Sign in to follow this  
Jaynebra

How To Regulate Draft Pick Trading

I’m commish of a 2nd year Keeper league looking to start allowing draft pick trading this year. I have my concerns about top owners selling their future to win now and bottom owners having fire sales to stockpile future picks, causing the league to be imbalanced.

I’ve considered adding a salary cap where players and picks for each round hold a certain “salary”. Or just having an early trade deadline for draft picks. So I’m curious, How have you guys regulated draft pick trading in your leagues?

Posted (edited)

We don't. One team next year's draft has 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. When we first started I voted to regulate it somehow. But I have learned It makes our trade deadline super exciting and I love it now.

We do require 100 deposit towards next year's dues if you are trading picks away.

Edited by dmb3684
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Jaynebra said:

I’m commish of a 2nd year Keeper league looking to start allowing draft pick trading this year. I have my concerns about top owners selling their future to win now and bottom owners having fire sales to stockpile future picks, causing the league to be imbalanced.

I’ve considered adding a salary cap where players and picks for each round hold a certain “salary”. Or just having an early trade deadline for draft picks. So I’m curious, How have you guys regulated draft pick trading in your leagues?

We have set some regulations to reduce the effect of a manager giving up on the current year to load up on the next.  They include:

1. Not allowing the trading of draft picks from rounds 1-3.  

2. Limiting the total number of draft picks traded each year by each team to three.

3. Winner of the consolation bracket gets 1st pick in next years draft (less likely to tank and more importantly makes managers stay active until the last game).  Draft order is based on previous year's finish (7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 5th, 6th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st).  

But league rules aren't a one-size-fits all.  You should get a sense from the other managers what they want and just figure out the best compromise.  In our case, this was it (as some wanted no restrictions on draft pick trades and some didn't want to allow any draft pick trades).

Edited by WEIL3R

On 6/14/2019 at 2:04 PM, dmb3684 said:

We don't. One team next year's draft has 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. When we first started I voted to regulate it somehow. But I have learned It makes our trade deadline super exciting and I love it now.

We do require 100 deposit towards next year's dues if you are trading picks away.

This is what we do too. If you want to trade future draft picks you better have paid for that season. Otherwise let them trade away or stockpile their picks. 

Why would you regulate it?? As long as there is no collusion.  No reason to worry.

• Like 1