RMJ_12

Ronald Jones 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)

I didn't want to start a thread just to talk trash about a player, but here I go.

I think he is actually as bad as advertised.  He was among the worst even in college in yards created.  He basically gets what's blocked.  The coaching staff that drafted him didn't even believe in him last year.  I'd much rather just take a chance in the last round on Bruce Anderson than draft Ronald Jones in the 9th round.  I'd even rather take Barber in the 11th.

The Ronald Jones hype will either die or get crazy come August.  Don't fall for it.

Edited by RMJ_12

26 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

I didn't want to start a thread just to talk trash about a player, but here I go.

I think he is actually as bad as advertised.  He was among the worst even in college in yards created.  He basically gets what's blocked.  The coaching staff that drafted him didn't even believe in him last year.  I'd much rather just take a chance in the last round on Bruce Anderson than draft Ronald Jones in the 9th round.  I'd even rather take Barber in the 11th.

The Ronald Jones hype will either die or get crazy come August.  Don't fall for it.

When he showed up in Tampa Bay, here had a bad attitude, acting like he was hot s---. He went out a lot and didn't put the work in he should have, which is why he never earned the job. He didn't get much of a chance, and when he did he was hit in the backfield more often than not, which in turn was a big hit to his confidence. That being said, I think he's in for a turnaround year. He's been a standout already this off-season. Arians has talked him up and the lead back in any Arians system is something you should want a part of.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, the_dying_dream said:

When he showed up in Tampa Bay, here had a bad attitude, acting like he was hot s---. He went out a lot and didn't put the work in he should have, which is why he never earned the job. He didn't get much of a chance, and when he did he was hit in the backfield more often than not, which in turn was a big hit to his confidence. That being said, I think he's in for a turnaround year. He's been a standout already this off-season. Arians has talked him up and the lead back in any Arians system is something you should want a part of.

I remembered he also had trouble transitioning from zone to gap schemes but I can't find that.

I do see the O-line didn't do them any favors - and they didn't draft any reinforcements there (somewhat understandably as their defense was even worse).

Stand-out in camp or not, he may still not be a top-10 back, but at his current ADP (round 10) he is a very affordable flyer.

Edited by Boudewijn

Would it be the craziest of ideas to draft both understanding you'll likely discard the wrong one? 

Like dying said above, having an Arian's back is pretty cool. 

39 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Would it be the craziest of ideas to draft both understanding you'll likely discard the wrong one? 

Like dying said above, having an Arian's back is pretty cool. 

Well I'm sure whoever is named the starter sky rockets in ADP come August.  Especially if it's Jones.

You know what else is cool?  BRUCE Arians... BRUCE Anderson... that's cool as sh*t.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the_dying_dream said:

He's been a standout already this off-season. Arians has talked him up

I think there's a chance Arians is just trying to boost the kid's confidence after such an awful rookie year.

3 hours ago, the_dying_dream said:

He didn't get much of a chance, and when he did he was hit in the backfield more often than not, which in turn was a big hit to his confidence.

I kind of see this as a negative.  Even the coaching staff that drafted him wouldn't even give him a chance.  0 carries in the last 4 games when the team had nothing to play for.

1 hour ago, RMJ_12 said:

I think there's a chance Arians is just trying to boost the kid's confidence after such an awful rookie year.

I kind of see this as a negative.  Even the coaching staff that drafted him wouldn't even give him a chance.  0 carries in the last 4 games when the team had nothing to play for.

Ah but Dirk Koetter did. I think Arians is doing exactly what RMJ said. Boost his confidence and give him a second shot. If he fails then they just draft a RB from the 20 class which is deep. 

Im drafting this dude everywhere.

Yeah he's a buy...limited competition arians is familiar with how to use rbs that can run and catch... his receiving thus far college and pro has been greatly underutilized 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, hard1 said:

Yeah he's a buy...limited competition arians is familiar with how to use rbs that can run and catch... his receiving thus far college and pro has been greatly underutilized 

Based on what?

Posted (edited)

Quotes from his rb coach last year. Sounds like he didnt think much of Jones hands.

“IN COLLEGE, THERE WAS PROBABLY A REASON WHY HE WAS ONLY THROWN THE BALL 17 TIMES,” SPENCER SAID, PER JENNA LAINE OF ESPN. 

