Csiebert5

Statcast Stats and Leaderboards

Here we can discuss Statcast data and stats such as expected stats, exit velocity, barrels, etc.

To start off some discussion:

—How often does everyone use/rely upon Statcast data such as xwOBA?

Last year I would occasionally check the xwOBA leaderboards and always saw Carpenter among the league leaders. It wasn’t until his scorching hot breakout that I really started to believe in this stat because it legitimately predicted him breaking out of his slump in a tremendous way. Another good find last year was Ross Stripling who was among the leaders in xwOBA for pitchers. Wouldn’t have added him and had a good stretch of starts from him without xwOBA. I rely upon this stat pretty heavily now.

—Another question maybe someone could help clarify... does xwOBA penalize players in hitter friendly parks? I’m looking at Rockies hitters and pretty much every regular starter is playing well above their xwOBA. Including guys like Blackmon, Arendado, and Story who’s xwOBA are not very impressive. It seems skewed towards Rockies players. Can’t seem to find anything that states the stat factors in park adjustments or anything of the sort. Anyone able to clarify or guess why this is?

(hopefully this topic isn’t discussed elsewhere I couldn’t find anything in the search or index forum)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Csiebert5 said:

Here we can discuss Statcast data and stats such as expected stats, exit velocity, barrels, etc.

To start off some discussion:

—How often does everyone use/rely upon Statcast data such as xwOBA?

Last year I would occasionally check the xwOBA leaderboards and always saw Carpenter among the league leaders. It wasn’t until his scorching hot breakout that I really started to believe in this stat because it legitimately predicted him breaking out of his slump in a tremendous way. Another good find last year was Ross Stripling who was among the leaders in xwOBA for pitchers. Wouldn’t have added him and had a good stretch of starts from him without xwOBA. I rely upon this stat pretty heavily now.

—Another question maybe someone could help clarify... does xwOBA penalize players in hitter friendly parks? I’m looking at Rockies hitters and pretty much every regular starter is playing well above their xwOBA. Including guys like Blackmon, Arendado, and Story who’s xwOBA are not very impressive. It seems skewed towards Rockies players. Can’t seem to find anything that states the stat factors in park adjustments or anything of the sort. Anyone able to clarify or guess why this is?

(hopefully this topic isn’t discussed elsewhere I couldn’t find anything in the search or index forum)difference between wOBA and xwOBA to properly eliminate park factors from the equation.

This article indicates xwOBA accounts for park factors - and if you want to know the effect of the park factor, you need to focus on the difference between wOBA and xwOBA:

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/2018-statcast-park-factors-not-quite-factors/

Edited by BMcP
  • Thanks 1