RMJ_12

Ronald Jones 2019 Outlook

4 minutes ago, FANattic86 said:

Look at his upcoming schedule, anyone picking him up this week will be very disappointed 

That was said last week about the Rams. They got shredded.

41 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Riiight. Except he literally did. Like, in the post I was quoting. 

Y'all confused if you think "league winning" has to mean that he scores 40 points. League winning can be "Saquon went down and it's either Duke or Rojo." Lots of championships are DIRTY.

Also not sure how everyone "knows" Rojo won't be a *bonafide* league winner. Seems to me that most folks have been wrong about him so far........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, TLBDS said:

Y'all confused if you think "league winning" has to mean that he scores 40 points. League winning can be "Saquon went down and it's either Duke or Rojo." Lots of championships are DIRTY.

Also not sure how everyone "knows" Rojo won't be a *bonafide* league winner. Seems to me that most folks have been wrong about him so far........

Right, this is a battle of attrition and you can never have too many productive rbs on roster. Never know what will happen. CJA, Dwilliams and Henry made a big splash last year and no one (with the exception of DHC in re: Henry) was expecting it. If FFB was so predictable, it would be boring. 

8 minutes ago, TLBDS said:

Semantics, but if "league winning" means viable flex, than 40 RBs are league winners and the term loses all meaning. 

But fair enough. 

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

Semantics, but if "league winning" means viable flex, than 40 RBs are league winners and the term loses all meaning. 

But fair enough. 

I think league winner means someone who you picked up whether in the draft or on waiver and they overly exceed their expectations.  You are getting someone consistent of a great value almost for free.  With assumption that your early picks are also panning out, you should have a complete team.

41 minutes ago, Zangief80 said:

I think league winner means someone who you picked up whether in the draft or on waiver and they overly exceed their expectations.  You are getting someone consistent of a great value almost for free.  With assumption that your early picks are also panning out, you should have a complete team.

It takes more than that in my book. They would need to exceed expectations so much that they were far and away the foundation of your championship team, not just one piece of a complete team. Rojo ascending from bench/waiver fodder to RB2 would not qualify. It actually doesn't happen that often but the term is thrown around ALOT here. I get it though...people are always hoping for the next Kamara...

1 minute ago, owenmills said:

It takes more than that in my book. They would need to exceed expectations so much that they were far and away the foundation of your championship team, not just one piece of a complete team. Rojo ascending from bench/waiver fodder to RB2 would not qualify. It actually doesn't happen that often but the term is thrown around ALOT here. I get it though...people are always hoping for the next Kamara...

I agree, maybe the term "league winning" is a bit much.  But it is true, each year there is a waiver wire/very late pick that ends up helping people get wins down the stretch.  If RoJo can continue to put up 10-15 points each week (depending on format) he's going to help a lot of people through the bye weeks.

Posted (edited)

Image result for rojojojo

sorry for the size, kinda childish but made me chuckle 🤷‍♂️ #childhood

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Threw back Rojo early in the season when he was a minnow.  Now I see he's become an enormous large mouth bass that I can't catch.  Sad.

• Haha 2

RoJo's ceiling in this offense is low-end RB1. When given the opportunity this season he's been a beast. Evaded 7 tackles on 19 carries last week and was ferocious doing it. He looks legitimately big out there yet has the footwork and body control to be one of the most elusive RB's in the league. Really impressive combination that you don't see often. 

Take away Week 2's injury ruined performance and he's sitting at 12.8 FPG, tied with Josh Jacobs for RB21. A big second half of the year is likely if not probable for our prodigal son Ronald Jones. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jetdog16 said:

RoJo's ceiling in this offense is low-end RB1

I honestly think he might end up giving RoJo near David Johnson volume. Considering how much better the receivers are on this Bucs team than the 2016 Cards that would be scary.

On 6/16/2019 at 7:23 PM, RMJ_12 said:

I didn't want to start a thread just to talk trash about a player, but here I go.

I think he is actually as bad as advertised.  He was among the worst even in college in yards created.  He basically gets what's blocked.  The coaching staff that drafted him didn't even believe in him last year.  I'd much rather just take a chance in the last round on Bruce Anderson than draft Ronald Jones in the 9th round.  I'd even rather take Barber in the 11th.

The Ronald Jones hype will either die or get crazy come August.  Don't fall for it.

This isn’t aging too well. 

5 minutes ago, y2jbones said:

No need to call out others here. As good as RJ looked our guy still isn’t a finished product yet in that system, so let’s not jinx it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Regarding his pass protection / pass catching ability (or lack thereof):

1. Is there any update or anecdotes on how he’s developed in that area (particularly pass protection) thus far in the season? I think a read a recent post on here or somewhere else about how he still looked lost on a passing play.

2. In recent fantasy football history, is there a good example of a high performing RB who gets absolutely no 3rd down work and partially split the early down work?

It kinda sucks this Dare guy is around to cap any potential upside Jones might have in this department. Even if Dare were to pick up an injury, the Bucs probably would just go re-sigh Ellington. Thinking the best play (though no one wants to hear this) is to sell high on Jones to an owner who’s bought into this recent hype (highlights, PFF grade, FF waiver wire columns, etc.) and isn’t aware of the details that create enough probable downside to scare someone off. I know people will counter with “you can’t get anything of value for Ronald Jones so you might as well stick it out”, but I disagree here and think he holds a lot of value in the FF community given his recent performance, draft capital, and the universal perception that Peyton Barber is a JAG.