“HE’S NEVER GOING TO BE THE BEST CATCHING GUY ON THE TEAM, BUT HE CERTAINLY CAN IMPROVE ON CATCHING THE BALLS THAT WE WANT TO THROW TO HIM — ESPECIALLY THE ROUTES THAT WE HAVE,” SAID SPENCER. “WITH HIS SPEED, WE NEED HIM TO BE ABLE TO CATCH THE BALLS DOWN THE FIELD.”

Edited by Stonej14

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

Quotes from his rb coach last year. Sounds like he didnt think much of Jones hands.

“[largest font available]"

Dude. I have eye Ebola now.

tenor.gif

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1

Holy s--- that eye thing is gonna haunt me for a bit here.

Anyone pitching that he's got potential because of Arians- if you're willing to argue that a bit more I'm interested.   Obviously David Johnson stands out as an Arians back with success, but I'm not coming up with much else in his history.   Steelers days were......Mendenhall I think?    Pre DJ his Cardinal backs were a journeyman bunch.     He's not exactly Shanahan turning UDFA's into 1200 yard rushers every couple of years.   

• Haha 1

Hey I agree... glass half empty he did nothing of note and in practice.... glass half full they at least have him running routes... that mean they will let him? Dunno but round 10... I'm buying all day long... he has the best chance to out produce his adp...

8 minutes ago, hard1 said:

Hey I agree... glass half empty he did nothing of note and in practice.... glass half full they at least have him running routes... that mean they will let him? Dunno but round 10... I'm buying all day long... he has the best chance to out produce his adp...

I guess my opinion is just set in stone until I see something out of the guy.  I honestly just believe he is a bad football player.  The fact that he was a 2nd round pick is mind blowing imo.  I'll have to check back in August, but right now I think he's the worst value on the team seeing as how a starter hasn't even been named yet.

• Like 3

The good news:

1- His only competition is Peyton Barber. 

2- The Bucs knew they only had Barber/Jones and with their 8 draft picks they didn't take a RB (actually took a kicker in the 5th round) and didn't bring in any viable RB candidates (ellington was out of football last year)

3- New offense. The offense was prolific last year but clearly didn't work for Jones. The shift to Arians can only be viewed as a positive. 

4- Plenty of talent at WR/QB/TE, even if Winston is erratic he still puts up points so a RB in that type of offense should do well. 

The negative:

1- He might just suck. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

The good news:

2- The Bucs knew they only had Barber/Jones and with their 8 draft picks they didn't take a RB (actually took a kicker in the 5th round) and didn't bring in any viable RB candidates (ellington was out of football last year)

3- New offense. The offense was prolific last year but clearly didn't work for Jones. The shift to Arians can only be viewed as a positive. 

4- Plenty of talent at WR/QB/TE, even if Winston is erratic he still puts up points so a RB in that type of offense should do well. 

The negative:

1- He might just suck. 

The exact same argument for Barber. With the exception being that Barber has shown some talent. Depends on cost.

13 minutes ago, devaster said:

The exact same argument for Barber. With the exception being that Barber has shown some talent. Depends on cost.

3 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

The good news:

The negative:

1- He might just suck. 

the backfield is more than just barber / jones. given an opportunity, we might see someone else emerging. bruce anderson has a decent shot if given the touches.

https://www.bucsnation.com/2019/5/19/18631370/what-do-tampa-bay-buccaneers-have-bruce-anderson-north-dakota-state-university-2019-05-19

BrilliantClearcutGrizzlybear-size_restri

FemaleLinedAmethystgemclam-max-1mb.gif

NeedyComplexAmericanratsnake-size_restri

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, devaster said:

Of course. Barber has the advantage of being a known stable commodity that lacks talent. While Jones has the advantage of being a 2nd round pick and someone the team would prefer to build around. I own Jones in a dynasty league but if I had to bet on who is the RB Week 1, it's Barber. 

47 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

the backfield is more than just barber / jones. given an opportunity, we might see someone else emerging. bruce anderson has a decent shot if given the touches.

https://www.bucsnation.com/2019/5/19/18631370/what-do-tampa-bay-buccaneers-have-bruce-anderson-north-dakota-state-university-2019-05-19

True, but there are also some really nice gifs of Ronald Jones running all over real college defenses, not Sam Houston/Delaware etc..