kwelch

Yordan Alvarez 2019 Outlook

18 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

If you needed to get excited, this is a great conversation here (starting at 17:20ish) that was posted previously in the MILB thread.  Alvarez being compared to some big names here...

What is that guy's track record as far as predictions and sources? He was talking a .285, 35 HR player being compared to Ryan Howard and David Ortiz.

8 minutes ago, Lebanasty said:

I should think he sticks now that deadlines have passed.  They'll send down Straw or Fisher or hopefully DFA Tyler White.

It took 2 plate appearances for Yordan to tie Tyler White’s home run total for 2019. White has 149 plate appearances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, einstein2u said:

everyone has a price

Everyone's going to pay...

20 hours ago, DJSatane said:

Tucker must be thinking..."I almost passed him in the HR, all I needed was 2 more to get the call instead!"

Tucker must be also thinking..."Damn, now I am 1 homer down in the majors too."  Poor Kyle...

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I’m telling you right now, Yordan is an extremely talented hitter. I would not be selling high.

The mechanics and quietness to his swing is pure beauty. I’m extremely impressed and looking at his spray chart and how he sprays the ball around the whole field, WITH power, it’s scary to think that he may not have a weakness.  Now this is all my opinion and based purely on what my eyes are telling me.

I will be watching majority of his at bats going forward and see how that inside pitch and off-speed effects him.  Pretty excited to own him in majority of my leagues.

Edited by bjvance5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ace_King said:

What is that guy's track record as far as predictions and sources? He was talking a .285, 35 HR player being compared to Ryan Howard and David Ortiz.

Not sure his scouting reports are for fantasy purposes so maybe not a lot around  But it only takes a few minutes to hear him speak to get the idea that he has a clue.  In any event he's speaking on behalf of scouts he has talked to (who have seen everything) and says there is an excitement around him that wasn't around other top prospects like Tucker and Whitley.    The .285/35 homer is what he's hit tool translates to in the majors.   The "could be Ryan Howard or David Ortiz" are the names being used to talk about his extreme upside. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Not sure his scouting reports are for fantasy purposes so maybe not a lot around  But it only takes a few minutes to hear him speak to get the idea that he has a clue.  In any event he's speaking on behalf of scouts he has talked to (who have seen everything) and says there is an excitement around him that wasn't around other top prospects like Tucker and Whitley.    The .285/35 homer is what he's hit tool translates to in the majors.   The "could be Ryan Howard or David Ortiz" are the names being used to talk about his extreme upside. 

But they played the shift on Ortiz. You can't do that on Yordan

What is his expected power? I have seen various people give him a 60, 65, 70 power grade. What's the smart money on?

Posted (edited)

I think based on his 2nd HR you can tell he does have indeed some magical power. Looks like Kemp felt some of that power in the celebration lol.

Edited by DJSatane
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Ace_King said:

What is his expected power? I have seen various people give him a 60, 65, 70 power grade. 

Over 9000.

• Haha 1

Ok call me crazy...but every season there are rookies that return 1st to 2nd round value ROS. Last year it was Acuna, Soto, year before Judge, Bellinger, and even Rhys after his call-up. 

I think Yordan Alvarez will be the rookie to give 1st to 2nd round value ROS. Yes. That's his value right now. It sounds crazy, but it really isn't. It happens every year, and Yordan has all the attributes that give him the best chance to be THAT guy this year

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, terminator10 said:

Ok call me crazy...but every season there are rookies that return 1st to 2nd round value ROS. Last year it was Acuna, Soto, year before Judge, Bellinger, and even Rhys after his call-up. 

I think Yordan Alvarez will be the rookie to give 1st to 2nd round value ROS. Yes. That's his value right now. It sounds crazy, but it really isn't. It happens every year, and Yordan has all the attributes that give him the best chance to be THAT guy this year

add in trea turner and mondesi (not sure if last year qualified as his rookie year or not)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

add in trea turner and mondesi (not sure if last year qualified as his rookie year or not)

Yeah Mondesi. I don’t mean technically rookie season just meant “MLB ready” 1st opportunity rookie seasons

Yordan Alvarez will be at least Top 25 ROS with ceiling of Top 8-10

Nothing crazy rookies do this every year 

Edited by terminator10
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Not that it makes a ton of a difference batting 4th or 5th, but Alvarez is batting cleanup tonight.

Maybe it sticks tonight if he has a good game?  All of their regulars (from what is left of their lineup of course) are in there tonight, so maybe.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 5:55 AM, Ace_King said:

What is his expected power? I have seen various people give him a 60, 65, 70 power grade. What's the smart money on?

OVER 9000 GRADE POWER !!!1!!1!!!

(nevermind some already said this).

I fail

Edited by 2ndCitySox

On 6/12/2019 at 2:55 AM, Overlord said:

Over 9000.

dammit you beat me to it

• Thanks 1

How fun is this guy to own right now??

1 hour ago, AlwayzRight said:

12 ABs 3 HRs. STUD. Dodgers traded this dude for Josh Fields lol

Come on!  How am I just finding out about this Josh Fields trade.  

Underrated Astros vs Dodgers feud.  Nerds in the background are heated.

7 hours ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

One team must follow Keith Law. 

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

The one I just found out about also involved the Astros but with the Brewers.

Brewers sent Carlos Gomez, Mike Fiers

Astros sent Brent Phillips, Josh Hader, Domingo Santana, Adrian Houser

10 hours ago, nlm said:

How fun is this guy to own right now??

It sucks owning him and having to deal with all of the egos in my clubhouse.  I cut him since he's making some of my other players look bad and didn't want to have to deal with it all anymore...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1