kwelch

Yordan Alvarez 2019 Outlook

Pretty surprising to see him at DH in his very first game ever, but whatever. I'll be tuning in.

17 minutes ago, AngryBeavers said:

Nice to see him hitting 5th in that lineup

Eh, it would be a lot more impressive if they weren't fielding their JV squad.  Still excited to see what he can do.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Pretty surprising to see him at DH in his very first game ever, but whatever. I'll be tuning in.

I thought that was strange too.  As long as he plays 10 out in the OF the remainder of the season, I suppose I don’t care. 

Edited by bigmarc27

3 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

I thought that was strange too.  As long as he plays 10 out in the OF the remainder of the season, I suppose I don’t care. 

I’d rather have 1B but dual-eligibility would be nice! 

48 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Shouldn’t be too surprising. He profiles as their worst defensive outfielder so he’ll probably only be out there on the days when they want to get Brantley a dh day (and same goes when Springer gets back).

DamnIT ... Not one single share. I did at one time. Yordan is long gone in all my leagues. 

Mix emotions on this. I hope he succeeds, but at the same time it would be fun reading the posts if he fails, now if he succeeds I will be avoiding this thread. 

• Haha 1

I was hoping for 1B too, but at least he's in the big leagues.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AngryBeavers said:

1B eligibility could come - just not this year....

I don't see why he won't be playing any 1B unless he's a butcher there. 

Gurriel just turned 35 and is hitting .252 with a utility IF OPS of .665 ... he stinks and Tyler White is worse!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baur10 said:

Eh, it would be a lot more impressive if they weren't fielding their JV squad.  Still excited to see what he can do.

They don't have a whole lot else right now, so while I was initially thinking this might be because they are putting out a "Sunday" lineup, then I realized their lineup isn't much different today than it normally is with all of their injuries.  He has a chance to stick there for now, and it's still decent enough with Bregman and Reddick hitting ahead of him (although Gurriel could be a buzzkill at times).

1 minute ago, KilloWertz said:

They don't have a whole lot else right now, so while I was initially thinking this might be because they are putting out a "Sunday" lineup, then I realized their lineup isn't much different today than it normally is with all of their injuries.  He has a chance to stick there for now, and it's still decent enough with Bregman and Reddick hitting ahead of him (although Gurriel could be a buzzkill at times).

Yeah really the only regular not in there today is Brantley. Hopefully he can establish himself well enough so when Correa, Altuve, and Springer are back he's not totally buried at the bottom of the lineup

2 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Yeah really the only regular not in there today is Brantley. Hopefully he can establish himself well enough so when Correa, Altuve, and Springer are back he's not totally buried at the bottom of the lineup

Wow, not sure how I forgot about Brantley. 😀

Ok, at worst he'll bat 6th when he's in there.  I guess it depends on how good Alvarez does out of the gate.  If he comes out pulling an Austin Riley, then I could see him batting ahead of Gurriel.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

Of course you are talking about the best dh of all time so I don't mind if he falls short of that...

Expect to see teams bust him inside a ton until he proves he can clear and get to fastballs there. 

• Like 1

With his call up is it now time to stash Kyle tucker? Or is there no way the 2 of them will be called up

I guess the elephant in the is does he stick in the bigs when Springer is healthy?  I would think Fisher and Marisnick have a better chance of being demoted if Alvarez hits at all decently 

Just like his MILB thread, a home run. On pace for 95 dingers. 

Discuss. 

• Like 1

Is this guy dynasty gold or is he a sell high if you have an impressive (not mind-blowing) offer?

2 hours ago, STLSU said:

I guess the elephant in the is does he stick in the bigs when Springer is healthy?  I would think Fisher and Marisnick have a better chance of being demoted if Alvarez hits at all decently 

As long as he hits, yes.  There's no reason to think otherwise.  They had no DH before they brought up Alvarez.

15 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

Is this guy dynasty gold or is he a sell high if you have an impressive (not mind-blowing) offer?

That didn't take long.  The day of his debut and we're already getting this question...

Yes, he's dynasty gold.  You are welcome to sell high if you get overwhelmed, but there's no reason to sell otherwise in a dynasty/keeper league.  Especially when we've gotten to see him play in the majors for one day.

• Like 1

I’m thinking Rys Hoskins impact from 2 years ago. I wouldn’t be worried about what offers to look for in dynasty or seasonal for that matter. My prediction is he wins a lot of shrewd fantasy owners their leagues this year .

1 hour ago, Ecofolux said:

I think he's certainly a top 100 dynasty asset right now, perhaps top 60.  I think I read somewhere someone had that high. So, depends on your definition of "gold". I certainly wouldn't be selling him just to sell him. 

Posted (edited)

Since it might have gotten posted during the game and got deleted (I saw the thread was locked), and his first has to be in here...

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, STLSU said:

I think it would be Fisher since he is the one they called up when Springer got injured. Also they really like Marisnik's defense in center and he has been hitting well. Of course this depends on Alvarez mashing and Fisher continuing to be mediocre.

4 hours ago, STLSU said:

I should think he sticks now that deadlines have passed.  They'll send down Straw or Fisher or hopefully DFA Tyler White.