CooL

Commisioner's Corner 2019

Re: people showing up late for auction drafts, @jonasdash - there's really no need for a 'punishment.'  Not being in on an auction draft while others are drafting is punishment enough.  If you miss the first 30 picks, you are pretty likely to have a bad team.  

Unlike a snake in which an "autopick" will still give you decent value at each slot, not getting any bids in at an auction is just killer.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Re: people showing up late for auction drafts, @jonasdash - there's really no need for a 'punishment.'  Not being in on an auction draft while others are drafting is punishment enough.  If you miss the first 30 picks, you are pretty likely to have a bad team.  

Unlike a snake in which an "autopick" will still give you decent value at each slot, not getting any bids in at an auction is just killer.

Disagree that just missing picks is punishment enough. As I explained, if you're building a balanced team roster you can certainly manage to build a reasonably competitive team if you miss the first 30 players nominated (people often nominate defenses and players they don't want for the first round or two anyway... that's 30-40 mins of time and you maybe miss out on the top 5 RB's and top 5 WR's and a top QB and TE, plus some random players and defenses - not a big deal on making your team viable.  Again, several times people don't win an auction for a player until the 2nd round of nominations is over or the 3rd round even, and those people consistently make the playoffs.   

Plus you will be able to buy all the value players you want when prices have gone down due to budget sizes.   Finally, the whole point of the penalty is that it needs to be a punishment that effing SUCKS so bad to miss that you will act like a grown adult enough to wake up and get to a draft you've known about for a month...instead of showing up 45 minutes late

Edited by jonasdash

23 hours ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

That’s true, and it requires the person helping them draft to be fair and ethical. There have been times when I was drafting for someone and their pick came up before mine, and I had to draft a player I really wanted onto their team because they were ranked higher than I had them. Just the way it goes sometimes. Tried to give them basically the same team they would’ve had if they were there. And just trying to help a friend, not gain an advantage or screw anyone over.

I agree. If somebody isn't at the draft but has submitted a rankings list, I don't think you can rely on another league member to make the selection for the missing member in any other fashion but to just take the name at the top of the list.  Who gets to assume responsibility for the missing member?  You can't interpret what the person might have wanted, because honestly, it's a conflict of interest.  If I know that I want Curtis Samuel, and Curtis Samuel is on the guy's list next, it wouldn't be fair to say "oh he already has 3 WRs and only 1 RB, it's time for him to take an RB instead" and thus leave Curtis Samuel to you.  Maybe the missing owner could stipulate.  If I have three WRs, then take the next RB off the board.  Then after I have 3 RBs, then go back to whomever is at top of the list.  We draft online and over the years, there have been a few guys that missed the draft and were autodrafted.  I believe the computer just takes the highest ranked player and doesn't have any smart intelligence baked in to help construct a well-rounded team.

17 hours ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

I hear what you are saying as well, and no offense, but that would (hypothetically) make you a bad league-mate IMO.  If you didn't show up to the draft or give out a full rankings list, that's 100% on you, just like the guy who fails to get his keepers in on time.  And maybe my league is unique in that we're all friends and are playing for bragging rights rather than money, but thankfully I can't ever see that being in issue in our league.  There's a waiting list to get in, so you could be quite easily replaced if you didn't want to hold up your end of the bargain.

Exactly.  If you're not happy with your team that got autopicked, fine, leave.  But you still have to pay the entry fee.  Otherwise people would just leave leagues whenever they weren't happy with their draft.  Didn't get a top pick, things didn't fall your way, and now your best RB is Miles Sanders?  So do you leave?  No, you make the best of it and try to work out of the perceived holes in your team.

• Like 1

We had a player miss our online draft and got auto-drafted, but as commish I didn't really extend any reparations because it was their own damn fault to begin with (logged into the wrong account). Ended up with a pretty decent squad too IMO.

We've had players miss live offline drafts and it's a total crapshoot and way too much work.