In the past, I’ve let emotions prevent me from going with my gut and selling high (see: Watkins, Sammy) so really trying to avoid another one of those scenarios. I hate to be negative and I hope I’m wrong (if I end up keeping him, of course), but I can honestly still see scenarios where he is severely outsnapped and puts up low single digits numbers on a regular basis, subsequently followed by people bashing Arians and calling him a bad coach (a la McCarthy and Nagy).

Edited by nb009

7 minutes ago, nb009 said:

1. Is there any update or anecdotes on how he’s developed in that area (particularly pass protection) thus far in the season? I think a read a recent post on here or somewhere else about how he still looked lost on a passing play.

2. In recent fantasy football history, is there a good example of a high performing RB who gets absolutely no 3rd down work and partially split the early down work?

It kinda sucks this Dare guy is around to cap any potential upside Jones might have in this department. Even if Dare were to pick up an injury, the Bucs probably would just go re-sigh Ellington. Thinking the best play (though no one wants to hear this) is to sell high on Jones to an owner who’s bought into this recent hype (highlights, PFF grade, FF waiver wire columns, etc.) and isn’t aware of the details that create a highly probable downside.

In the past, I’ve let emotions prevent me from going with my gut and selling high (see: Watkins, Sammy) so really trying to avoid another one of those scenarios. I hate to be negative and I hope I’m wrong (if I end up keeping him, of course), but I can honestly still see scenarios where he is severely outsnapped and puts up low single digits numbers on a regular basis, subsequently followed by people bashing Arians and calling him a bad coach (a la McCarthy and Nagy).

I mean, being in on third downs isn’t the only way to get receptions. I think of Kareem Hunt his rookie year. He was plenty involved in the receiving game but West was in on most third downs/hurry up offense. Dare can keep his role and Jone’s could still end up with a few receptions a game 

13 minutes ago, nb009 said:

It kinda sucks this Dare guy is around to cap any potential upside Jones might have in this department. Even if Dare were to pick up an injury, the Bucs probably would just go re-sigh Ellington. Thinking the best play (though no one wants to hear this) is to sell high on Jones to an owner who’s bought into this recent hype (highlights, PFF grade, FF waiver wire columns, etc.) and isn’t aware of the details that create enough probable downside to scare someone off. I know people will counter with “you can’t get anything of value for Ronald Jones so you might as well stick it out”, but I disagree here and think he holds a lot of value in the FF community given his recent performance, draft capital, and the universal perception that Peyton Barber is a JAG.

A fair and sobering perspective.   I still view Rojo as a developing asset who hasn’t yet unseated the incumbent.   It’s still going to be hit and miss until we hear some kind of shift in the narrative from the CS.  That could happen in 2 weeks or next season for all we know.  A lot to like about the development of his game.  

Now I cant speak for every owner....but it’s difficult to see getting any substantial pieces for Rojo in trade currently.  Nowhere near the value of being patient and seeing him ascend to the top of the depth chart.   

3 hours ago, y2jbones said:

So you’re saying he was drafted highly in fantasy football?

Or are you saying he’s been good in fantasy football?

Either way you’re wrong...

This is just my observations and opinion. He should be starting soon and should be given the “bell-cow snaps”. He is playing a lot better than anyone they have at that position on the team. 

Posted (edited)

[...] The Match up isnt thrilling since Gurley and Zeke both had under 70 yards rushing and Rojo is def not near that level nor is the line IMO. I can see Rojo finishing around rb20-30 a good close RB2/flex play. The passing game is obv what defenses first concern will be which hopefully will lead to not many stacked boxes. Love guys like this that make you think and drive you nuts lol

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Assistant Coach content

30 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

So you’re saying he was drafted highly in fantasy football?

Or are you saying he’s been good in fantasy football?

Either way you’re wrong...

This wasn’t a personal attack on you, merely showcasing how much his value has changed since the offseason. It’s not like I knew any better. I didn’t draft him. It’s clear he is talented and the best back on Tampa Bay now. Yes, he has been good in fantasy football the past two weeks, 13 & 15 points PPR.

• Like 1

Feel like this cat could be a league winner down the stretch. Never thought I'd say that before this season, as awful as he looked last year. Barber is a decent back but his upside is severely capped compared to RJ.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, griffin727 said:

Feel like this cat could be a league winner down the stretch. Never thought I'd say that before this season, as awful as he looked last year. Barber is a decent back but his upside is severely capped compared to RJ.

I just went back and watched some of RoJo rushes from the last couple weeks, he is looking pretty good. Much better than Barber IMO and much better than his rookie year. 

3 hours ago, nb009 said:

I understand what you're saying, but what would you get by "selling high" right now?

Most of us are aware that RoJo should've had 150 yards rushing last week if not for penalties, but are other owners in your league aware of that? Probably not.

His upside is taking most of the 1st/2nd down work and goal line carries on a high powered offense. Downside? He continues to split carries with Barber, putting up volatile stat lines. If you're a betting man, which of those scenarios do you think has a better chance of happening? My eyes tell me the former.

• Like 1

In order to be #1 ranked by PFF, the pass blocking must be good, because it is included in the grade.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, griffin727 said:

Its a long ways away, but their schedule weeks 14-16 is not bad for rbs