kwelch

Yordan Alvarez 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

9 hours ago, miasma16 said:

tenor.gif

If ever there was a post that deserved both a confused emoji and a laughing emoji. I’m not sure why you posted it but I can’t stop looking at it and chuckling to myself.

Alvarez could make a start in left field at some point during the weekend series in St. Louis, Jake Kaplan of The Athletic reports.

ANALYSIS

Alvarez has played the field occasionally, but 25 of his 30 big-league starts thus far have come as a designated hitter. He was stuck on the bench for both of the Astros' games in Colorado in early July, but the Cardinals' outfield is nearly as large as the Rockies' is, so he may not face the same fate during this interleague series.

Chances Yordy hit's another dinger tonight?

60%?

16 hours ago, DJSatane said:

Baby Papi continues to impress

a baby papi is a bambino. I like the comp. 

Carlos Correa due back tomorrow.  Yordan still bats cleanup right?  Correa presence at what I’m assuming is 6th should help Alvarez with some runs I would guess.  Hoping he somehow doesn’t get bumped down.

3 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Carlos Correa due back tomorrow.  Yordan still bats cleanup right?  Correa presence at what I’m assuming is 6th should help Alvarez with some runs I would guess.  Hoping he somehow doesn’t get bumped down.

He was batting cleanup only because each one of the other Top 4 guys has been sitting. If everyone is playing, he'd be batting 5th. And from what Hinch has said, it sounds like Yordan (and Correa) will be hitting either 5th or 6th, but he hasn't made a decision yet.

On 7/22/2019 at 5:38 PM, Cesare13 said:

I agree with everything.  And a .280,34 hr type season with excellent countinf stats given that he hits cleanup in the best lineup in baseball is reaspnable.  Not a floor or a ceiling. But given his age,how on earth is he 56 on a dynasty list??

Well, for ESPN at least, he may be DH-only eligible if he doesn't get enough appearances in the field, which it seems he won't. And of course, the more he DHes, the less he's learning how to play outfield. The ranking might be a little low. But that hurts his value a bit too.

You know the excitement has worn off (in a good way) since there are no strings of regular updates when he has a day like today.  We're just expecting this from here on out. 

10 minutes ago, 4catztoomany said:

You know the excitement has worn off (in a good way) since there are no strings of regular updates when he has a day like today.  We're just expecting this from here on out. 

Yep, it has become the known

So, in other words, yep, Yordan Alvarez is still good at hitting baseballs...

Interesting to see where he goes in redrafts.  5th round?

30 minutes ago, B&F said:

Obviously depends on how he finishes the year. DHing and having no SBs certainly doesn't help.  Still his current 550 AB pace 89/48/149/0 with a slash of .339/.420/.689.

550 might be generous if they don't trust him in the field but still if he keeps up this pace is be ecstatic to get him in the 5th of a redraft.

1 hour ago, Baur10 said:

Obviously depends on how he finishes the year. DHing and having no SBs certainly doesn't help.  Still his current 550 AB pace 89/48/149/0 with a slash of .339/.420/.689.

550 might be generous if they don't trust him in the field but still if he keeps up this pace is be ecstatic to get him in the 5th of a redraft.

The only times he will likely sit unless it's just a random day off is if they are in an NL park.  Obviously they are for more than a handful of games now, but that also will depend on what their roster is like next season as well.  I don't think that should drive his value down much regardless.  Also, you have to factor in the fact that he would likely have played at least a game in every road interleague series like he did in their last one if it wasn't for his knee injury earlier.  So, I guess in the end it really would only be a handful of games or so.

As for where he goes in drafts next season, I don't think you'll be getting him at all if you plan on waiting until the 5th round.  I don't think it matters much in that regard if it's a redraft or not as, barring an unlikely complete collapse, he's going to go into next season with plenty of hype.  We all should know by now how much that effects where they go in drafts the next season regardless of what kind of a league it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, B&F said:

Where did Prime Papi end up in rankings? Not where he was drafted, but ended up. Because he was also a guy vastly underrated year in and year out. Anyway, that’s where your Yordan should go. 

soto was 3rd rder this year early 3rd fringe top 25 pre draft. think that was a bit aggressive and he has sb upside

2nd year player don't think I will be reaching but 4th rd seems fair with the 4 cat floor, lineup, ballpark.

2 hours ago, B&F said:

Maybe in four or five team leagues.

• Haha 1