the guys who were released. We also don’t play for money, just bragging rights, and we’re all good friends, so that could be another factor. Thankfully there haven’t been any issues with that in my league.

3 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I've seen it. 

That’s true, and it requires the person helping them draft to be fair and ethical. There have been times when I was drafting for someone and their pick came up before mine, and I had to draft a player I really wanted onto their team because they were ranked higher than I had them. Just the way it goes sometimes. Tried to give them basically the same team they would’ve had if they were there. And just trying to help a friend, not gain an advantage or screw anyone over.

2 hours ago, CooL said:

So it's sort of like autodraft.  Which sucks for the owner but that's not your fault.  You can't "interpret" what he needs or when he needs to jump on a player, that's not how it should work. He'll end up with the highest ranked player on his board each turn.  So if he ends up with 3 QBs or 2 TEs or 2 kickers?  So be it.  He'll just have to correct it with the wire after the draft.  That's how it works when you're not present.

As far as the keeper selection deadline, in our league, if you miss the deadline, too bad.  There's maybe one reminder on the day of.  But that's it.  If you are one minute late, then you get no keepers for the year and the players are back in the pool.  Why do some people see that as bad?

Yep, exactly. One year, the guy didn’t rank enough offensive players, so I was drafting him IDPs he’d ranked by like the 5th round, lol. We will draft for you, but you may not like the team you wind up with, so always better to show up in person if at all possible. ;)

1st year on Yahoo. I'm the commish. I have a few questions:

1. I set up 3 divisions. I can see the 3 divisions in the standings on the desktop site but when using the app I cant see the 3 divisions. All 12 teams are in the same standing group. What am I doing wrong?

2. When do waiver players from get awarded? We are set up as FAAB. Can I change this?

@jonasdash

Going through your posts 1 by 1.

1) Super flex league is a completely different league. Lot of people like it, and you're correct it's definitely going to change the price point of players values in the auction from the RB's decreasing some to QBs increasing dramatically. 

I've experimented with many leagues online. Superflex is cool, I played 2 years online (low stakes) and went to 2 straight title games winning 1 and losing the other, but it's not for me really, I was bored. Respect to others that love it though. Make QBs a priority if you do it and want to win FYI. 

I still play with defense and I love it. I would prefer to never remove it, but a growing trend among fantasy footballers is the removal or kickers and team defenses. Just do what you and your league vote to go with and see if y'all like the decision and if you don't try to put up for vote and double back. 

2) Our draft starts when it starts. I'll wait a bit, but not putting 11 on hold for 1 type of thing. Not only would they miss the start, but I'd also hit them with a $10 budget penalty (slap on the wrist with $200 budget) but it sends small message that won't get me middle fingered with people last second quitting IMO. 

Good luck man. 

Thought I sent this out this morning. Guess not 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yep, exactly. One year, the guy didn’t rank enough offensive players, so I was drafting him IDPs he’d ranked by like the 5th round, lol. We will draft for you, but you may not like the team you wind up with, so always better to show up in person if at all possible. ;)

Yeah. I hear what you're saying but I'd definitely not pay for that team and would quit. 

I'd be 100% wrong, but I'd do it. I don't think I'm on an island either. Lotta people playing hard ball here and having success stories, but I promise I'd never be one of those nor would any of the leaguemates I commission. 

Then you'd be in a much tougher situation having to figure out how to do an 11 or 9 man league. 

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares

2 hours ago, yanksman said:

1st year on Yahoo. I'm the commish. I have a few questions:

1. I set up 3 divisions. I can see the 3 divisions in the standings on the desktop site but when using the app I cant see the 3 divisions. All 12 teams are in the same standing group. What am I doing wrong?

2. When do waiver players from get awarded? We are set up as FAAB. Can I change this?

Bookmark the desktop link to your yahoo league page on your phones internet browser. 

The app is decent, but I quit on it years ago because it was limited compared to what the actual site offered. All fantasy platforms I've played on have been like that as well. 

Waiver players are rewarded when your league sets them to be rewarded. Lame answer, but "it depends". There's several options. I'd need you to screen shot your settings and I'd tell you. 

FYI yahoo cuts things off at 2 AM central time which is midnight pacific time (FAABs, claims, etc.). It takes then roughly 4-8 hours to process this and award the claims. 

Example based on me in Houston (central time). Last bid I can place is 1:59 AM central time. Bids awarded between 545 to 11 AM. It truly varies and there's no science to it. 

28 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Yeah. I hear what you're saying but I'd definitely not pay for that team and would quit. 

I'd be 100% wrong, but I'd do it. I don't think I'm on an island either. Lotta people playing hard ball here and having success stories, but I promise I'd never be one of those nor would any of the leaguemates I commission. 

Then you'd be in a much tougher situation having to figure out how to do an 11 or 9 man league. 

I hear what you are saying as well, and no offense, but that would (hypothetically) make you a bad league-mate IMO.  If you didn't show up to the draft or give out a full rankings list, that's 100% on you, just like the guy who fails to get his keepers in on time.  And maybe my league is unique in that we're all friends and are playing for bragging rights rather than money, but thankfully I can't ever see that being in issue in our league.  There's a waiting list to get in, so you could be quite easily replaced if you didn't want to hold up your end of the bargain.

The Yahoo app is very limited in my experience.  Many of the things you need to do (like selecting your keepers) can only be done on the website, not the app.  Drafting on your phone can also be a little rough.

9 hours ago, Corleone said:

One quick question - do you not use a kicker, as I didn't see that mentioned above? I know there are some leagues like that, but wasn't sure if it was just an oversight listing it or not. If you do already not have kicker and then were to remove defense as well, you would be missing two significant aspects of real football IMO. 

We removed kickers 2 years ago and everyone loves it.  

• Like 1

Thanks to all on feedback for Superflex and Tardy penalties!  Good luck in your seasons!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Bookmark the desktop link to your yahoo league page on your phones internet browser. 

The app is decent, but I quit on it years ago because it was limited compared to what the actual site offered. All fantasy platforms I've played on have been like that as well. 

Waiver players are rewarded when your league sets them to be rewarded. Lame answer, but "it depends". There's several options. I'd need you to screen shot your settings and I'd tell you. 

FYI yahoo cuts things off at 2 AM central time which is midnight pacific time (FAABs, claims, etc.). It takes then roughly 4-8 hours to process this and award the claims. 

Example based on me in Houston (central time). Last bid I can place is 1:59 AM central time. Bids awarded between 545 to 11 AM. It truly varies and there's no science to it. 

I have game time to Tuesday. Is there no way to change waivers to be done Wednesday night?

What's waiver time?

Essentially I want all bids to be rewarded on Wednesday night and then all other players are free to add after until game time. 

Edited by yanksman