kwelch

Yordan Alvarez 2019 Outlook

His OPS is currently 1.785 with an OBP of .609 and a SLG 1.176.

I have nothing to else to add. His SSS insane numbers just makes me happy. 

• Like 2

Even though I agree that I cannot see him batting higher than 5th in this order once Altuve and Springer return, it is really nice to see the confidence the Astros seemingly have in him so far. Started at 5, now he's batting 3rd... not that he hasn't been absurd enough to earn it or anything.

27 minutes ago, nlm said:

Even though I agree that I cannot see him batting higher than 5th in this order once Altuve and Springer return, it is really nice to see the confidence the Astros seemingly have in him so far. Started at 5, now he's batting 3rd... not that he hasn't been absurd enough to earn it or anything.

Then there's Correa at some point, I guess sometime in July.  When the other two come back, they will bump everybody down two spots, but that would still leave Alvarez batting 5th.

Alvarez will be 6th at worst when Correa comes back, as I can't really say right now who they would have bat in front of the other.  Correa would have been the easy choice since he was hitting really good before he got hurt, but if Alvarez keeps rolling, then who knows.  One thing that might help is maybe they wouldn't want Alvarez and Reddick batting back to back since they are both lefties.  We'll see when it matters, which is still a while...

1 minute ago, KilloWertz said:

Then there's Correa at some point, I guess sometime in July.  When the other two come back, they will bump everybody down two spots, but that would still leave Alvarez batting 5th.

Alvarez will be 6th at worst when Correa comes back, as I can't really say right now who they would have bat in front of the other.  Correa would have been the easy choice since he was hitting really good before he got hurt, but if Alvarez keeps rolling, then who knows.  One thing that might help is maybe they wouldn't want Alvarez and Reddick batting back to back since they are both lefties.  We'll see when it matters, which is still a while...

Wow, nearly forgot about Correa. They truly are stacked...
Springer won't hit his rehab quite yet, so there's still a bit of time. Let's all hope he keeps mashing.

I posted a possible lineup in the Tucker thread where Alvarez hits 5th with everyone healthy....but maybe they bat him at cleanup and drop Altuve to 5th. Then Correa at 6. Tucker 7th..... Its just a good problem to have. 

15 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Really interesting to see how far away from the plate he stands.

I don't understand why more players don't do this. The more off the plate you are, the better bat extension you can achieve.

13 minutes ago, Osu1456 said:

I don't understand why more players don't do this. The more off the plate you are, the better bat extension you can achieve.

I don’t know, I’m by no means an expert, but I always wondered the same thing. I’d want the barrel of the bat to be, at worst, at the outer 3/4 of the plate at full extension. Seems to me it would allow a hitter less “guessing” as well since you wouldn’t be forced to chase a pitch outside the plate. 

24 minutes ago, Osu1456 said:

He may start a trend lol

4 hours ago, Osu1456 said:

Guy above mentioned a Frank Thomas comp....I’ve never seen anyone stand further away than Frank the Tank. Maybe Dave Winfield or Andre Dawson. Them guys were damn near out the box.

Sosa stood pretty far off the plate too, if I remember correctly.

0-4 with 2 K's.  I guess the party's over...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bluntbros said:

Guy above mentioned a Frank Thomas comp....I’ve never seen anyone stand further away than Frank the Tank. Maybe Dave Winfield or Andre Dawson. Them guys were damn near out the box.

Clemente dug in at the very back corner of the box.  Many times he would be outside of the box until the ump would kindly remind Mr Clemente that he needed to move up a tad

spacer.png

Edited by jb_power
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

0-4 with 2 K's.  I guess the party's over...

Dropped.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Bandito said:

Dropped.

Yep, biggest regret of the season was waiting all this time for a guy who still has a 1.417 OPS even after today's 0-4 game.  Wait, I think somebody put Twisted Tea in my glass instead of sweet tea...

Being serious for a moment, he should be able to pick up a couple more starts for OF eligibility in the next series (in Cincy, so no DH), although it wouldn't be a surprise if he got a day off for one of them.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, jb_power said:

Clemente dug in at the very back corner of the box.  Many times he would be outside of the box until the ump would kindly remind Mr Clemente that he needed to move up a tad

spacer.png

Am I wrong in thinking modern sliders, two seamers, and cutters would have resulted in him changing his stance ASAP?

51 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Am I wrong in thinking modern sliders, two seamers, and cutters would have resulted in him changing his stance ASAP?

Interesting question, I have no idea.  Probably.  But I’d never bet against Clemente’s ability to do just that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Is Alvarez slated to play in the field every day during the cinci series? 

At least for tonight he is 😀 Playing LF and batting third.

I went and looked at this dude splits in the minors this year, this dude is just sick!

On 6/16/2019 at 10:31 AM, Osu1456 said:

Crowding the plate seemed to work okay for that one guy.  What's his name again... Bonds??  /s

BB liked being able to get his bat through the zone quicker with less extension.  Either approach has it's advantages. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/16/2019 at 10:31 AM, Osu1456 said:

Not everyone has easy opposite field power. Anyone who needs pull power would never do that. Crowding the plate makes sense for anyone who has quick wrists to turn on inside pitches because it gives them more plate coverage. With the side effect of getting more HBP to ya, know get on base.

Edited by Slatykamora

After 2 more K's tonight, he now has more K's than BB's.  Sell high window closing... 😉

1 minute ago, Bobby Blue said:

Benched today. Reddick back in RF, Brantley in left.

That's okay, he played 2 of 3 in an NL park with no DH, I'll take it. Even guys like Nelson Cruz will be a PH the whole series with no DH.

• Like 1

Saw 3 of his AB's yesterday. Smoked the ball each time. Unlucky that only 1 of those 3 fell in for an RBI double.