2 hours ago, CooL said:

I agree. If somebody isn't at the draft but has submitted a rankings list, I don't think you can rely on another league member to make the selection for the missing member in any other fashion but to just take the name at the top of the list.  Who gets to assume responsibility for the missing member?  You can't interpret what the person might have wanted, because honestly, it's a conflict of interest.  If I know that I want Curtis Samuel, and Curtis Samuel is on the guy's list next, it wouldn't be fair to say "oh he already has 3 WRs and only 1 RB, it's time for him to take an RB instead" and thus leave Curtis Samuel to you.  Maybe the missing owner could stipulate.  If I have three WRs, then take the next RB off the board.  Then after I have 3 RBs, then go back to whomever is at top of the list.  We draft online and over the years, there have been a few guys that missed the draft and were autodrafted.  I believe the computer just takes the highest ranked player and doesn't have any smart intelligence baked in to help construct a well-rounded team.

Exactly.  If you're not happy with your team that got autopicked, fine, leave.  But you still have to pay the entry fee.  Otherwise people would just leave leagues whenever they weren't happy with their draft.  Didn't get a top pick, things didn't fall your way, and now your best RB is Miles Sanders?  So do you leave?  No, you make the best of it and try to work out of the perceived holes in your team.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Hey guys, got a question about ESPN's settings that I was hoping someone had run across

So we're set up as a FAAB system, with waiver order (tie-breaker) resetting to reverse order of standings every week (I may change this before tomorrow to rolling if there's no push back - shouldn't play a part in this problem).
So every other year we've used it, when the draft is finished the initial waiver order is set to the inverse of your draft pick (i.e., if you had the last pick, you have first waiver order). However this year, it seems like it didn't follow that at all. Instead, it seems to have assigned every team a random "rank," and sorted the waiver order arbitrarily. Has anyone else run into this this year or any other time? 

22 minutes ago, DekuTree said:

Hey guys, got a question about ESPN's settings that I was hoping someone had run across

So we're set up as a FAAB system, with waiver order (tie-breaker) resetting to reverse order of standings every week (I may change this before tomorrow to rolling if there's no push back - shouldn't play a part in this problem).
So every other year we've used it, when the draft is finished the initial waiver order is set to the inverse of your draft pick (i.e., if you had the last pick, you have first waiver order). However this year, it seems like it didn't follow that at all. Instead, it seems to have assigned every team a random "rank," and sorted the waiver order arbitrarily. Has anyone else run into this this year or any other time? 

You are correct. I put up a post on a different thread. 

So I got a dilemma in a league that I’m not sure what to do. 

During the games this week, one of my team owners in a league I run on Sleeper mentioned how his lineup wasn’t set the way he had set it. He claims that on Thursday he had taken out Davante Adams and put in Amari Cooper. But today his lineup had Adams in it and Cooper on the bench. So as you can imagine he is very upset. Swearing up and down he put Adams on the bench and had Amari in his lineup. 

Now this league member is a very dedicated owner. Very much pays attention to what’s going on and honestly would never leave a player in his lineup who was out. I’m positive that he intended to put Adams on his bench I’m thinking that maybe it didn’t save or something when he submitted it? 

Do you think I should honor what this guy says and switch Adams for Cooper? Again, knowing how dedicated he is. Or would that set a bad precedent for the league in terms of switching lineups after games? Has anyone had issues with Sleeper not saving lineups or switching lineups on people? 

Not sure what to do here 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fort4242 said:

During the games this week, one of my team owners in a league I run on Sleeper mentioned how his lineup wasn’t set the way he had set it. He claims that on Thursday he had taken out Davante Adams and put in Amari Cooper. But today his lineup had Adams in it and Cooper on the bench. So as you can imagine he is very upset. Swearing up and down he put Adams on the bench and had Amari in his lineup. 

Now this league member is a very dedicated owner. Very much pays attention to what’s going on and honestly would never leave a player in his lineup who was out. I’m positive that he intended to put Adams on his bench I’m thinking that maybe it didn’t save or something when he submitted it? 

Do you think I should honor what this guy says and switch Adams for Cooper? Again, knowing how dedicated he is. Or would that set a bad precedent for the league in terms of switching lineups after games? Has anyone had issues with Sleeper not saving lineups or switching lineups on people? 

