LoGo

Isan Diaz - SS Mia

I looked, but surprisingly didn't see a thread on him. 

Fresh off a strong showing in the Puerto Rican Winter League, the P.R. native is a second baseman acquired last offseason in the Christian Yelich deal. Díaz is quite possibly the best power prospect in the middle infield in the Marlins organization since Dan Uggla.

Originally a second-round competitive balance pick of the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2014 by way of Springfield Central High School in Massachusetts, Isan instantly showed his power potential with 16 home runs—56 total extra-base hits—and an OBP of .362 in 117 games in rookie ball.

Playing in 135 games for the Low-A Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, Isan slashed .264/.358/.469 along with 20 home runs and 11 stolen bases. A high strikeout rate was slightly worrisome, but the many other positives caught the eye of talent evaluators across baseball with his name starting to show up on top 2B lists. 

Díaz fared well with the Double-A Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: 10/10 HR/SB, .365 OBP, career-high 14.9 BB% in 83 games. 

Now tearing up AAA. This guy's is one of the hottest hitters in the MiLB. Last 30 days:

40-120 (.333/.454/.771) 

7 doubles, 2 triples, 10 homers

10 bb vs 26 k

As much flack as Jeter has received, the Marlins have a lot of good, young talent. Diaz may be the next to start contributing if Rojas or Castro end up in the IL. Trade deadline could play a factor as well. 

• Thanks 1

Doubled last night to push hit streak to 17 games, this comes directly on the heels of his own 5 straight games with a HR heater...

He's back to a top50 prospect for me and not getting much fanfare after a down season. Dude can really hit.

• Like 1

What am I missing here? A 23 year old on his second tour of the PCL with a career line of .258 in the minors doesn't have me very excited.

Last night went 2-3 with 2 more HRs along with a BB and K...

• Like 2

On 6/18/2019 at 10:57 AM, ThreadKiller said:

What am I missing here? A 23 year old on his second tour of the PCL with a career line of .258 in the minors doesn't have me very excited.

Not every prospect figures it out at age 19/20. Sometimes it just takes a little time to get that smoke right on the bbq.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Not every prospect figures it out at age 19/20. Sometimes it just takes a little time to get that smoke right on the bbq.

19-20 and 23 is quite the gap you left out lol but I get your point.

9 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

There was a time too when Díaz was a hot commodity, and he was a popular stash. 2015 Pioneer League MVP and 2016 Brewers organizational player of the year. Always keep an open mind. 

• Like 1

He turned 23 less than 30 days ago and he only spend 35 games at AAA. 

Don’t let logic cloud your judgement.  In dog years, he’s 94 years old.  Nothing to see here.

Sarcasm aside, I’ll glad to see he’s rebounded after a couple of mediocre years.  He was a hot hot prospect not too long ago with that pretty Robinson Cano swing. Sucks he’s a Marlin and will be hitting in that ball park though.

1 hour ago, hard1 said:

Up to 17 homers.

4-4 Hr, 2 doubles.  Wonder if he gets a call once the Futures Game is done.  Deserves it.

Feel like marlins all about opportunities

10 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

4-4 Hr, 2 doubles.  Wonder if he gets a call once the Futures Game is done.  Deserves it.

Unfortunately Starlin Castro is on fire. Nowhere for him to play. 😉

1 hour ago, pduce242424 said:

Unfortunately Starlin Castro is on fire. Nowhere for him to play. 😉

Yeah it might take some shuffling around, like Castro to 3B and Anderson back to the OF, but there is little reason for MIA not to give it go?

Yeah I agree. There was a lot of sarcasm in my post. He deserves a call up.  And Castro shouldn’t stand in the way. 

Another HR tonight, #19 on the year.  Kid is just raking, will force the Marlins hand to call him up sooner or later.

13 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Another HR tonight, #19 on the year.  Kid is just raking, will force the Marlins hand to call him up sooner or later.

HR #20 last night

Didn't do much offensively in the Futures game last night, but Harold Reynolds was very bullish on him. TIFWIW. 

3-5 2B, HR.  Hopefully the Marlins can find Castro a new home so they can get this kid up already.  Most importantly, he has cut his K rate this year and it has been holding steady and his LHP/RHP splits are great.

• Like 4

Alright this guy is a beast. Wonder how much PCL has to do with it, but he’s not leaving my team. 

12 minutes ago, hoops886 said:

What is the reason for him not being rated higher on prospect lists?

Mostly some general prospect fatigue imo. He has endured some struggles too, a lot of that could have been injury related too.

I remember watching him live in ST with MIL in 2017, and I swear he absolutely looked like he belonged in the bigs. Just ripping shots all over the field against legit pitching.

17 minutes ago, hoops886 said:

What is the reason for him not being rated higher on prospect lists?

Some lists, like BA and Fangraphs, factor defensive value.  A guy like Diaz is limited to 2B, so that knocks him down for some.  And as mentioned, he was a highly touted guy a few years back, but struggled with high K rates so there was question on whether his hit tool would ever develop.  PCL power numbers aside, his improved strike zone is what I take most from his improvement this year.

• Like 1