ellie826

Mike Gesicki 2019 Outlook

Seems like the arrow should be pointing up for Gesicki. He was in a bad situation last year because Gase wanted to use him as a line tight end which makes the learning curve very steep. This year he should be the move tight end since Dwayne Allen is now on the team. He also put on 13 lbs of muscle to help with the rigors of the NFL season and O’Shea should hopefully know how to use an athletic freak tight end. Just a refresher but Gesicki was 95th percentile speed score, 99th agility score, 99th burst score, and 100th in catch radius. Dude is a physical freak and now he added on 13lbs of muscle? I’m grabbing him everywhere.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ellie826 said:

Seems like the arrow should be pointing up for Gesicki. He was in a bad situation last year because Gase wanted to use him as a line tight end which makes the learning curve very steep. This year he should be the move tight end since Dwayne Allen is now on the team. He also put on 13 lbs of muscle to help with the rigors of the NFL season and O’Shea should hopefully know how to use an athletic freak tight end. Just a refresher but Gesicki was 95th percentile speed score, 99th agility score, 99th burst score, and 100th in catch radius. Dude is a physical freak and now he added on 13lbs of muscle? I’m grabbing him everywhere.

Personally I don't select players based on physical capacity or muscle. I want to see actual football and actual yardage; Gesicki had all of 202 of that in 2018.

Of course that was under Gase, who was a moron; this season he'll have a fresh HC who is an ex-Pat, and one who never made it past (Defensive) Assistant coach; the OC is another Pat and the former WR coach. It could be an improvement, but I'm not holding my breath.

According to FantasyPros he's currently drafted at around TE30. That sounds about right. No need to draft this kid unless in a 2TE league; he should be free on the wire in most leagues, so if indeed he shows promise, he'll be available.

Sorry to rain on your parade :)

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 2

I'm gonna keep my eye on this guy because there's a little potential there, but its nearly impossible to see something there worth drafting right now.   If he starts getting targets early on, he's worth a speculative add.   

Watch list doesn't even matter anymore with Twitter. 

In the early 2010s this is a guy I'd say to watch list at most. 

Now I guess... Just somewhat pay attention to football and see if he's doing anything during the season. 

Don't draft him though. 

And yeah, I agree and also think the dolphins gonna be worse than last year. Don't tell that 1 guy though, he'll blow this thread up. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Personally I don't select players based on physical capacity or muscle. I want to see actual football and actual yardage; Gesicki had all of 202 of that in 2018.

Of course that was under Gase, who was a moron; this season he'll have a fresh HC who is an ex-Pat, and one who never made it past (Defensive) Assistant coach; the OC is another Pat and the former WR coach. It could be an improvement, but I'm not holding my breath.

According to FantasyPros he's currently drafted at around TE30. That sounds about right. No need to draft this kid unless in a 2TE league; he should be free on the wire in most leagues, so if indeed he shows promise, he'll be available.

Sorry to rain on your parade :)

Maybe I shouldn’t be too enthusiastic but I am excited to hear about him in training camp. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellie826 said:

Maybe I shouldn’t be too enthusiastic but I am excited to hear about him in training camp. 

Id rather take a shot on Jordan Thomas from Houston than this guy

1 minute ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Don't bet on Texans TEs. Advice from Houston. 

Hes my sleeper TE so id have to ignore that advice but thank you.

6 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Personally I don't select players based on physical capacity or muscle. I want to see actual football and actual yardage

Beat me to it and thank god someone else gets it. If I had a nickel for every "freak" muscle-wise or speed-wise or whatever that came into the NFL and did squat I'd be rich.

This guy I do think has a lot of potential but he's on a perennially hopeless team and I seriously doubt will even be FA fodder this year. Or next.

3 hours ago, ellie826 said:

Look, the guy had some real hype going into the NFL, and I assumee there's something there; but receiving and blocking in the NFL is a very different sport, and guys need to adjust. That's all fine, and if you tell me "I watched all his games and it's clear he's improving", then that's a thing.

(It's not what his gamelog shows, he had 22 targets in the first half of the season and only 10 in the second half, so that's not great).

You can also tell me Gase is a moron who in the past 5 years didn't have a TE who cracked 500 yd, and that's a thing too. By Gase standards, Gesicki did well to even get 200.
image.png.153d4e7c70d541e6741e93ee4d2cb827.png

You could even tell me that this bunch of ex-Pats that's going to coach the Dolphins are bound to use the TEs, what with the Patriots heritage. Even that's a thing, even if it's speculation, and we basically have no idea about their tendencies and preferences.

Just don't tell me he has more muscle, unless we're talking about the Bodybuilding World Championshiops or maybe the Gay Pride. In the NFL it might slow him down as much as help him, and it's not sometnhing he seemed to need desperately anyway.

maxresdefault.jpg

18 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Watch list doesn't even matter anymore with Twitter. 

In the early 2010s this is a guy I'd say to watch list at most. 

Now I guess... Just somewhat pay attention to football and see if he's doing anything during the season. 

Don't draft him though. 

And yeah, I agree and also think the dolphins gonna be worse than last year. Don't tell that 1 guy though, he'll blow this thread up. 

Don't tell who?  Me? Lol, I know where we stand, no offense taken, I'll still be watching all of the games though.

55 minutes ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Don't tell who?  Me? Lol, I know where we stand, no offense taken, I'll still be watching all of the games though.