Not sure what to do here 

Pretty bad precedent imo if you switch the players.  Leaves it open for anyone to blame the app on any given week.

Managers should check their lineups right before the games start.   

That being said...it’s not like he’s subbing in for a player that actually played so I do get that he probably meant to with Adams out.  Still, the onus is on the manger to make sure.

You should have him make his case to opponent and let him make the call.   And if he’s OK with it, then maybe let the rest of the league vote on it.

Edited by K197040
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, K197040 said:

Pretty bad precedent imo if you switch the players.  Leaves it open for anyone to blame the app on any given week.

Managers should check their lineups right before the games start.   

That being said...it’s not like he’s subbing in for a player that actually played so I do get that he probably meant to with Adams out.  Still, the onus is on the manger to make sure.

You should have him make his case to opponent and let him make the call.   And if he’s OK with it, then maybe let the rest of the league vote on it.

agree, I wouldn't make the change either.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fort4242 said:

Not sure what to do here 

Would putting in Cooper have made a difference in the match-up?  The clear answer here is that you don't change the lineups.  Now if he had notified you prior to Thursday's game - "Hey, I tried swapping out Davante Adams but the app isn't letting me" - that's a different story.  What likely happened is the game started Thursday and he realized he forgot to take him out.  Doesn't matter how dedicated he is, we all get tied up with things and sometimes just plain forget.  Next thing you know, you're going to have a guy come up to you and say he tried to put in Will Fuller and take out Mike Evans, but the app didn't let him...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CooL said:

Would putting in Cooper have made a difference in the match-up?  The clear answer here is that you don't change the lineups.  Now if he had notified you prior to Thursday's game - "Hey, I tried swapping out Davante Adams but the app isn't letting me" - that's a different story.  What likely happened is the game started Thursday and he realized he forgot to take him out.  Doesn't matter how dedicated he is, we all get tied up with things and sometimes just plain forget.  Next thing you know, you're going to have a guy come up to you and say he tried to put in Will Fuller and take out Mike Evans, but the app didn't let him...

Lol yea tough luck for that guy. If he told me on Thursday one minute after the games maybe, but thats a big maybe, other than that i would say take the loss and move on. Especially if hes telling me about Cooper after Cooper put up a monster game. 

• Thanks 1

Not familiar with Sleeper.  Does it have a transaction log?  Maybe you could verify his claim.

But I agree, he probably just forgot to check game day inactives.  The team manager with Adams in the league I commish deactivated Adams on Friday after Adams missed his third straight practice.

So, I don't buy it.  If he had contacted you at 1:02 EDT to alert you to the problem, well that's different.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CooL said:

Ah quoting myself here because I thought the Packers played Thursday but obviously they only played today.  Same difference, you need to make sure the guys are in/out before their games start.  Otherwise just go play best ball.

• Thanks 1

Unless I'm misunderstanding, the last time this guy had a look at his lineup was Thursday?  If he's as dedicated of a fantasy player as you say I'm honestly surprised that he wouldn't have looked at his lineup again multiple times between Thursday and kickoff Sunday.  I don't think you make a change here, even if he is being 100% honest.  Maybe extreme circumstances didn't allow him to so much as glance at fantasy football between Thursday and Sunday, and if he truly got screwed that sucks, but it does set a bad precedent and its up to an owner to be more attentive to their lineup to catch something like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Fort4242 said:

Not sure what to do here 

Conputer and/or user error stuff just needs to be left alone. Tough break.

• Thanks 1

People really believe that the guy had computer issues or there was some glitch in the platform that apparently nobody else has had? I’m not familiar with Sleeper, but maybe he made the switch and then didn’t hit “Save”? That’s not a computer issue, that’s on him.  Come on, we all know he just plain forgot. We’ve all likely had times where an opponent started a guy on a bye or was injured and forgot to take out. That’s on the manager and there’s no correcting of that after the fact.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the help guys.  Think I'll just tell the guy sorry but the lineup is the lineup and there's nothing we can do.