kwelch

Yordan Alvarez 2019 Outlook

He's batting cleanup again today.  Looks like he's going to get every opportunity to keep the spot, at least while their other guys are still out.

10 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

He's batting cleanup again today.  Looks like he's going to get every opportunity to keep the spot, at least while their other guys are still out.

they better not Hiura him 😐

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I don't think that's going to happen.  He's also hitting at another level than even Hiura was, but still, I'm pretty sure they said he was basically coming up to stay before he was called up.  Don't worry. Just enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

considering his poor defense and that all he's doing on offense is draw walks and hit HRs he looks to be a temporary fill in

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, jb_power said:

considering his poor defense and that all he's doing on offense is draw walks and hit HRs he looks to be a temporary fill in

No teams want guys that get on base and hit HR. It’s a small ball revolution!

• Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:57 AM, terminator10 said:

Yordan Alvarez will be at least Top 25 ROS with ceiling of Top 8-10

Said it before and saying it again, if you're selling for anything short of 1st round value you are making a mistake

• Like 1

[Post(s) removed. Use the game day thread for in-game updates.]

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jb_power said:

This post is what looks like a temporary fill in!

Yordan is obv here to stay as long as he doesn't completely fall on his face.

Edited by cs3

Just hoping for a few looks at 1B.  Little eligibity there would go a long way. 

I'm impressed at his plate discipline. Unlike say Austin Riley, he's walking more than he is striking out and is being very selective about what he swings at. If he keeps that up, he is poised for a highly productive future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cs3 said:

This post is what looks like a temporary fill in!

Yordan is obv here to stay as long as he doesn't completely fall on his face.

tenor.gif

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Pretty impressive stuff in his 5 games he has

-one home run in all about one

- 2 3-hit games

- 1 3-bb game

This is just as close to as great as a start as you can have. '

Seeing tons of elite exit velo tweets. 

It's been a great few years to be an Astros Fan and its nowhere near done.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Pretty impressive stuff in his 5 games he has

-one home run in all about one

- 2 3-hit games

- 1 3-bb game

This is just as close to as great as a start as you can have. '

Seeing tons of elite exit velo tweets. 

The crazy thing is he’s crushing all types of pitches. He’s driving balls out of the zone like vintage Miggy or Vlad Sr. It’s going to be hard for pitchers to put together a book on him. 

1 minute ago, TheForearmShiver said:

The crazy thing is he’s crushing all types of pitches. He’s driving balls out of the zone like vintage Miggy or Vlad Sr. It’s going to be hard for pitchers to put together a book on him. 

I've watched some of his PAs. Really interesting to see how far away from the plate he stands.  Helps him go opp on lefties. He seems like a rare case of a LH hitter with a great plan for LH pitching.  I've also seen him get some pretty favorable calls on the outside of the plate, and I think the fact that he stands so far from the plate makes those borderline pitches look more like balls because they are so far away from him. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

What’s even more impressive is he’s hitting the ball to all fields. To all fields with authority. I’m not surprised since he did this in the minors as well, but still, it’s remarkable to see. This guy is a professional hitter beyond his years. Special talent. 

Edited by Sonny_D
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, BIGFLY4MIKETROUT said:

Is he as good as prime David Ortiz or Ryan Howard?

His upside is in that kind of stratosphere.  What are the odds that he gets there?  I am not sure but they are better than they were a week ago.   Another crazy comparison, given his body size, power and eye might be a Frank Thomas from the left side.  That is special elite numbers though... 

Edited by knuckleheads

Howard struck out a lot though. He did have a couple Ks in his 2nd game that had me worried. But he quickly adjusted and looks great now! Loving the walks, multi hit games, long thunderous HRs. Thinking about going today and seeing him, Vlad, and Biggio.

35 minutes ago, RBI Sports said:

Howard struck out a lot though. He did have a couple Ks in his 2nd game that had me worried. But he quickly adjusted and looks great now! Loving the walks, multi hit games, long thunderous HRs. Thinking about going today and seeing him, Vlad, and Biggio.

If you do end up going, you better not jinx him and make this his 2nd game without a hit.  I'd be ok without a HR as he can't do it every game, but I still want production. 😀

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nlm said:

Batting 3rd today.

Assuming everyone is back and healthy, I can’t ever see him hitting lower than 5th. But damn, they’re stacked. And that’s not even considering Tucker. 

• Like 2