As a Bills fan, I understand this pain all too well lol. At least the Bills/Phins/Jets games should be competitive this year.

I drafted Gesicki in my dynasty rookie draft and ended up dropping him for Tim Patrick with no regrets. If he had that extra oomph, I think we would have seen something, anything last year.

Posted (edited)

Rookie tight ends never do well...especially tight ends that aren’t used as big wr. If they are only used as move tight ends, the transition is easier since they aren’t learning all the blocking assignments. Gase used Gesicki to pass block 19% of the time compared to Kelce 8%/Engram 5%/Hayden Hurst 3%/Mark Andrew 1.8%. Should be better this year.

Friendly reminder:Do not draft a Jets TE this year.

Edited by ellie826
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Nono, @jmausen.

7 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Nah lol. Not you. 

Some guy, I already forgot who, he got pretty fired up about how good the dolphins were gonna be this year when I said they'd suck. I had to eventually see myself out. 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Nah lol. Not you. 

Some guy, I already forgot who, he got pretty fired up about how good the dolphins were gonna be this year when I said they'd suck. I had to eventually see myself out. 

You do occasionally tend to get a bit heated about subjects you don't really care about yes :)
Edit: I already indicated who. I don't there was anything wrong with the discussion, and I'm interested to know his opinion on Gesicki.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

You do occasionally tend to get a bit heated about subjects you don't really care about yes :)
Edit: I already indicated who. I don't there was anything wrong with the discussion, and I'm interested to know his opinion on Gesicki.

TE1

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

TE1

Nelson Sousa, high stakes player who’s won $1 mil+ and is ranked as high as #5 world wide in season long high stakes leagues, had a hot take that Gesicki would outscore Ertz this year. Is it going to happen? Probably not...but I’m definitely interested in Gesicki.

4 hours ago, ellie826 said:

Nelson Sousa, high stakes player who’s won $1 mil+ and is ranked as high as #5 world wide in season long high stakes leagues, had a hot take that Gesicki would outscore Ertz this year. Is it going to happen? Probably not...but I’m definitely interested in Gesicki.

Is what you said all real or is this like next level internet sarcasm that I can't keep up with? 

On 6/16/2019 at 10:15 PM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Nah lol. Not you. 

Dolphins are an 8-8 +/- 2 win team.  The Jets and Bills are not super awesome this year.

Everyone thinks Miami is the worst team in the NFL this year.  It doesn't make any sense.  Nobody has any useful information to support the Dolphins being a bad team.  Quarterbacks are better.  Downgrade at RT.  Gase was replaced with a bunch of Patriots coaches and Jim Caldwell. 

They won 7 games last year with Tennehill hurt and Brock starting 1/3rd of their games: 6 wins minimum.  I won't be surprised if they are not eliminated from the playoffs week 15.  Vegas said the Bears and Browns were the worst teams in the NFL last year.  They're giving Miami nice betting odds.  So what?

Caldwell is the assistant head coach.  The defense isn't bad.  The offense will be competent.  I like Gesicki.  He should get plenty of targets.

Please don't say "Miami sucks....because they do".  That's not helpful.

• Thanks 1

I too need to know if this Nelson Souza worldwide high stakes rankings thing is real.   Is there a WFFT like the World Poker Tour or something?   Do they have draft events at the Borgatta in Sicily?

1 hour ago, jmausen said:

Dolphins are an 8-8 +/- 2 win team.  The Jets and Bills are not super awesome this year.

Everyone thinks Miami is the worst team in the NFL this year.  It doesn't make any sense.  Nobody has any useful information to support the Dolphins being a bad team.  Quarterbacks are better.  Downgrade at RT.  Gase was replaced with a bunch of Patriots coaches and Jim Caldwell. 

They won 7 games last year with Tennehill hurt and Brock starting 1/3rd of their games: 6 wins minimum.  I won't be surprised if they are not eliminated from the playoffs week 15.  Vegas said the Bears and Browns were the worst teams in the NFL last year.  They're giving Miami nice betting odds.  So what?

Caldwell is the assistant head coach.  The defense isn't bad.  The offense will be competent.  I like Gesicki.  He should get plenty of targets.

Please don't say "Miami sucks....because they do".  That's not helpful.

The offseason narrative was "rebuild" for this team, so that's all anyone really knows about their plans, and they click, whirr into a "they'll be terrible" mindset and dont pay closer attention.     The line between 8 wins and bottom five team is thin.   The difference is often a motivated team in December who wins two extra games because they get opponents that are quitting on their coach.     

They very well could be bad, but this is far from a sure thing.   A new coach opens up all sorts of possibilities.    You also pointed out the obvious too:  Never ever assume you know who the worst team in the AFC East is.  The floor is bottomless for three franchises there in the last decade.    

New qb's, new coaches, mediocre receiver's drawing targets, he's got a year of experience under his belt... I don't know, the situation seems ripe for this kid to step up.  Assuming he doesn't just suck which he very likely does.  I think I'd take him over Seals-Jones if that means anything haha.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, BrianM said:

I too need to know if this Nelson Souza worldwide high stakes rankings thing is real.   Is there a WFFT like the World Poker Tour or something?   Do they have draft events at the Borgatta in Sicily?

I didn’t know there was a ranking but I guess there is a WCOFF( world championship of fantasy football). I heard him on a podcast that he was very well respected ffb player so I googled his name and came up with those stats.

Edited by ellie826