kwelch

Yordan Alvarez 2019 Outlook

not starting today, the Astros hate him and he's going to be demoted!! arg, just kidding, rant over.

I don't know if it's been mentioned here but one comparison they made on MLB network was Carlos Delgado.

23 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned here but one comparison they made on MLB network was Carlos Delgado.

I thought about that too, good one!

2 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

not starting today, the Astros hate him and he's going to be demoted!! arg, just kidding, rant over.

In Delgado's prime in 2000 he hit .344 Avg, 1.134 OPS, 115 R, 41 HR, 137 RBI... but not to be confused with the year he hit 42 bombs with mlb leading 145 RBI...

I think I can find room on my roster for that.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

[...]

You would think the pitcher knows not to pitch a lefty down and in, especially one with his power.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

7 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

[...]

You would think the pitcher knows not to pitch a lefty down and in, especially one with his power.

That was clearly a mistake pitch.

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

mistake yes. quality pitch 97 down and in on the black yes. 

Just now, colepenhagen said:

mistake yes. quality pitch 97 down and in on the black yes. 

Sure - but it wasn’t the target, I suppose is my point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

Sure - but it wasn’t the target, I suppose is my point.

yea ur right my post was more about yordan hitting a pretty well located pitch (even though that's not where he wanted to locate it)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

True, so maybe part of my post was a mistake thought...

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I’ll just leave this here  

Should I be the killjoy that mentions that Delgado had to do another stint in the minors?  No?  Just kidding. 

That was a rocket.

• Haha 2

a cry a little every time i think about how the supposed genius GM Friedman traded him for Josh Fields

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

finally on this train.  choo choo.  what did cost?  EVERYTHING.

Funny thing is I don’t think you overpaid. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Someone has been cloned...

43_092503_tbtor_delgado_4hrs_tw_ieelmj5z

Most definitely. I thought of him too the first time I saw Yordan’s swing. The scary thing is I think he actually generates more power and more loft than The Cat.

• Like 1

His swing seems effortless. Almost like hes swatting flies.... 

1 hour ago, Jmadtown said:

His swing seems effortless. Almost like hes swatting flies.... 

Swatting BIG flies

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sonny_D said:

Funny thing is I don’t think you overpaid. 

I think he underpaid actually.  He should have also had to give up his soul.  Then the trade would have been close to being even...

Edited by KilloWertz

1 minute ago, Cesare13 said:

Never gonna play 1b according to Hinch.  Apparently they tried him out there in AAA and spring training and he was insanely bad.  

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Astros-mailbag-Is-first-base-a-possibility-for-14025485.php

That would have been huge for fantasy, but you really can’t complain.  

Extra eligibility is always nice, but as long as he gets enough starts to qualify in the OF again next season, I'm good.  Obviously he will at some point, partially thanks to their recent series in an NL park.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Never gonna play 1b according to Hinch.  Apparently they tried him out there in AAA and spring training and he was insanely bad.  

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Astros-mailbag-Is-first-base-a-possibility-for-14025485.php

That would have been huge for fantasy, but you really can’t complain.  

While extra eligiblity is ALWAYS a plus, I'm going to need you to explain a bit more why this would have been "huge."  Now, being DH-only would have been absolutely huge, but Yordan will have OF eligibility for the foreseeable future.  Does 1B really add that much?  

1B is thinner than it used to be, but I don't think it's THAT thin ... it's not like we're talking about MI or C here ...

Edited by Overlord

18 minutes ago, Overlord said:

While extra eligiblity is ALWAYS a plus, I'm going to need you to explain a bit more why this would have been "huge."  Now, being DH-only would have been absolutely huge, but Yordan will have OF eligibility for the foreseeable future.  Does 1B really add that much?  

1B is thinner than it used to be, but I don't think it's THAT thin ... it's not like we're talking about MI or C here ...

1B IS that thin, go look at ranks.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Overlord said:

I’m guessing your  1b is a good one and it’s not killing you.  1b IS thin, and you feel it if you are looking for one. It’s even worse if some people have more than 1 because of keepers and guys grab the breakouts as util.  Depending on where you draft and the format of your league, if you don’t get a 1b really early you’re in trouble.  I can’t imagine a league where there is anything useable, let alone exciting on waivers for 1b ( at least his year.)It’s possible to get a good one even if you miss on the top,dogs, but if he gets hurt ,you’re forced to trade.  On the other hand, there  is an OF that you kind of want on waivers in most leagues.

Admitingly, this is nitpicky on my part.  And who knows? He could still somehow get it in some leagues.

Edited by Cesare13