AirForceOne

Jay Ajayi 2019 Outlook

My typecast is only because what I've seen and nothing other than that...how many times do guys get passed over or overlooked? All the time.... I'm just coming to the realization that it's because these teams know more than I do. .. and there is a reason most guys are overlooked or passed over....

And the first part of mine was to collusion saying he  (duke) beat those guys out for a starting role and I honestly don't remember that...can duke become something sure... is it likely? I don't think it is, based on his back story so far... people can change but a couple years in the league I think this guy's pretty set as pass catcher cop type...and if they look at ajayi it's not just as depth but early down pounder...

6 minutes ago, hard1 said:

My typecast is only because what I've seen and nothing other than that...how many times do guys get passed over or overlooked? All the time.... I'm just coming to the realization that it's because these teams know more than I do. .. and there is a reason most guys are overlooked or passed over....

And the first part of mine was to collusion saying he  (duke) beat those guys out for a starting role and I honestly don't remember that...can duke become something sure... is it likely? I don't think it is, based on his back story so far... people can change but a couple years in the league I think this guy's pretty set as pass catcher cop type...and if they look at ajayi it's not just as depth but early down pounder...

Pretty certain he meant that Duke didn’t beat out those guys. It was just a typo. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

Why would he have to beat out anyone? Did Damien Williams? Lots of backs get the opportunity once injuries like this happen. You think they won’t give him every opportunity to show what he can do? What Cleveland did with him isn’t relevant to what he is capable of doing. I’m not sure why you want to type-cast him without any proof of your own? Cleveland has pretty much been a dumpster fire since Duke was drafted.

Duke's rushing attempts have declined every year he's been in the league. He's basically a clone of TJ Yeldon or Gio Bernard. Good in the passing game, but doesn't have the vision, experience or talent to excel as a between-the-tackles grinder. It wasn't Cleveland's coaches that prevented him from earning a workhorse role -- his college tape and nearly every scouting report concurred on the fact that he's not a early down RB.

If Houston gives him more opportunities, it will be out of sheer necessity... not because Duke has suddenly transformed into a 3-down back.

That said, I think most expect Ajayi to get a workout here as the opportunity is an ideal fit for his skills.
Whether the offensive line is good enough to make Ajayi more than an RB3 is debatable. 

Is it even likely he gets signed? Has there been any report outside of the random Al Michaels comment?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, havey16 said:

Is it even likely he gets signed? Has there been any report outside of the random Al Michaels comment?

Al Michaels dreamt that Houston signed Ajayi during his pre-game nap. Then he reported it as a done deal during the game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gbill2004 said:

Al Michaels dreamt that Houston signed Ajayi during his pre-game nap. Then he reported it as a done deal during the game. 

If they sign him now, his contract is guaranteed for the year. They'll wait until after week 1.

34 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

If they sign him now, his contract is guaranteed for the year. They'll wait until after week 1.

They'll probably explore other RBs who get cut too. 

5 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

They should take a flier on Dixon if the Ravens cut him.

41 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Great point. I forgot about that. Good stuff.

I was thinking more along the lines that they would have two weeks to get him in and learn the playbook. Ease him in for week 1 and have him good to go for week 2 and beyond especially since out of all teams, they have the most cap space available. Guaranteeing him a one year minimum deal to prove that he's healthy would be the cost of doing business and would be beneficial to both parties.

17 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Alert fantasy players should note this if you're drafting this weekend.  People who don't know this type of nuance may think "Hey, Houston didn't get anyone, I guess Duke Johnson is the man" and draft accordingly.  There is a better than decent chance that Houston will get someone after the regular season starts, and this should be priced into Duke Johnson's value during your weekend draft.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Alert fantasy players should note this if you're drafting this weekend.  People who don't know this type of nuance may think "Hey, Houston didn't get anyone, I guess Duke Johnson is the man" and draft accordingly.  There is a better than decent chance that Houston will get someone after the regular season starts, and this should be priced into Duke Johnson's value during your weekend draft.

This.

I totally agree. I think Duke is going to have a season much more like his 2017 than his 2018, but there's no way he will be "the man" in Houston imo. I think they will sign 1 or 2 players that are cut before week 1.  Keep an eye on names like Hyde, Dixon, Mccoy, and situations like Philly where they have a log jam and someone is likely to go.

17 hours ago, JoeJoe88 said:

They should probably hire a 24/7 dedicated medical team if they decide take a flier on Dixon if the Ravens cut him. Strictly on call for the Dixon dinks and ouchies and monkey shines. 

fixed up to reflect accuracy of sitch. 

18 hours ago, joshua18 said:

17 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

I'm guessing it's more of the latter opposed to the former. They probably want to explore all of their options instead of just signing Ajayi.

lots of teams could use this guy.  Worth a flier.   Looking at guys like Ryquell Armstead, Dare owabolge(something),  Crockett, etc.  

Holding for a few more days in the hopes he signs with Tampa.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

What was Al Michaels thinking?

Probably about the over?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeeGee60 said:

any chance they go with this guy over pollard if zeke holds out

Two things week's have to occur first: 

1. Dallas signs him

2. He can learn the playbook in 6 days.

At least one of those is highly unlikely. 

22 minutes ago, pdizzle710 said:

Two things week's have to occur first: 

1. Dallas signs him

2. He can learn the playbook in 6 days.

At least one of those is highly unlikely. 

If Dallas gets the sense of a longer holdout though it might get interesting... maybr not for week 1 but maybe 2-3 games down the line... he’s a firm hold for now, just surprised no one has shown an interest

8 minutes ago, TeeGee60 said:

If Dallas gets the sense of a longer holdout though it might get interesting... maybr not for week 1 but maybe 2-3 games down the line... he’s a firm hold for now, just surprised no one has shown an interest

For all the RB position movement around the league and still no interest makes me believe that teams are scared of his knee injury history.

Anyone in deep leagues holding though week 1 in hopes a team like TB or LAC don't like their RB production after the first game of the season and look for a veteran?

1 minute ago, munde53 said:

Anyone in deep leagues holding though week 1 in hopes a team like TB or LAC don't like their RB production after the first game of the season and look for a veteran?

On 9/2/2019 at 12:09 PM, pdizzle710 said:

For all the RB position movement around the league and still no interest makes me believe that teams are scared of his knee injury history.

Yahtzee!

He is certainly a more interesting talent than free agent bums like Fozzy or Z. Zenner, the Giants should definitely give him a shot.